Future Cache Machines

Berta Nick Zoey

Ok,

I want to put together more Cache Machines. I got alot of good feedback from the two we had last year. I built a great route for a Bellingham Cache Machine but that one didnt fly. (If you need to know why, PM me)

I've played with the idea of other Cache Machines in places like:

Federal Way

Burien/West Seattle

Kirkland.

I'd like to hear from people if there is an interest in other Cache Machines other than the Travis Machines which I can tell are looked forward to with alot of anticipation.

If theres poeple who have ideas as to where they'd like to see a CM let me know.

Thanks

When I first saw it posted I checked for rooms. Seemed like the availability was not that good and only the pricier ones were left. That is certainly a factor. Maybe there were lots of rooms available at a decent price but the AAA site did not show that. Perhaps a suggestion on what motels to look for would have helped. I liked the idea of Bellingham, but then I really haven't cached there so they would be all new ones for me. I also have practically zero on the Seattle side of the sound, so those would appeal.

Jim

Ill put together another Cache Machine if there is any interest shown. Otherwise we'll go with 4 a year.

We are interested but participation depends on scheduling. We had a lot of fun at Kent, really wanted to do Sumner but had a conflict and we were planning on attending Bellingham.

I am glad you are interested in putting on cache machines. I love going to them (done around 15 of them), but suck at planning them. One idea is the "mini cache machine". The first CM I went to was the Anderson Island one in 2005. There were only about 25 caches, but it was a very fun trip to an island. Team Noltex and Sir2U hosted a dinner at one of their houses. Places that immediately jump to mind are Vashon Island and the San Juans (pick an island - yeah I think TravisL has a San Juan CM on his future list). The hard part would be finding a venue to hold everyone for the event dinner. If it is summer, it could be a potluck at a beach park. A Mountain Loop CM would also be fun.

I am glad you are interested in putting on cache machines. I love going to them (done around 15 of them), but suck at planning them. One idea is the "mini cache machine". The first CM I went to was the Anderson Island one in 2005. There were only about 25 caches, but it was a very fun trip to an island. Team Noltex and Sir2U hosted a dinner at one of their houses. Places that immediately jump to mind are Vashon Island and the San Juans (pick an island - yeah I think TravisL has a San Juan CM on his future list). The hard part would be finding a venue to hold everyone for the event dinner. If it is summer, it could be a potluck at a beach park. A Mountain Loop CM would also be fun.

We've talked several times about doing Anderson Island CM II, but haven't made any work of it. Perhaps next summer.

One idea that I keep thinking about is doing one in Federal Way/Des Moines. I wanted it to end at Salt Water State Park with a BBQ. For 5 dollars a person, Im sure there could be enough hotdogs/hamburgers for everyone. The only hard part would be making sure that someone (me) didnt get stuck with tons and tons of uneaten food. Of course this sort of CM would have to be done in July or August.

I'd love to see a "Wenatchee River" cache machine for a fall time frame. It's nice up there then & it would be so much fun!

Oh yeah, that would be neat.

One comment about a summer San Juan Island CM. Unless the thing was posted about April or May for a July/August time frame there might be a bit of a problem. There is about zero accommodations unless you books months in advance. Then there is the cost of the ferries.

Jim

May I ask a stupid question? What is a cache machine?

That is where an organizer puts together a list of caches in a small locality. The list is ordered in the search order and the route is organized to maximize the caches along the route. We all show up about O'dark thirty and start off on the hunt. Then in the evening there is a dinner somewhere, which is the actual event, and we relive our day. You get a lot of smileys in one day, get to meet all those people that were just names in the log and in general have a really good time.

Jim

P.S. For an idea of the details, go to travisl's profile. He has links to previous cache machines and you can follow the links to the discussion threads where he has the detailed routing. I have not checked all the links, so some might be dead, but the last couple are good.

Edited by jholly

One comment about a summer San Juan Island CM. Unless the thing was posted about April or May for a July/August time frame there might be a bit of a problem. There is about zero accommodations unless you books months in advance. Then there is the cost of the ferries.

Jim

The islands aren't too cache-heavy that you couldn't do two in a day, then come back to Anacortes on the late boat for hotels/camping. Shaw, for instance, only has three caches, and could easily be done between one ferry arrival and the next.

Edited by Ockette

Jim

The islands aren't too cache-heavy that you couldn't do two in a day, then come back to Anacortes on the late boat for hotels/camping. Shaw, for instance, only has three caches, and could easily be done between one ferry arrival and the next.

San Juan Island has about 45, Lopez about the same and Orcas around 35. All three would need some form of transportation other than shoe leather. To finish the Delorme I did take a ferry out of Anacortes in the morning to Friday harbor, got two there in town, rode over to Orcas and got two there and then came back in the afternoon. Not a lot, but enough for a pleasant cache machine and dinner. Some might want to stay over night after catching a very early ferry to one of the islands.

Jim

May I ask a stupid question? What is a cache machine?

