Oregon 400t

I got my oregon 400t the other day and so far it has been fantastic! :wub:

I'm just curious what other Oregon owners are doing to maximize the battery life. For now Im keeping WAAS off, compass off, battery save on, backlight at 40%, and pressure trend to "save when power on".

Any other things Im missing?

Thanks

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I got my oregon 400t the other day and so far it has been fantastic! ;)

I'm just curious what other Oregon owners are doing to maximize the battery life. For now Im keeping WAAS off, compass off, battery save on, backlight at 40%, and pressure trend to "save when power on".

Any other things Im missing?

Thanks

I've had a Colorado for a couple of years and the battery drain is about the same as the Oregon. My solution was to just use it normally with WAAS enabled and the compass as well, but with the backlight off during the daytime and take plenty of batteries. I use 2650 mAh Duracells and 2000 mAh Eneloops. I generally carry 4 or 6 extra fully charged batteries if I'll be out on the trail all day. I've never used all 6 even with the backlight on occasionally. I have a 550t being delivered today so I'll check and see how it compares. It's more than likely a real battery hog when you use the camera along with everything else. But, like I said I have plenty of batteries and a big backpack. :wub:

Check here for additional info: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Ron...

I just got my Oregon 400t a couple weeks ago and have gone through several sets of batteries. I am also having a problem I wonder if you are having. When I press "Go" to a cache location and the path to the cache is drawn, if I rotate the GPS, the path to the cache moves with the GPS and does not redraw to the correct path to the location. I would like to know if this is a known issue or if it is something specific to my GPS.

I just got my Oregon 400t a couple weeks ago and have gone through several sets of batteries. I am also having a problem I wonder if you are having. When I press "Go" to a cache location and the path to the cache is drawn, if I rotate the GPS, the path to the cache moves with the GPS and does not redraw to the correct path to the location. I would like to know if this is a known issue or if it is something specific to my GPS.

I tried what you said.. I do not have the same problem. What version firmware do you have?

One bug I did notice though (newest firmware right now 3.10) is when you goto a geocache, then try bringing up the info on the cache, from either geocache menu or clicking on it from the map, it shows a blank page where the cache info should go. It does not have this problem if I am not on a "goto" to a cache.

I tried what you said.. I do not have the same problem. What version firmware do you have?

One bug I did notice though (newest firmware right now 3.10) is when you goto a geocache, then try bringing up the info on the cache, from either geocache menu or clicking on it from the map, it shows a blank page where the cache info should go. It does not have this problem if I am not on a "goto" to a cache.

I am using the 3.10 firmware. If I wait a few minutes, the path will correct itself, but you have to wait for it to do so. I have not noticed the bug you are describing.

I also use a car Adapter when driving, saves alot on battery power on long trips. Apart from that i not really concerend about the battery life i find it pretty good, i have most things turned on and i get 10+ hours of use and always carry spare batterys with me at all time just incause but never had to use them.

Don't bother turning WAAS off - the power savings is nearly null. Also putting the unit in battery saver mode just updates the position a lot less frequently which can lead you to overshoot a geocache location pretty easily. My Oregon with a set if NiMH is giving me 11 - 13 hours depending on my backlight useage.

Don't bother turning WAAS off - the power savings is nearly null. Also putting the unit in battery saver mode just updates the position a lot less frequently which can lead you to overshoot a geocache location pretty easily. My Oregon with a set if NiMH is giving me 11 - 13 hours depending on my backlight useage.

^ Thanks. I thought "battery save" on the Oregon just turned off the display when the backlight reached timeout though.

:rolleyes:

^ Thanks. I thought "battery save" on the Oregon just turned off the display when the backlight reached timeout though.

:laughing:

That's what I've seen as well. Battery saver just blanks the display once you hit the timeout. I've never seen any change in the receiver or tracklog when it is enabled.