Help! I'm married to a muggle!

Thefukowis

My wife just doesn't get it......she thinks I'm obsessed or is it posessed by the hunt! ;)

I get up log on and viola a new cache that hasn't been found,gotta go,see ya.kiss kiss,goodbye.I guess she doesn't like wading thru waste high weeds and thorns,gettin bit by a hundred mosquitoes,what did I just step in :wub: , and dodging snakes and the occasional skunk.Kids absolutely LOVE it though so I guess its just me and them.Are there any other muggle lovin geo-widows out there?

My wife has decided after stepping in a fire ant hill that she doesn't want to cache until the weather turns cooler. I'm sure that once it gets cool enough for the ants to stay burrowed in, it'll be too cold to cache then.

Although, she did enjoy the FTF on December 25th at 8:15 a.m. and the FTF before the fire ant incident. I believe that she's a fair weather cacher.

My girlfriend tagged along the first weekend, or two. Since then, she avoids my geocaching trips at all costs.

She's more of a flip-flops kinda girl. Even when we would go birding together, she would wear flip-flops instead of proper/suitable footwear for a hike. She's in her own little world. :)

I've actually had the same problem except it's the hubby. He'll tolerate it to a very brief point. He's made a couple of finds but, on anything that takes more than 5 minutes, he loses interest. It really sucks because I'm usually in it for the long haul (I'll stay there until I find it).

We are generally hiking cachers which means I need to just move along with him once I can tell he's not amused anymore. It's a lot of give and take, as is everything in a relationship. I know he does it only since he knows it's something I love, so I have to walk away when I can tell he's had enough. The caveat here, is that I invited him out to spend time with me or that we had plans to go hiking together. When I know I just want to go caching/hiking, I tell him my intentions and I go out on my own. He has no problem with this. Yes, he does still think I'm really weird but I make fun of him for his computer games (WoW) so we're even.

I've actually had the same problem except it's the hubby. He'll tolerate it to a very brief point. He's made a couple of finds but, on anything that takes more than 5 minutes, he loses interest. It really sucks because I'm usually in it for the long haul (I'll stay there until I find it).

We are generally hiking cachers which means I need to just move along with him once I can tell he's not amused anymore. It's a lot of give and take, as is everything in a relationship. I know he does it only since he knows it's something I love, so I have to walk away when I can tell he's had enough. The caveat here, is that I invited him out to spend time with me or that we had plans to go hiking together. When I know I just want to go caching/hiking, I tell him my intentions and I go out on my own. He has no problem with this. Yes, he does still think I'm really weird but I make fun of him for his computer games (WoW) so we're even.

The answer is simple, really. You gotta dump him and marry me. :)

My girlfriend tagged along the first weekend, or two. Since then, she avoids my geocaching trips at all costs.

She's more of a flip-flops kinda girl. Even when we would go birding together, she would wear flip-flops instead of proper/suitable footwear for a hike. She's in her own little world. :)

I do that! I wear my flips geocaching, golfing & anything else I can get away with!! I've started taking along my shoes... but, yeah! LOVE my flips!!!

My husband goes with me, but thats more because I have a tendancy to get hurt doing nothing, so you can imagine how dangerous I am in nature!! A few weeks ago, we had to step over a barbed wire fence that was maybe a foot off the ground. I told him I wouldn't make it! Sure enough, stupid fence took me out!! So yeah... he'd be a muggle if he could, but for my own safety, he can't be!

I was kind of thinking a muggle was only someone who damages/takes/pillages geocaches.

Originally, it was just someone who doesn't geocache. That's why "muggled" is kind of a misnomer. It suggests two wrong ideas: that muggles are all malicious, and that the damage could not have been done by a cacher.

I'm married to a semi-muggle (mudblood?). She acts like it's ridiculous, and somehow we always end up in thorns and nettles when I take her along, but she often has fun despite herself.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I was kind of thinking a muggle was only someone who damages/takes/pillages geocaches.

Originally, it was just someone who doesn't geocache. That's why "muggled" is kind of a misnomer. It suggests two wrong ideas: that muggles are all malicious, and that the damage could not have been done by a cacher.

Yeah, and its also morphed into "Muggler" As in watch for Mugglers. I'm convinced more Geocachers than not have no idea where the term muggle comes from.

