1,000,000th Cache Publication

All you need is a few caches in place and a sympathetic reviewer who will honor "please publish on March x" requests. Center your requests around March 7th, the day we will cross 1,000,000.

(I can't be the first to have thought of this so there will surely be a flood of 1,000,000 caches.)

The guy put out 3 (but all with same publish date...maybe reviewers won't play this game.)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9f-03f50fea64c2

So...After hitting the mark, will it ever fall below again?
I'll bet "no". Especially since we only get a once-a-day update of the value. (Unless the rumors of a mass kill-off planned by rogue reviewers are true.)

Or if someone else comes up with a better website, and people start to play there instead, it would take a long time, but migration could occur. That would result in a slowly dropping number. Not likely to happen anytime soon though, since they do such a good job here. :blink:

If all of us who have caches that we're waiting to submit in hopes of hitting "the day" would click the button it would probably happen tomorrow.

Why on Earth would people hold back on publishing caches until "the day?" There will be no way to tell you're the millionth active cache, you know.

If all of us who have caches that we're waiting to submit in hopes of hitting "the day" would click the button it would probably happen tomorrow.

Why on Earth would people hold back on publishing caches until "the day?" There will be no way to tell you're the millionth active cache, you know.

I will know when I get the email grom Jeremy awarding me my Platinum Membership for life, and unlimited free tracking numbers to make Geocoins with.

The first 1,000,000th cache? Or the second? Or the third?

In theory (as more than 1,000,000 have already been published) there might be one cache that is the 1,000,000th active cache - but if another cache is then archived, it'll drop back to 999,999th place. So the next cache published will then also be the 1,000,000th active cache. So which one is the real 1,000,000th active cache??

In truth, the 1,000,000th active cache has probably already been and gone. Unless you're only counting Groundspeak caches?

And does anybody really care?

I'm guessing "no". They run a program daily to get the current value...so we will know what day it is.

They could run it more frequently to narrow down the time interval, but we still wouldn't know exactly when we pass 1 million (and if they did run it hourly, for instance, we would be more likely to see it dip back below 1 million with archiving.)

Now if we get together and retrieve the "published" (time-stamped) logs on that fateful day...we could get a pretty good idea.

All caches published on the day we cross 1 million can claim to be the millionth...until we start to do the detailed analysis of the time-stamped published logs.
Will we know by the GC code?
No.

The millionth GC# was a long time ago. . .

THEY will tell us perhaps?
No.

Well, they will probably tell us the day it happens. . .

And does anybody really care?
No, not me.
There is a probably a film can shortage now.
You can probably infer what my thoughts on this matter are, if you know the answers of all the questions in this thread seem to follow the same trend.

:anitongue:

One million is an arbitrary milestone derived from our Base 10 number system. There's no logical reason why # 1,000,000 is any more special than # 999,123 or # 1,000,505.

It's just that "a million" is a hyped number. Sell a million records, and your record company gives you a platinum one. Theme parks give prizes to celebrate their millionth visitor. Who wants to be a millionaire? You look like a million bucks. Like a million miles away from me you couldn't see how I adored you. Jokes, I've got a million of them.

One million is an arbitrary milestone derived from our Base 10 number system. There's no logical reason why # 1,000,000 is any more special than # 999,123 or # 1,000,505.

Exactly! I never really got these cache pictures where people hold up a sign that says #1000 or whatever. :anitongue:

I have a cache waiting to be reviewed right now.

It's going to be the millionth active cache. I can just feel it!!

I'd better archive some then :anitongue:

It might not matter.

The reviewer who normally reviews my caches was on after I submitted it and mine wasn't published. I don't know if its not in que or if it wasn't close enough to a million yet.

It's just that "a million" is a hyped number. Sell a million records, and your record company gives you a platinum one. Theme parks give prizes to celebrate their millionth visitor. Who wants to be a millionaire? You look like a million bucks. Like a million miles away from me you couldn't see how I adored you. Jokes, I've got a million of them.

It's also called a "GET". At least, that's what 4chan calls it.

Tomorow

The count exceeds 1,000,000 right now. March 7th is the right date for the millionth cache*.

* - with all the qualifications about it not really being the millionth cache published.

Just starting to wonder, how many people doing that search at once will it take to slow down the system?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT