pda

TBF1

I am new to this and just got my 60csx and I want to get a pda for paperless caching , I dont want to spend a lot any suggestions. Thanks for any info.

TBF1 :cool:

Check prices on ebay for a Palm m500. Look long enough and you should be able to win one for $30 (including shipping). If you are in a hurry, be prepared to have to pay more. These units get good battery life, work great in sunlight and hold lots of caches (even without a memory card in the slot). They also employ a USB connection.

I have used an m500 on Windows 2000 and XP. XP is my preference. I think some users are able to make this work on Vista, but I am avoiding finding out personally as long as possible.

I have used an m500 on Windows 2000 and XP. XP is my preference. I think some users are able to make this work on Vista, but I am avoiding finding out personally as long as possible.

The palm desktop works fine on 32-bit vista. It does not work on 64-bit vista because there are no 64-bit drivers for the desktop. It is the desktop, not the m500, that is the limiting factor. If you have 64-bit vista you can still use it, but you will need a SD card. Post if you need more details on this method. Also if you get the m500 get the hard aluminum case, money well spent. You can get them at pdaparts.com.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Any Palm with 8+ megs of storage should do the job nicely. Older ones like the M500 are oftenly good buys used. I actually prefer my old M500 over my newer Z22 because the color screen on the Z22 is hard to see in sunlight.

When you get your Palm, load Cachemate and you are set.

Oh, and don't forget another $10 for Cachemate.

I use a Palm Vx which works on my XP system (and likely Vista) provided you have a serial port. But it's really, really slow syncing with the PC.

Would the op also have to be a premium member for this to work?

You can load .LOC files in Cachemate, but it wouldn't be very useful. The whole point is to have the description and hints and goodies that come with the .GPX file that you need to be a premium member to download.

As for cheap PDAs, just search for Palm on Ebay and sort by BIN, cheapest price (or ending soonest). Ones without color screens can easily go for <$10 shipped. The m500 series is one of the cheapest color ones.

As for cheap PDAs, just search for Palm on Ebay and sort by BIN, cheapest price (or ending soonest). Ones without color screens can easily go for <$10 shipped. The m500 series is one of the cheapest color ones.

Actually the M500 is not color, it is black and white, The M505 is color. But I prefer that to the color screens for outside usage.

Jim

Actually the M500 is not color, it is black and white, The M505 is color. But I prefer that to the color screens for outside usage.

Jim

Thanks for the info everyone.Does anyone know if I can use the m500 with vista?

TBF

Jim

I just bought a color one. Hope it is going to work alright.

Jim

Thanks for the info everyone.Does anyone know if I can use the m500 with vista?

TBF

The answer is it depends. With 32 bit vista no problem as long as you have the latest desktop. That is available on the palm site for free. For 64 bit vista there is a problem. The palm desktop does not have any 64 bit drivers for the usb. Note that this not just the M500, it is every palm, and it is not the palm unit itself, but the drivers for the desktop. With 64 bit vista you need to use the SD card for transfers, and depending on what your doing you might need some utilities. Can you give a bit more info?

Jim

I use an M125 and Cachemate along with Vista 32 bit. The only downside is when I change the AAA batteries everything is wiped out on the M125 and has to be reinstalled via the synching process. This means that if I am travelling I need to have access to a computer with the Palm Desktop software and also the USB cradle just in case the batteries die. Of course I always load fresh batteries before heading out.