And yep, I married a muggle. The wife thinks Geocaching is stupid. You know the worst part about that? It makes my children Mudbloods!! They'll never get ahead in the wizarding world now. :)

My girlfriend thinks I'm ridiculous with my new obsession for it. She did 30 with me in one day and I think she needs it in much smaller doses. Can't imagine how she would have fared on my day of 51. :-s (she was at work that day)

We have this agreement lately. The agreement is I try not to mention geocaching every moment of every day and she continues to love me. :-D

Wife loves it - We are Jeep4Two after all. Her geo-senses are much sharper than mine and we both really enjoy getting out, hiking and the activity.

I however have to take point on the woodland trails, clear out the spider webs with my face, point out slippery spots, snakes, critters, and the like.

Ahh - fun fun. . .

She's more of a flip-flops kinda girl. Even when we would go birding together, she would wear flip-flops instead of proper/suitable footwear for a hike. She's in her own little world. :D

I do that! I wear my flips geocaching, golfing & anything else I can get away with!! I've started taking along my shoes... but, yeah! LOVE my flips!!!

My husband goes with me, but thats more because I have a tendancy to get hurt doing nothing, so you can imagine how dangerous I am in nature!! A few weeks ago, we had to step over a barbed wire fence that was maybe a foot off the ground. I told him I wouldn't make it! Sure enough, stupid fence took me out!! So yeah... he'd be a muggle if he could, but for my own safety, he can't be!

Hope you married a Paramedic! :drama:

wife doesn't go doesn't like to see new sights or new places but the dog does and the kids do kinda good way to get out of the house just say

I'm going GC.

Start showering, shaving, putting on aftershave and dress in your best clothes before you go "caching". Leave the kids at home. Soon enough, your wife will demand that you take her with you.

Neither my hubby or my dog (these really are two different individuals) like geocaching, so I just leave them at home to take care of each other and go out caching by myself. It’s more fun without the whining.

Who is the bigger whiner - hubby or the dog? :D

Edited by popokiiti

My wife just doesn't get it......she thinks I'm obsessed or is it posessed by the hunt! :mad:

I get up log on and viola a new cache that hasn't been found,gotta go,see ya.kiss kiss,goodbye.I guess she doesn't like wading thru waste high weeds and thorns,gettin bit by a hundred mosquitoes,what did I just step in :D , and dodging snakes and the occasional skunk.Kids absolutely LOVE it though so I guess its just me and them.Are there any other muggle lovin geo-widows out there?

I hear ya. My wife is a non-cacher, despite my attempts to show her the hobby. She however understands that I quite enjoy it, and generally doesn't have any qualms with me running off at unusual hours or coming home late if I say I'm heading for a cache.

On a related note, I even managed to find a cache on my wedding day :mad:. I was a bit worried I wouldn't have time, but when you wake up at like... 6:00am out of anticipation/nervousness... plenty of time to find a cache before things get rolling :drama:

My wife just doesn't get it......she thinks I'm obsessed or is it posessed by the hunt! :drama:

I get up log on and viola a new cache that hasn't been found,gotta go,see ya.kiss kiss,goodbye.I guess she doesn't like wading thru waste high weeds and thorns,gettin bit by a hundred mosquitoes,what did I just step in :D , and dodging snakes and the occasional skunk.Kids absolutely LOVE it though so I guess its just me and them.Are there any other muggle lovin geo-widows out there?

I feel for you. I have friends and loved ones that dont mind tagging along, but dont really care. My favorite part is the half second after everyone gets out of the car and they look at you and ask "so, where is it?" Ahhhhhh! If I KNEW where it was, that would negate the idea of a 'hunt'! Its the equivilent of the "are we there yet?" question!

Thankfully, my awesome and fellow caching friend Starsirius is a mainstay in my caching adventures, and never once has she uttered those cringe worthy words. Shes usually the first to be on her hands and knees sticking her hand elbow deep under a rock. Thank you, my friend.

Keep up the long battle.

My wife and I met and were married due to Geocaching.

I am much more obsessed than she, so I can kinda relate.

Just one of those things you have to accept.

They say it's healthy for the relationship to have interests that the other does not share...

I met my wife as a result of helping plan GW4 within weeks of having just attended GW3. :D

I proposed to her in camp the night before GW4 in front of MANY cachers from all over the country. :wub:

She has has been on a cache maintenance run with me (and complained the whole time) because her mother was visiting us and wanted to see what geocaching was like and she actually joined in a DNF hunt recently while we were at a rest stop on the way home from GW7.

