I need help deciding on a paperless GPS

Tydog07

Hello everyone! I just got into the sport of geocaching about a month ago and I have found 16 geocaches to date and I've hidden 3. I have an old Garmin GPS Plus III that I use on my boat, this unit has met my expectations for being made in 1999. It's time for me to purchase a new unit and so I was thinking about an Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx. Here is my criteria for my next GPS:

1) Color Screen

2) Paperless caching (Has the paperless feature or not, I know that you can rig the Vista Hcx for paperless)

3) Good accuracy

4) Garmin or Delorme

5) Handheld

6) Not too difficult of a connection to a computer

7) $200, I want to either buy it off these forums or online somewhere, so I can save a lot of money!

I think the Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx does all these well, at least from my research. I was also thinking about a GPSMAP 60Csx, I know that's a quality unit, but I can't find one for $200. Please assist me, I won't have any money left to spend on maps so if you guys know where to get free maps, that would be really helpful! Thanks!

Hello everyone! I just got into the sport of geocaching about a month ago and I have found 16 geocaches to date and I've hidden 3. I have an old Garmin GPS Plus III that I use on my boat, this unit has met my expectations for being made in 1999. It's time for me to purchase a new unit and so I was thinking about an Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx. Here is my criteria for my next GPS:

1) Color Screen

2) Paperless caching (Has the paperless feature or not, I know that you can rig the Vista Hcx for paperless)

3) Good accuracy

4) Garmin or Delorme

5) Handheld

7) $200, I want to either buy it off these forums or online somewhere, so I can save a lot of money!

I think the Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx does all these well, at least from my research. I was also thinking about a GPSMAP 60Csx, I know that's a quality unit, but I can't find one for $200. Please assist me, I won't have any money left to spend on maps so if you guys know where to get free maps, that would be really helpful! Thanks!

I also want to add to my criteria that I don't want to pay to become a premium member "pocket queries" and I don't want to pay for any maps.

Neither of those units are "paperless" as we define paperless caching. You cannot load a complete cache description, logs and hints into them. You can load a very small subset of information that will help you find the cache. But they are not paperless.

I have a 60CSx and IMO it is the best GPS out there. I also have an Oregon 300 and it is great for paperless.

You should rethink your PM decision. It is the best money you will spend. But that is up to you.

Good luck.

Yeah, either of those units will perform the same in terms of paperless caching. You can load most of the information by exporting the data with the GSAK macro.

But trying to go "paperless" without Pocket Queries will be nearly impossible. You would have to create the data yourself by manually entering it into the GPX file.

You can get many free maps here. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

A week ago I asked myself the very same question: vista HCx or 60CSx?

I bought the vista HCx because of the better price, the smaller form factor and because it is said to perform nearly as good as the 60CSx.

Two days later, I returned the vista HCx and bought the 60CSx in exchange.

Reasons:

the vista I received displayed almost every weakness that has been talked about in the forums. Was prone to drift from the start on and had the display bug (backlight flickers, the brightness setting allows no more than 40% of the total brightness).

Not really a bug, but the little joystick you're using to do almost anything on the unit is on the top left of the device - if you're right-handed and trying to use the unit with just one hand, you'll permanently have your thumb covering the display.

The rubber band didn't came off in the two days I owned it, but it propably would have in a year or so, according to other users reports.

Finally, the 60CSx is still said to be superior in terms of precision - and it looks so much better than the vista, even though it is bigger. :cool:

To be honest, I wouldn't buy the vista again even if there was no 60CSx to buy instead. There's just too much talk about its various weak points.

I didn't regret spending a few extra bucks for the 60CSx so far. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't either.

Edited by Pulvertoastmann

Neither of those units are "paperless" as we define paperless caching. You cannot load a complete cache description, logs and hints into them. You can load a very small subset of information that will help you find the cache. But they are not paperless.

I have a 60CSx and IMO it is the best GPS out there. I also have an Oregon 300 and it is great for paperless.

You should rethink your PM decision. It is the best money you will spend. But that is up to you.

Good luck.

I just ordered a Nuvi 500 for its paperless abilities among other things. When it says "paperless" does anyone know if will I have to do the whole gsak thing or will the description etc. just go in on its own when I click on the "send to GPS"?

