question about e-trex venture hc

Let's say you have a favorite hunting blind that you want to get back to...

When you enter it as a way-point you can then assign an icon to it. So you choose an "outdoorsy" looking symbol.

Same for fishing... there are special Marine icons already built in to the GPSr.

Now you can search by symbol and see only specific way-points.

Hi All.

I recently purchased a new Venture HC. I mainly use it for caching. I would like to know how I transfer maps to and from it.

I downloaded a map from here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/

and saved the map. I then downloaded the USB driver.

After I downloaded the map, the only folder I could find in the Venture was "Garmin Device."

I moved it to this file. But now I cant seem to find it on my GPS.

I am confused why file explorer didn't recognize the GPS unit. I am also confused why the file isn't loaded onto the GPS.

since it is an .img file, is that part of the issue ?

Thanks

Hi All.

I recently purchased a new Venture HC. I mainly use it for caching. I would like to know how I transfer maps to and from it.

After I downloaded the map, the only folder I could find in the Venture was "Garmin Device."

I am confused why file explorer didn't recognize the GPS unit. I am also confused why the file isn't loaded onto the GPS.

Thanks

The map has to be installed into MapSource on a PC. Your HC should have came with a MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD, install that, install the map, open MapSource and you will be able to send maps to your HC. Follow the tutorial below:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

Edited by coggins

So I've tried everything, but mapset doesn't seem to be able to recognize the .img file.

mapsetandimgfilenotfound.jpg

I have the file in the "our Maps" directory. But, when I go to laod it into mapset, it wont find it...very very frustrating.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks

oh, BTW, it is the GMAPSUPP file that isn't found...

Hi All.

Thanks

As the other poster indicated, first you have to install MapSource. Then install the map that you downloaded in gpsfiledepot. Then, open MapSource. There is a small window on the left hand side of the tool bar that has a menu with all of the installed map layers - go into that menu and select the map that you downloaded. Then, use the map tool to select quadrants from the map. The quadrants that you selected will turn pink and the names of each quadrant will appear in the sidebar. At the bottom of the sidebar you will see an indicator for the size of the file that you are building. The Venture HC will accept a file up to 24MB (actually a little smaller than that). After you have built the file, use MapSource to send it to your gps (it will take several minutes to complete the transfer). Depending upon how intend to use the maps, you might want to save the map set. Then, if you transfer a different map set to your gpsr and then want to revert, you will have it.

So I've tried everything, but mapset doesn't seem to be able to recognize the .img file.

I have the file in the "our Maps" directory. But, when I go to laod it into mapset, it wont find it...very very frustrating.

You don't need MapSetToolkit to install the map, but you need to download the correct one with the installer:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/download.php?map_id=28

To install it, just doubleclick on the .exe file and it will install. GMAPSUPP.IMG files don't get installed into MapSource.

You don't need MapSetToolkit to install the map, but you need to download the correct one with the installer:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/download.php?map_id=28

To install it, just doubleclick on the .exe file and it will install. GMAPSUPP.IMG files don't get installed into MapSource.

I GOT IT !!!!

Thanks for your help. It was very frustrating, but with perseverance, we made it through !!!

thanks alot for your help...

-Tim