City Navigator NT 2010

A.T.Hiker

I just updated to the City Navigator NT 2010 mapset for my 60Cx. It seems to be taking forever to find any points of interest - all I get is the hour glass going around in circles on the page. It finds one or two things eventually, but not the one I want. City Select worked much better and faster on this unit.

As I play around some more, none of the search queries seem to be working properly. I can't find anything by it's name.

I only have about 10 states and 400 MB of maps on the card. Any thoughts?

hmm, well i read your post, picked up my 60csx and did a few random searches, and couldn't reproduce the error. I have CNNT 2010 on mine as well and can search by name in any category and under "all poi's" so i'm not sure what's going on. You may wanna give garmin's tech support a call. I've heard of a few other people having this issue but, am not aware of the resolution.

This is what it does. Farmstead is a golf course about 12 miles from here. It cannot find it under "All Categories" with the option "Find by Name". It eventually finds it after many minutes using the "Nearest Containing" option.

searchque3.jpg

searchque.jpg

It stinks, because even when it works, it is annoyingly slow.

Edited by Team R2

Yeah, i hear ya, that's just awful. I wish i knew how to help you. I looked over your posts and saw that you only had about 400 mb of maps on the card. I have a 2 gig card in mine with the entire us city nav, ohio and the surrounding states of topo us '08, and a gpsfiledepot map. I do know that the NT version of city nav is compressed differently to save space so that may be the issue. I'm not sure why it would be though, we're essentially using the same unit, with the same maps. Unfortunately, i'm savvy enough to get maps, poi's and other things to work, but as far as the file and indexing system of these things, i'm totally clueless.

Back in the day .. when computers were slower ... yada, yada ... we used to have a trick when we encountered problems like that. Just reload the maps. Sometimes Mapsource can corrupt the database search files or its indexes when it's compiling them. I know it's a pain but it's surprising how often that solves problems like this.

...ken...

When you use "Find by Name", it wants the whole name. The "containing" usage is what you need.....

Yes, but sometimes you can't fit the whole name (as with "Farmstead golf and country club). Other times you may not know the whole name. City Select used to bring up an alphabetical list as soon as I began typing the name.

Maybe I'll try what another poster said - reloading the maps.