That is where an organizer puts together a list of caches in a small locality. The list is ordered in the search order and the route is organized to maximize the caches along the route. We all show up about O'dark thirty and start off on the hunt. Then in the evening there is a dinner somewhere, which is the actual event, and we relive our day. You get a lot of smileys in one day, get to meet all those people that were just names in the log and in general have a really good time.

Jim

P.S. For an idea of the details, go to travisl's profile. He has links to previous cache machines and you can follow the links to the discussion threads where he has the detailed routing. I have not checked all the links, so some might be dead, but the last couple are good.

What jholly said. It's a day of power caching and socializing in a cache-rich area along a pre-planned route, usually with a dinner at the end.

The PNW Cache Machines bookmark should give you a feel for them; it lists all previous ones plus has a link to Travis' notes for planning one.

Edited by hydnsek

I've heard a lot about cache machines, but it seems I always hear of them after the fact. I'd love to go to one some day.

i live in Federal Way and would be happy to help with a route or whatever in that area.

Each area I've found, tends to have a certain style of caches. For Federal Way it's evil micros.

I'd love to get in a group of people looking for these because some are tough and would be better with a group of people looking.

Let me know what you plan on doing. I'd love to join.

I've heard a lot about cache machines, but it seems I always hear of them after the fact. I'd love to go to one some day.

i live in Federal Way and would be happy to help with a route or whatever in that area.

Each area I've found, tends to have a certain style of caches. For Federal Way it's evil micros.

I'd love to get in a group of people looking for these because some are tough and would be better with a group of people looking.

Let me know what you plan on doing. I'd love to join.

If you want to go to the Tri-Cities area TravisL has one scheduled for the 19th of September. See the thread in this forum.

Jim

We've talked several times about doing Anderson Island CM II, but haven't made any work of it. Perhaps next summer.

Would love to get into this one. Was looking at the maps and was wondering if a person could do it in a single day. I mean, a CM would make it easier, especially if I were to team up with some people, but alone, kind of tempting to try. I need to start on the puzzle caches they have there in the meantime, also need to try and track down a canoe or kayak for the island cache right to the north.

Regardless, I can't wait to do a cache machine for the first time!

I'd like to hear from people if there is an interest in other Cache Machines other than the Travis Machines which I can tell are looked forward to with alot of anticipation.

If theres poeple who have ideas as to where they'd like to see a CM let me know.

Thanks

I'm ALWAYS interested in cache machines. :blink: It just always depends on my schedule. I was able to go to one of your CM's last year and loved it.

For an idea of the details, go to travisl's profile. He has links to previous cache machines and you can follow the links to the discussion threads where he has the detailed routing. I have not checked all the links, so some might be dead, but the last couple are good.

The links should all still be good, except I deleted some of the oldest route documents themselves, which would be seriously outdated anyway.

I would recommend Vashon Island for a mini cache machine. I went over several years ago to work the caches on the island. A little pricey to get to the island, but I can remember several caches that make the trip worthwhile.

Also could get off the island at Tacoma and continue the machine (2-part with time limits?)

Lacey/Olympia would sure work for me...I would like it scheduled for next year as it gives me, and probably many others, time to schedule to get the weekend off....not all of us have Saturday off, and I work a job that I have to put in for the time I want off in January for the whole year !! (I am a letter carrier for the USPS)

Lacey/Olympia would sure work for me...I would like it scheduled for next year as it gives me, and probably many others, time to schedule to get the weekend off....not all of us have Saturday off, and I work a job that I have to put in for the time I want off in January for the whole year !! (I am a letter carrier for the USPS)

I want your job, just sayin'.....

but yeah, that area sounds good as I haven't done any caching out there and seems like it has some really fun ones

For anybody keeping track of such things, I've updated the list of my future cache machine locations. I've moved Portland (from June 2010 to June 2011), backed Astoria into the June 2010 slot, and placed Moses Lake into Astoria's old September 2010 slot. Portland got moved out to June 2011, and I've pushed Bremerton out until January 2012.

The (very tentative) schedule follows. If you're looking at this any time after October 2009, look at my profile instead.

* Centralia/Chehalis, January 2, 2010

* Walla Walla, March 20, 2010

* Astoria, June 26, 2010

* Moses Lake, September 25, 2010

* Belfair, January 2011

* Omak/Methow, March 2011

* Portland II, June 2011

* Wenatchee II, September 2011

* Bremerton III, January 2012

For anybody keeping track of such things, I've updated the list of my future cache machine locations. I've moved Portland (from June 2010 to June 2011), backed Astoria into the June 2010 slot, and placed Moses Lake into Astoria's old September 2010 slot. Portland got moved out to June 2011, and I've pushed Bremerton out until January 2012.

The (very tentative) schedule follows. If you're looking at this any time after October 2009, look at my profile instead.

* Centralia/Chehalis, January 2, 2010

* Walla Walla, March 20, 2010

* Astoria, June 26, 2010

* Moses Lake, September 25, 2010

* Belfair, January 2011

* Omak/Methow, March 2011

* Portland II, June 2011

* Wenatchee II, September 2011

* Bremerton III, January 2012

Thats a good list!

