fishing cache questions

cacheious

I want to do my first hide, and would like to do a fishing themed cache. I live very near a lake and it would be a sweet little cache i think.

Anyway, these are my concerns:

I want to fill it with fishing gear, but i am concerned about putting hooks in as swag. they are in the original container, and unless really handled wrong, are harmless enough but still sharp and possibly dangerous.

I also want to add some plastics that are all flavored. I know they won't go bad as i am close enough to take good care of the cache. I am more worried about the smell attracting animals. any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Both are valid concerns.

I would definately not put anything with a smell that might attract animals as they will destroy your cache getting to them.

Safety of the finder is the concern of the fishhooks as far as children are concerned but if they are in their packaging, it is marginally OK.

I'd go with more inert fishing gear - leaders, sinkers, floats, marine GPS'r's, etc.

I was reading somewhere on the forums about a similar question and personaly i think it would be a great idea, Lots of people fish and a fishing theme is just the trick. I'd just make sure the swags if they do happen to be lures, hooks or anything sharp is well protected, that aside if knowing what was int he cache like what you have mentioned would not last long, everyone would be out to get the FTF :wub:

Depends what kind of fish...

A fresh Mackerel... Could spoil and smell a little fishy, unless the cache is filled with water and changed frequently. How would you trade up? A good smoked salmon... I'll be there, if the cache was on ice... Will the cache be full of water to keep the fish alive?

Hold your pants up, I'm only kidding.

When I used to Dive, I collected fishing lures I found, kept them in my glove box. Working in Florida (Miami) Someone broke into my truck and reached into the glove box. There was a trail of lures down the road. That must have hurt.

I had spent about $50 bucks in tackle and a tackle box and such for just such a cache. I did the whole cache page up and then the battle began. There was a considerable amount of arguing and negotiating with the reviewer to allow me to have the cache. #1- absolutely no knives. I bought a fillet knife and had it in the cache and had to drive 40 miles one way to remove it, #2 was this cache is suppose to be kid friendly so because of the hooks being a potential problem I had to lock the tackle box. Didn't seem to work. A local power cacher pryed the box open to get to the log. #3 I had to list links to all of my other kid friendly caches in the area and make sure that everyone knew that THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY CACHE!!! Lots of bold letters and warnings and such. The reviewer really bent over backwards for me to get this one published. I have to admit at first I wasn't happy with him at all over the cost and extra trip and what not but he's not suppose to allow any of the hooks and knives in the cache at all. I feel bad now because I gave him a lot of grief before he finally published it. I even went as far as giving coords to a rowboat that is left for the general public. Providing that you can find where the last person left it. My suggestion is to go ahead and make your fishermens cache and have the coords to it posted on the lid of your "fishermen's cache" that's actually published online. That way someone who is just fishing for smiley's can grab that first cache, sign the log and go. Anyone wanting to spend more time there can take a few extra minutes to look for your unlisted cache by using the coords on the lid of the first and then the reviewer doesn't have to know about all the sharp pointys. Swizzle

I had spent about $50 bucks in tackle and a tackle box and such for just such a cache. I did the whole cache page up and then the battle began. There was a considerable amount of arguing and negotiating with the reviewer to allow me to have the cache. #1- absolutely no knives. I bought a fillet knife and had it in the cache and had to drive 40 miles one way to remove it, #2 was this cache is suppose to be kid friendly so because of the hooks being a potential problem I had to lock the tackle box. Didn't seem to work. A local power cacher pryed the box open to get to the log. #3 I had to list links to all of my other kid friendly caches in the area and make sure that everyone knew that THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY CACHE!!! Lots of bold letters and warnings and such. The reviewer really bent over backwards for me to get this one published. I have to admit at first I wasn't happy with him at all over the cost and extra trip and what not but he's not suppose to allow any of the hooks and knives in the cache at all. I feel bad now because I gave him a lot of grief before he finally published it. I even went as far as giving coords to a rowboat that is left for the general public. Providing that you can find where the last person left it. My suggestion is to go ahead and make your fishermens cache and have the coords to it posted on the lid of your "fishermen's cache" that's actually published online. That way someone who is just fishing for smiley's can grab that first cache, sign the log and go. Anyone wanting to spend more time there can take a few extra minutes to look for your unlisted cache by using the coords on the lid of the first and then the reviewer doesn't have to know about all the sharp pointys. Swizzle

"No knives" is in the guidelines that I'm sure you've read. But there is no guideline that says that a cache must be "kid friendly" or that it has to be locked if it isn't. Did that "rule" come from your reviewer, or was it a result of complaints from other cachers in your area... sorry, it wasn't clear to me which.

Those plastic hook guards could and probably should be used both to help prevent injuries and to minimize tangles if the lures are not in the box.

I hope that you had a good heart-to-heart with the cacher that pried your locked container open just to sign the log!!

The recent thread that was mentioned was about trout flies in a cache, but being almost exclusively single-hooks instead of trebles, it really is a bit of a different issue, I think.

I had spent about $50 bucks in tackle and a tackle box and such for just such a cache. I did the whole cache page up and then the battle began. There was a considerable amount of arguing and negotiating with the reviewer to allow me to have the cache. #1- absolutely no knives. I bought a fillet knife and had it in the cache and had to drive 40 miles one way to remove it, #2 was this cache is suppose to be kid friendly so because of the hooks being a potential problem I had to lock the tackle box. Didn't seem to work. A local power cacher pryed the box open to get to the log. #3 I had to list links to all of my other kid friendly caches in the area and make sure that everyone knew that THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY CACHE!!! Lots of bold letters and warnings and such. The reviewer really bent over backwards for me to get this one published. I have to admit at first I wasn't happy with him at all over the cost and extra trip and what not but he's not suppose to allow any of the hooks and knives in the cache at all. I feel bad now because I gave him a lot of grief before he finally published it.

The filet knife, fine, it's banned in the guidelines. The rest of it is a case of Reviewer-gone-astray, going beyond the guidelines to impress his/her personal views on geocaching. It happens. It shouldn't. In fact Groundspeak tries to select Reviewers who will not bring their personal agenda to the listing process... if it's within the guidelines they don't have to like it but they do have to list it. Many a guideline-legal cache has been listed by a Reviewer who was holding his nose because they thought the listing stank or they didn't like something about it! An appeal to Groundspeak was in order here, and I believe based on the facts as you have presented them that taking the knife out would have gotten it listed.

I have both hidden and found fishing-themed caches, in fact I have two of them out right now, one on my lake property and another at a marina with a public fishing pier. Go for it! Enabling a Mom or Dad to take a kid fishing is one of the more glorious results that this game might achieve.

Maybe he had a hook phobia or something. He did want me to buy plastic guards for all of the treble hooks or remove them completely. He did express his concern about muggle kids who may possible stumble on the cache and unknowningly dive in hands first to grab the shineys. If he could see the location of the hide then he shouldn't have had any concerns about it at all. I do plan on putting another fishing cache there in the very near future. It will have a very small fishing kit inside the container but it will be in a seperate container all together. I also had a TB that was a fishing lure. That one had a plastic hook guard on it. The last I knew it was just the tag. I'm gonna try to get it back and maybe change his journey. As far as the power cacher goes. I'll be doing a hike with him and some other local cachers soon. He's a decent guy and I'm sure we'll be having some more cachin adventures and events in the future. Swizzle