1,000,000th Cache Publication

If that spreadsheet is correct then it's counting disabled caches as active caches so the 1,000,000th active cache has not been published yet.

Ty bittsen... where you been?? I have been trying not to respond to that most of the afternoon as I was waiting for the return of the "Official Count Tracker " to give the update!

Well, apparently my guess of March 7 missed the mark by at least a couple of days. I was counting on a big weekend push, but I guess I underestimated that.
Your guess of March 7th was exactly correct.

You might want to note bittsens post a few above this one. I agree, the page linked has two disabled caches on it. This thread is about the 1 Millionth active cache. Not the "situation" you describe.

Well, apparently my guess of March 7 missed the mark by at least a couple of days. I was counting on a big weekend push, but I guess I underestimated that.

You might want to note bittsens post a few above this one. I agree, the page linked has two disabled caches on it. This thread is about the 1 Millionth active cache. Not the "situation" you describe.

The count displayed every day that is labeled "active geocaches around the world" includes those same temporarily disabled caches.

All we can measure is what we can measure.

The count displayed every day that is labeled "active geocaches around the world" includes those same temporarily disabled caches.

All we can measure is what we can measure.

WOW, that means we aren't even close to the ONE MILLIONth active geocache yet.

Now I'm sad.... and my latest cache is all but meaningless.

We're just watching the odometer roll over. You can't do much about the fact that the changed wheel size means you didn't REALLY just drive 1,000,000 miles.

That same count contains events that haven't happened, caches long gone that nobody has archived yet and caches some people don't even think have been placed.

What are you going to do? :D

Edited by beejay&esskay
We're just watching the odometer roll over. You can't do much about the fact that the changed wheel size means you didn't REALLY just drive 1,000,000 miles.

That same count contains events that haven't happened, caches long gone that nobody has archived yet and caches some people don't even think have been placed.

What are you going to do? :D

Hahaha!! True that! I guess there is no way to actually know. Not that it was a big deal, just interesting to me. I wasn't planning a party or anything!! And i don't have a cache listing in play so...

Congratulations, Groundspeak. You now have a million caches for us to play with.

Give or take.

A quick glance of my area shows a little more than 1% "temporarily" disabled caches that Groundspeak counts towards the "active cache" number.

If the number is an actual 1% worldwide then they still have about 9,000 to go.

January 2008

501,000 active caches

January 2007

January 2006

Febuary 2005

From 2006 - 2008 the number doubled from a quarter million to a half million. From Jan 2008 to now it doubled again. Based on that increase, by mid 2012 there will a projected 2,000,000 <_<

If you expect to claim the prize for predicting when the "odometer" rolls to 2,000,000, you need to give us an exact day.

(sigh... :) ...) and I didn't get as much as an email notification. That's the last time I'll play that game! <_<

Wow - first time I've been on this forum for AGES and I'm gobsmacked to see one of my very few threads is still on the go, AND that we've hit 7 figures. I wish I'd known a couple of days ago as 4 new ones of mine were published on Saturday. Hey ho - well done everyone who's contributed to getting it up to the magical number.

Happy caching, folks!

<_<

Forgive me if this is posted already. I didn't see anything, a similar thread but not exactly the same. Today I see we hit 1,000,000 active caches. it was quite a jump from the last report I saw. With an early spring this year it looks like some activity is going on. new caches being placed, caches deactivated for the winter are being activated. things are really starting to pick up. the jump is large enough that it is unlikely that the number will drop under. 1,000,000. I might be tooting my own horn a little bit with this statement but. Congrats to all us cache owners for helping out.

Now if we can just get people to stop placing so many bison tubes and nanos with no room to leave a trackable that would be great. I don't mind them as a stage in a multi but as the final it gets kind of boring. I like seeing what stuff is left behind and it is nice to find the occasional recently placed or unlisted geocoin or travel bug in there some of which fit into something as small as a match holder or film canister.

Now if we can just get people to stop placing so many bison tubes and nanos with no room to leave a trackable that would be great. I don't mind them as a stage in a multi but as the final it gets kind of boring. I like seeing what stuff is left behind and it is nice to find the occasional recently placed or unlisted geocoin or travel bug in there some of which fit into something as small as a match holder or film canister.