Some areas that might also support a CM:

Colville/Kettle Falls

San Juans

Both locations could be tricky for accomodations.

Some areas that might also support a CM: Colville/Kettle Falls

There's enough in the Kettle Falls area? Sweet. I'd love to hit the northwest corner of the state. I've never been to Grand Coulee, nor anywhere else on the Columbia north of I-90. I might substitute that in for Omak/Methow if that's the case.

Some areas that might also support a CM: Colville/Kettle Falls

There's enough in the Kettle Falls area? Sweet. I'd love to hit the northwest corner of the state. I've never been to Grand Coulee, nor anywhere else on the Columbia north of I-90. I might substitute that in for Omak/Methow if that's the case.

Yea, and we need those DeLorme pages!

I LOVE the new line-up. Especially seeing the "never been done" ones BEFORE the ones that have been done in the past. I'd love to do that one in Astoria.

I'm not too crazy about the Methow/Omak one in March (still lotsa snow & Cascade Highway will be closed - makes for a long drive-around) That would be an awesome May/June destination. Northwest corner of the state would be fun. So would a Coeur d'Alene area & north if there were caches enough to support it.

I LOVE the new line-up. Especially seeing the "never been done" ones BEFORE the ones that have been done in the past. I'd love to do that one in Astoria.

I'm not too crazy about the Methow/Omak one in March (still lotsa snow & Cascade Highway will be closed - makes for a long drive-around) That would be an awesome May/June destination. Northwest corner of the state would be fun. So would a Coeur d'Alene area & north if there were caches enough to support it.

I also agree on the new lineup - love it, love the new areas we're going to. Except...agree with Lizzy on the Methow in March - they sometimes are still XC skiing there then! And, of course, Hwy 20 will still be closed across the North Cascades. But June would be a swell time - no snow but before fire season.

And yes, the northEAST part of the state would be another swell spot for a CM. I've been there, but always worth another visit, esp. since there's never been a CM in that area.

Edited by hydnsek

We did a marvelous day of caching Anderson Island this summer.

We did the hike down to the beach that has the caches along the way, and then two on the beach (one is a letterbox hybrid) and we met some people down there.

They were rich people who had their own yaught they had driven in on, and they had two jet skiis with them.

Well to make a long story short, I ended up having the first aid supplies they needed, and they were so happy and relieved to get the help, they insisted we ride their jet ski's. My geo-bud had never been on one, so we climbed on in our jeans and hiking shoes and headed out.

A lot of fun.

One more great day from geocaching.

(PS, we've never done a cache machine, so put me on your list if you've got one, I'd love to try it!!!)

I've always wanted to try going on a cache machine, still haven't gotten to do one yet. Does anyone put them on in Oregon? I might be willing to drive up to Washington to go on one though, might be fun :ph34r:

The one the end of June is in Astoria.

I personally think a good area for a CM would be Longview/Kelso.
I've got Longview tentatively scheduled for June 2012, although if someone beats me to it, more power to 'em. My full (daydreamed up) schedule is on my profile page. The further out one of the events is, the more likely it is to change.

Does anyone put them on in Oregon?
As jholly pointed out, the next one (June 26) is in Astoria. Also in the future, Portland's in June 2011. The Dalles/Hood River is in March 2013. Bend is in September 2013. Salem's in June 2014. We've also got Long Beach coming up in January 2012, which is close to Oregon. :ph34r: That promises to be a wet and miserable trip.
I personally think a good area for a CM would be Longview/Kelso.
I've got Longview tentatively scheduled for June 2012, although if someone beats me to it, more power to 'em. My full (daydreamed up) schedule is on my profile page. The further out one of the events is, the more likely it is to change.

Does anyone put them on in Oregon?
As jholly pointed out, the next one (June 26) is in Astoria. Also in the future, Portland's in June 2011. The Dalles/Hood River is in March 2013. Bend is in September 2013. Salem's in June 2014. We've also got Long Beach coming up in January 2012, which is close to Oregon. :) That promises to be a wet and miserable trip.

Holy cow dude, you've certainly got things planned out!

I've always wanted to try going on a cache machine, still haven't gotten to do one yet. Does anyone put them on in Oregon? I might be willing to drive up to Washington to go on one though, might be fun :)

The one the end of June is in Astoria.

Really! I'd love to go, my mom is coming into town the end of June for a week, but I'll keep an eye out to see if it fits with my schedule.

I TRIED to tell him about the snow concerns at that time of year :grin:

Northwest corner of the state would be fun. So would a Coeur d'Alene area & north if there were caches enough to support it.

I don't know about you Lizzy, but the Northwest corner is not a real prime area for me since I cache there already. :huh: Now the North EAST corner is a horse of a different color. :grin:

But yeah, I mentioned the Omak/Methow area would be better in June. Don't plan on the cascade highway much before May. Travis really needs to work on that Delorme challenge and then he might get it.

I TRIED to tell him about the snow concerns at that time of year :grin:

And I heard -- the list further up this thread is old. Omak/Methow is currently scheduled for September 2011, swapped for Wenatchee II. Has been since last year.