Newbie Just Started

bratbasset

Geocaching is something I've wanted to try for awhile now. A friend sold me his Etrex Vista for a good price so yesterday I started hunting. Since my husband doesn't care about geocaching I thought at least someone here would be happy on my first two finds yesterday. Today I will be out looking for more. Wish me luck guys. I think this is going to be a great hobby.

Okay, I must be an idiot or something, because I just went out looking for three sites. OMG but why can't I find them. I'm not liking to admit that these are not marked as difficult.... I have my GPS and when I get to the site, I set it to Pedestrian.... but still NO luck. I was in hopes this would be something my husband and I could do together (quality time, yeah, right....) but since we have bombed out on this, he's not willing to even try going out again. So, someone out there clue me in, please......

Thanks,

Sandra

If someone out there is in the West Monroe/Monroe LA area, and wants to hunt together, please let me know.... because apparently, I have no one to go with now...

thanks,

Sandra

It's totally normal to not find caches right away. Try low terrain and difficulty (one to two stars) regular sized caches to start out and you'll quickly get a sense of what to look for. You'll often find that the caches that are out in the woods are easier to find because it often takes less to hide them plus you'll feel less exposed and silly than if you're poking around in a parking lot :cool: Don't give up and if you can't drag your husband out to do it then give it a go on your own, find a few and bring him back to those so that your intuition about where caches are likely to be hidden will develop! Good luck :laughing:

To the OP, welcome and congrats and best of luck :D

Okay, I must be an idiot or something, because I just went out looking for three sites. OMG but why can't I find them. I'm not liking to admit that these are not marked as difficult.... I have my GPS and when I get to the site, I set it to Pedestrian.... but still NO luck. I was in hopes this would be something my husband and I could do together (quality time, yeah, right....) but since we have bombed out on this, he's not willing to even try going out again. So, someone out there clue me in, please......

Thanks,

Sandra

When you say that you set your GPSr to Pedestrian, does that mean that you are using a Nuvi or similar car-oriented GPSr? And if that is the case, are you trying for urban or non-urban caches?

We've found that our Nuvi in pedestrian mode is terrible in the woods. In urban environments it's ok, but it does not bring us as close to the cache as our Oregon does (or any GPSr made for trail use). My sense is that the Nuvi tries to force the location to the closest point to the road. Also, we've found that our search radius needs to be about 40-70 feet with the Nuvi rather than the 20-40 we use with the Oregon.

So if you are using a car-oriented GPS, it may mean that you have to widen your search area, trust it a bit less, read the clues, description, and title and rely more on those things along with your own powers of observation.

Carolyn