Getting the GC Number on the Logbook

Steve&GeoCarolyn

I know that I must be making this over-complicated, but I'm not getting past it. Here is my understanding of the sequence of cache placement/listing:

1. Build cache and find location.

2. Place cache in the location and get the coordinates.

3. List cache on Geocaching.com and get GC number.

But there is a step that I can't fit into this simple sequence. How do I get the GC number on the logbook before I list the cache?

I already tried listing the cache on geocaching.com with a future placement date and it wouldn't let me. Do I place the cache as inactive, get the GC number, rush back to the site to write the number on the log book, and then activate the cache within the same day?

Or do I change the placement date later to reflect the actual date the logbook was put (with GC number) in the cache?

It is really seeming to me that I need a time machine to get the GC number on the logbook while keeping the placement date accurate.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

I use a slightly different procedure.

1. Figure out what I want to do, series or single cache.

2. Using maps, GE and mapsource (other caches in the area with 0.1 mi circles. can be done with GE) find likely places.

3. Get a cache page, do some preliminary editing. I have my GC #. Make sure you uncheck the cache is active box.

4. Go scout out the exact area, get some co-ordinates.

4a. Contact my reviewer and make sure I'm good to go. I generally am because I most likely have done the multis and mysteries in the area.

5. Put together the cache(s), GC numbers on the logs.

6. Go place the caches, take some more co-ordinate readings.

7. Finish editing the pages, average up the final co-ordinates

8. Check the cache is active and submit.

Edited by jholly

I use a slightly different procedure.

1. Figure out what I want to do, series or single cache.

2. Using maps, GE and mapsource (other caches in the area with 0.1 mi circles. can be done with GE) find likely places.

3. Get a cache page, do some preliminary editing. I have my GC #. Make sure you uncheck the cache is active box.

4. Go scout out the exact area, get some co-ordinates.

4a. Contact my reviewer and make sure I'm good to go. I generally am because I most likely have done the multis and mysteries in the area.

5. Put together the cache(s), GC numbers on the logs.

6. Go place the caches, take some more co-ordinate readings.

7. Finish editing the pages, average up the final co-ordinates

8. Check the cache is active and submit.

Doesn't that mean that your Date Placed date will be wrong? Is that something that can be edited? Or am I obsessing over something that really doesn't matter?

Carolyn

Fill out the Cache Page making sure that Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing unless box is checked) is UNCHECKED. At this point you might consider using rough coordinate entry and ask the reviewer if there are any puzzle or mulit waypoint proximity issues. Get the GC number, write it in the logbook, hide the cache. Fill out the Cache page with accurate info (including placed date of choice). CHECK above mentioned box and submit.