Non Posting of DNFs

We are a pair of rookies at geocaching that have just reached our first 100 (no applause needed, just send champagne), but on our learning curve we have been noticing with regularity that when we arrive at numerous GZ areas, they are looking like they have just been turned over by a herd of stampeding elephants, yet ZERO visits to the cache have been logged within the previous 10/12 weeks.

Is it possible, that some folks simply refuse to register their DNFs, and if so, why?

Surely, it is in the interests of all geocachers and cache owners to recognise the degree of difficulty of every cache by its 'Found' success or failure rate.

We always post our DNFs, but we do find it extremely unhelpful when other cachers refuse to do same.

Failure to post DNFs allows the cache to assume a false degree of difficulty. Can that be helpful? I think not.

C,mon folks, an admission of failure is not exactly a blot in the exercise book.

Are there others that feel like us?

You are absolutely correct. If you do not have a few DNFs then you either are aiming for only easy ones or you are not chasing down micros.

Recorded DNFs are so important for the owner because it gives them the ability to gauge whether the aim of the cache is being met and perhaps more importantly whether maintenance may be required.

We are a pair of rookies at geocaching that have just reached our first 100 (no applause needed, just send champagne)

:laughing: Congratulations :D

Is it possible, that some folks simply refuse to register their DNFs, and if so, why?

Pride?! Only kidding themselves :cool:

We always post our DNFs, but we do find it extremely unhelpful when other cachers refuse to do same.

Failure to post DNFs allows the cache to assume a false degree of difficulty. Can that be helpful? I think not.

C,mon folks, an admission of failure is not exactly a blot in the exercise book.

Are there others that feel like us?

I log most of my DNFs. If I've not had a decent look around and intend to return I don't log it, likewise if I decide I wasn't looking in the right place - no point putting others off visiting if I didn't look hard enough.

As a cache owner I find DNFs helpful - I can go and check up to see if they are indeed missing. As a cache finder I find DNfs helpful as I can avoid hunting for caches have had a number of recent DNFs and so are probably missing.

It's not just DNFs people don't log - when I checked on one of my caches recently (following a DNF) I found it had been subsequently found but no online log had been made. Each to their own I suppose :)

Thanks to all who responded to our thread.

It would appear that posting or non-posting of DNFs is entirely personal and is obviously not governed by any rules.

However, having read through the responses, we still feel that following a reasonable but unfruitful search, a failure to find should be definitely be logged.

This is a topic which crops up from time to time. Personally, I'm not ashamed to log DNFs but sometimes I view the cache as "unfinished business" or "work in progress" and prefer not to log anything until it's sorted. A good example is "Yobbies?" which I FINALLY found last week, on about the 8th attempt. There is the rare cacher who worked it out immediately, but it took me months to work it out and the puzzling was part of the "work in progress".

If I'm unlikely to be able to return soon to have another look or I feel that it would be of benefit to the cache owner (more often than not, yes), I'll post a DNF. If I feel that it's pilot error or I have to abandon due to muggles, I may not.

:D