The overall increase in the number of active caches would seem to indicate an increase also in the number of active caches that can accomodate a geocoin or travel bug. Probably very little need for travel bug angst. <_<

Great! Then I'll claim the 1,000,000th cache.

Let's call GC24NAC the official millionth cache.

Actually, I'm sure that Groundspeak recognizes the public relations implications of being able to advertise a millionth cache. At a minimum they could pick a cache at random from the 2000 which were approved yesterday and tell everyone that said cache was selected to officially represent the millionth geocache.

PN

I'm guessing "no". They run a program daily to get the current value...so we will know what day it is.

One million is an arbitrary milestone derived from our Base 10 number system. There's no logical reason why # 1,000,000 is any more special than # 999,123 or # 1,000,505.
Does this mean that "1" is no more special then "2"...? <_< I'll try that with the next person to get a STF, comforting them saying it's just an arbitrary number and no less special then a FTF.... :)

Congratulations, Groundspeak. You now have a million caches for us to play with.

Give or take.

A quick glance of my area shows a little more than 1% "temporarily" disabled caches that Groundspeak counts towards the "active cache" number.

How were you able to determine that temp disabled caches don't count toward that number?
There are 1,001,001 active geocaches around the world.

Yeah, like that's not a made up number. Oh, and whoohoo for a million!

It's not code:

Or is it: <_<

"The Body Electric"

One humanoid escapee

One android on the run

Seeking freedom beneath a lonely desert sun

Trying to change its program

Trying to change the mode...crack the code

Images conflicting into data overload

[Chorus:]

1 0 0 1 0 0 1

SOS

1 0 0 1 0 0 1

In distress

1 0 0 1 0 0

Memory banks unloading

Bytes break into bits

Unit One's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits

Guidance systems break down

A struggle to exist

To resist

A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist

[Chorus]

It replays each of the days

A hundred years of routines

Bows its head and prays

To the mother of all machines

Or is it: <_<

"The Body Electric"

This was actually the first thing that went through my mind when I saw 1001001.

What is the significance of 1001001 in "The Body Electric?"

In the video, the protagonist is a prisoner attempting to escape from some sort of prison. The number on his uniform is 1001001. Many people have converted this number into decimal and noticed that ASCII 73 is a capital I and read significance into that, but I've never seen anything "official" on the subject. My opinion is that 1001001 was used because it fits and sounds neat.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Yes, yesterday we were about 4000 away in the morning when I logged in, must have been a busy busy day publishing caches. Do we know the official 1,000,000th?

Even if we could find out there is no real way to know which one set it over the top. We might be able to figure out What cache was the 1,000,000 to be published but with all the caches that are deactivated and archived no one is really the one millionth cache.

Give or take.

How were you able to determine that temp disabled caches don't count toward that number?

I used my brain, of course.

Give or take.

I used my brain, of course.

May I assume that even your brain doesn't know how the query is worded? <_<

May I assume that even your brain doesn't know how the query is worded? <_<

You may assume whatever you want.

If you want to assume that the millionth active cache is located in an alternate reality, you are free to do so.

If you want to know what data I used to come to my conclusion, well that's a different topic.

All you need to do is look at the list of all active caches, note which page that last (newest) cache appears on, then do a little math to find the number of "active" caches and then look at the list to see if it includes temporarily disabled caches.

It's so easy a caveman could do it.

I have been reading over the past 4 pages of banter, and all I want to know is,

WHERE IS IT?? (the millionth, or what we believe to be the millionth).

Does anyone have any idea? Or a rough idea?????

As near as I can tell, somewhere in Southern Ontario. Near a little town named Simcoe. I've never heard of it before.

OK... sorry... just kidding :) . Really, I don't believe there is any way of knowing. Since the count is for active caches, and caches are getting archived all the time, using the GC# doesn't do any good. Its really anybody's guess.

Yep. That was the first thing I thought of too. RUSH was the band of choice for the cool nerds in High School. :) I went to sleep listening to RUSH every night for many years.

It still saddens me when I hear RUSH played in an elevator. It happens from time to time. It makes me feel... old. :huh:

Yep. That was the first thing I thought of too. RUSH was the band of choice for the cool nerds in High School. :) I went to sleep listening to RUSH every night for many years.

It still saddens me when I hear RUSH played in an elevator. It happens from time to time. It makes me feel... old. :huh:

Dude... try the Beatles! I was an old dude when I first heard of Rush.