1) Color Screen

3) Good accuracy

4) Garmin or Delorme

5) Handheld

You wont find the 60csx for $200 unless you buy it used on ebay. I paid $288.00 at amazon for a new 60csx. Maps are free at gpsdepot.com. I also own the Oregon 400t. But their is something about the 60csx that makes it everyone favorite.

You wont find the 60csx for $200 unless you buy it used on ebay. I paid $288.00 at amazon for a new 60csx. Maps are free at gpsdepot.com. I also own the Oregon 400t. But their is something about the 60csx that makes it everyone favorite.

that "something" is called rock solid reliability. :cool:

Look at the DeLorme PN-20, it meets all your criteria right out of the box.

I saw that unit, but I was afraid to get it because of two reasons:

1) I've never heard of the brand

2) It's only $199.99 Retail, which means I could (already did) find this unit for $150 on the internet, which is under budget, so I don't want a poorer model.

How could I get it to be paperless without the paid membership, could I still press the send to GPS button on a cache listing and still work?

2) It's only $199.99 Retail, which means I could (already did) find this unit for $150 on the internet, which is under budget, so I don't want a poorer model.

How could I get it to be paperless without the paid membership, could I still press the send to GPS button on a cache listing and still work?

Take the $49 you think you can save by buying on the internet and spend $30 of it on a PM.

take a look at look at delorme's site:

www.delorme.com

I've been very impressed by user's responses on their delorme PN-40 and now the PN-30 is even priced better.

I also want to add to my criteria that I don't want to pay to become a premium member "pocket queries" and I don't want to pay for any maps.
This is confusing to me. Why budget $200+ on a new GPS with "paperless caching" as one of your primary uses, but balk at paying $30 year ($2.50 month) for full use of Groundspeak's system?

Yeah...I don't know how one could do paperless geocaching *without* a paying membership. Those pocket queries provide the data needed to go paperless. The only alternatives I see to PQs are to print out pages on paper or datamine the website (the latter being against the rules).

This is confusing to me. Why budget $200+ on a new GPS with "paperless caching" as one of your primary uses, but balk at paying $30 year ($2.50 month) for full use of Groundspeak's system?

I guess I didn't understand how this system worked at first, it looks like you need pocket queries to send multiple geocaches to your GPS, I thought I could just enter them in on a GPSMACRO program. I guess that I can't go truly paperless, that's fine. I just want to know if I should buy a Vista HCX or the 60CSX. Or if anybody had any other suggestions like the PN-20. Why should I buy the DeLorme over the Garmin's?

Why should I buy the DeLorme over the Garmin's?
To stay in your budget (or at least close to it) and get a system that comes complete street and topo maps and that paperless capability that you don't wat to pay for. Buy a PN-20 or -30; AND a $30 premium membership; AND (gasp!) another $10 for DeLorme's "Cache Widget" -- and you'll never need to print out a cache listing or buy maps.

But I don't think you'll stay under $200 unless you get a great deal on a close-out or used DeLorme. And you won't even come close to your budget trying to match capabilities in any Garmin model.

Edited by lee_rimar

Don't know anything about the quality of DeLorme GPS units, but if you're still considering the vista then keep in mind to check it for the various bugs of some units once you get it. Not every vista is affected afaik, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure yours is a good one.

Pay special attention to anything that looks like drifting (you'll find more information about the drift by searching this forum for "drift" and "vista"). Reduced brightness and loose rubber bands are something you can cope with, but drifting renders the unit virtually useless in most situations.

best, Pulvertoastmann

I'm going to wade into the fire here and suggest you look at Magellan's Triton line of GPS units. Yes I know they had horrible customer service but they have since switched owners and with the new firmware these are killer GPS's. I have a 1500 and 2000 - the 2000 includes what the 1500 has as well as a 3-axis electronic compass, led flashlight, voice recorder, 2 mp camera, SD card slot and is great for paperless caching. You get the cache description, hint, terrain and difficulty rating. Two drawbacks - no street routing and you can't mark a cache as found. You can save $100 by going for the 1500 or even the 500. The great thing about Tritons is that they can make use of Raster maps which you can get for free on the net, or by making your own. Check out www.tritonforum.com.

