Dakota and Polarized Sunglasses

Tui Chub

I was out fishing in my kayak yesterday and using my Dakota 20 as my speedometer for maintaining my speed while trolling. The Dakota was very easy to read, it was even easier to read than my Vista HCX that I brought as a back up. At one time I removed my sunglasses (polarized) and noticed a lot of glare coming off the screen, put the glasses back on and glare gone.

I was out fishing in my kayak yesterday and using my Dakota 20 as my speedometer for maintaining my speed while trolling. The Dakota was very easy to read, it was even easier to read than my Vista HCX that I brought as a back up. At one time I removed my sunglasses (polarized) and noticed a lot of glare coming off the screen, put the glasses back on and glare gone.

Good to know...

Just a clarification, using polarized glasses does not instantly make the display better. It just works for certain angles where there is glare coming off the screen. The best viewing angle without glasses is still the best viewing angle with glasses.

At one time I removed my sunglasses (polarized) and noticed a lot of glare coming off the screen, put the glasses back on and glare gone.

That's exactly what polarized glasses are supposed to do. They reduce glare.

You would have seen the same thing while looking at any glare off the lake.

Try turning the Dakota sideways with your polarized glasses on and likely the screen will be completely blank because of the way polarized glasses work and the direction of the LCDs on the Dakota (and any thing else with an LCD). The polarization on the glasses allows light through in one direction but not another

When I'm at the gas pump, I have to take off polarized glasses at about half the places just to see anything on the display.

See this -> http://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglasses/polarized.htm

....Try turning the Dakota sideways with your polarized glasses on and likely the screen will be completely blank because of the way polarized glasses work and the direction of the LCDs on the Dakota (and any thing else with an LCD). The polarization on the glasses allows light through in one direction but not another

When I'm at the gas pump, I have to take off polarized glasses at about half the places just to see anything on the display....

Yup. My perfect angle on my Oregon is to tilt the Oregon 45 degrees to the right with my sunglasses on. I can normally read gas pumps ok, but the LCD on the credit card machine is what gets me to take them off.