She likes geocachers and enjoys events, but she thinks geocaching (the activity) is about the dumbest thing anyone would want to spend their time doing and this from a person who drops everything to harvest her electronic crops on Farmtown and Farmville. :rolleyes::D:D

My wife just doesn't get it......she thinks I'm obsessed or is it posessed by the hunt! :D

I get up log on and viola a new cache that hasn't been found,gotta go,see ya.kiss kiss,goodbye.I guess she doesn't like wading thru waste high weeds and thorns,gettin bit by a hundred mosquitoes,what did I just step in :rolleyes: , and dodging snakes and the occasional skunk.Kids absolutely LOVE it though so I guess its just me and them.Are there any other muggle lovin geo-widows out there?

Ha me too she thinks that me and my daughter are nerds.

I am married to a non-cacher. He will tolerate one cache on the way somewhere if it is on the road and will take less than 10 minutes.

Otherwise, I drop him off with a fishing pole and do a cache run before going back to pick him up (often with fast food as a present) and pretend to be interested in fishing for 15 minutes.

My husband doesn't think the hobby is stupid - he just isn't a huge fan of being outdoors unless the conditions are Just Right. (Which lets out summertime.) He's accompanied me to some urban camo caches and run interference for me with muggles ("Oh crap... I think that homeless guy is at ground zero." "Okay, lemme go take a look. It's a film can?") He's also gotten impatient when I prolonged our ride home to look for yet another cache.

My kids (as I've said in this space before) like caching if a friend is along, be it one of theirs or one of mine, caching pal or muggle. Otherwise it's just another thing Mom drags them to.

Fortunately, I've met other cache widow/ers at events and voila! Company and/or commiseration.

My husband and his friend were out fishing in front of our house and saw a guy sneakin around over by a tree...They watched him for a bit and he just stood there kinda watchin them too...so the guy finally left and my hubby went over to the tree and found a cache that kyle98632 had hidden lol. They just put it back and never said anything about it...well this was about 2 months ago or so...so then about a week ago I decide im gonna try to start this geocaching thing so he comes home from work and I said honey lets take the girls across the street and find this cache thats hidden over there...he was like I already found it like 2 months ago and had no clue what it was...i said where is it..hes like its in a tree lol...he thinks its totally lame though. What a party pooper...hopefully as soon as we get a gps my girls and I can go hunt...I think they will like it!

I have gotten into the habit of grabbing my geobag whenever we go anywhere and she gives that look that says "oh boy not again",and she says were not stopping anywhere.I just nod and say, Yes Dear,She also gets a little annoyed when were driving around and I have the gpsr on my knee tracking caches as we're going past them-I bet there's one right under that tree,sign,post,mailbox, ohhhh look we're within 100 feet pleeeeeaaaaaassseeee? I swear I sound like one of the kids.She doesn't mind that I go caching with the kids,in fact she encourages it, it gives her some alone time to do housework or shop.

The wife doesn't mind caching but doesn't that say it all? Doesn't mind, doesn't mind!??! I've only been doing this for a few months but have gotten to the point where I need my geofix every day or I can't sleep!

I've found that when my partner started telling me what she did and didn't want me to do, the best thing to do was do what I wanted, regardless. Sure the relationship ended but I still get to do what I want to. I find much more happiness this way.

Im fortunate enough to have a spouce that loves caching as much as I. But I believe the title of this thread should be "I married a MUDBLOOD". See a muggle is a person not aware of caching so you try to keep it from them, (stealth). But a mudblood is a person AWARE of caching-and respectful of it, but NOT cachers.

Im fortunate enough to have a spouce that loves caching as much as I. But I believe the title of this thread should be "I married a MUDBLOOD". See a muggle is a person not aware of caching so you try to keep it from them, (stealth). But a mudblood is a person AWARE of caching-and respectful of it, but NOT cachers.

That is if you believe the term "muggle" is actually related to Harry Potter lore and not just a word out of the dictionary.

Mudblood is highly derogatory whereas muggle is just a word, no different than, say, "cat".

My boyfriend and I have completly different opinions on caching, and it is the most frustrating thing in the world for me as I enjoy it so much more with someone. I keep trying to take him out, hoping that one of these times something will click, and suddenly he will enjoy it. More often than not though it ends in a huge fight and me not finding the cache cause I'm so distracted with all his moans and groans :P .I think today was the last time though, I'm a solo cacher from here on.