Using Tom Tom

stuvincent

It would be best to have a trail GPSr like a Garmin Etraxx type. It is much more rugged and give better displays to use. Some road GPSr have a walking mode with a compass page but not the TomTom. People have use a TomTom for geocaching. I know of a cacher who has used it for more than 100 finds and most of those are hikes. You can match up the Lat & Long readouts. It is harder to do but can be done.

Most people I know (including me) use the TomTom to get to parking then use the trail unit to find the cache.

I hope this helps

kf4oox - Paul

Can I use TomTom for Geocaching? I have downloaded the locations to the TomTom, but I cant find them in any menus. Please help.

I don't know if it works differently than yours, but we've been using our TomTom Rider (designed for motorcycles, which does take some off-roading into account) and we have been really impressed with it. So far, almost every time it has led us to the cache DEAD ON. The only inconvenient part is that it doesn't acknowledge your movement if you're walking too slowly, so in order to get it to update your current location you have to jog a few feet and then back to where you were. We just look at it as a little more much-needed exercise. lol

Can I use TomTom for Geocaching? I have downloaded the locations to the TomTom, but I cant find them in any menus. Please help.

I don't know if it works differently than yours, but we've been using our TomTom Rider (designed for motorcycles, which does take some off-roading into account) and we have been really impressed with it. So far, almost every time it has led us to the cache DEAD ON. The only inconvenient part is that it doesn't acknowledge your movement if you're walking too slowly, so in order to get it to update your current location you have to jog a few feet and then back to where you were. We just look at it as a little more much-needed exercise. lol

If I'm going cacheing in a area I'm not real familiar with I us both Tom Tom and GPs. I only use the Tom Tom to park and GPS from there on. I have tried the Tom Tom in walking mode, but not very successfull. I have the Tom Tom one. Not sure what you have.

I plan to buy a hand held unit soon, but I just started geocaching and have been using my Tom Tom. In the woods the signal gets weak and you have to be a little patient for the location to update, but it has led me to the dozen or so caches I have found so far. I have the Tom Tom One XL-S. You just go to the "Configure GPS" screen and it gives accurate coordinates. I can't send the coordinates to it (or at least I don't know how), but I just send them to my phone as a text message to read later when out hunting. Another drawback is it only has a 2 hour battery life, but that's been enough so far

I use a Tom Tom One all the time. I rightfully do not know how to use the others. Tom tom was what I had when I wanted to start. I can find any cache I want with it. It does take some patients. Any corodinate that is quite far from the road you have to put is a coordinate that works and then go to the digital screen and work from there. But if you have to, you can use it. My friends that have garmin and magellan can't understand how I use it, but I can do it just as well as theirs. I guess it all in what you get use to.