Why should I buy the DeLorme over the Garmin's?
To stay in your budget (or at least close to it) and get a system that comes complete street and topo maps and that paperless capability that you don't wat to pay for. Buy a PN-20 or -30; AND a $30 premium membership; AND (gasp!) another $10 for DeLorme's "Cache Widget" -- and you'll never need to print out a cache listing or buy maps.

But I don't think you'll stay under $200 unless you get a great deal on a close-out or used DeLorme. And you won't even come close to your budget trying to match capabilities in any Garmin model.

I thought I saw the PN-20 for around $125 recently? If this is the case you'll be able to stay below the $200 mark AND have the first tank of gas to check the GPS out with! :)

Not really a bug, but the little joystick you're using to do almost anything on the unit is on the top left of the device - if you're right-handed and trying to use the unit with just one hand, you'll permanently have your thumb covering the display.

It's not a bug, its a feature. The eTrex units are designed to be used in the left hand. The point is to use the GPS in the your non dominant hand and leave the right hand free for taking notes, holding your walking stick, swatting flies or scratching your nose.

In practice it seems most righties use the unit in their right hand - I know I do - but that's not what Garmin had in mind.

It's not a bug, its a feature. The eTrex units are designed to be used in the left hand. The point is to use the GPS in the your non dominant hand and leave the right hand free for taking notes, holding your walking stick, swatting flies or scratching your nose.

In practice it seems most righties use the unit in their right hand - I know I do - but that's not what Garmin had in mind.

Very interesting note Briansnat - I had never made this observation because. . . well I'm left handed person that has adapted somewhat to a right handed world. In other words activities that required dexterity fall to my left hand but many others fall to my right as a matter of conformity. Hiking for example has my GPSr in my left hand where while my hiking stick is in the right. Never thought of this when using my old eTrex Legend. . . and seems somewhat irrelevant now that I have an Oregon.

To the OP: Get these units in your hands to demo them (a caching event is a great time to play with various technologies, or your local outdoors retailer). See what you like the best.

If you had to pick the Hcx or 60Csx, I'd go with the 60Csx because of it's reputation as a rock solid accuracy monster. Truly paperless? Maybe in some ways but not like an Oregon or PN-20 (30, etc...).

I'll be another to highly recommend the PQ's as a way to enhance your caching experience. I used the trial that came when I registered my Oregon (and also another 30 days on my Legend) before ponying up the $30 for my membership. While I don't use PQ's every day, it makes very quick work of getting ready for a day of caching. A few weeks ago I needed to have a current list before going out for a few quick grabs before an event. Less than 5 minutes later I had my two regional queries in my inbox, caches loaded to my Oregon 400t and was on my way. I hit all the attempted finds within normal error (less than 10 feet or so) and had have yet to have accuracy issues that would hinder a hunt. In addition I've hidden my first two caches with positive feedback from all but one finder. The caches are located in challenging conditions (very heavy tree cover, low lying with one side of the horizon blocked by high hills).

I guess it goes without saying I love my Oregon. It was very intuitive right out of the box. I'd save the money by going with the Oregon 300 today, but at the time I purchased the 400t was really close to the price of the 300.

I would really not consider either of those units a paperless unit. Sure there is some multistep process to get the info over to the unit spread across multiple POi points per cache but not fully paperless like the Colorado or Oregon units.

Of the 2 - the clear winner is the 60CSx - but it just doesn't meet all your criteria.

Might look into a Lowrance Endura Out&back unit - brand new but I have one and thus far (despite a few quirks) it is working rather well.

I would really not consider either of those units a paperless unit. Sure there is some multistep process to get the info over to the unit spread across multiple POi points per cache but not fully paperless like the Colorado or Oregon units.

Of the 2 - the clear winner is the 60CSx - but it just doesn't meet all your criteria.

Might look into a Lowrance Endura Out&back unit - brand new but I have one and thus far (despite a few quirks) it is working rather well.

The only paperless unit that fits the OPs criteria is clearly the PN-20.

Rockin Roddy,

have you had a chance to "test" the new lowrance endura? I'm leaning towards the PN-30 but sure like the screen size of the Endura. I've been using my mag.exp 600 for quite a while and have been used to the small screen size like the PN-30. But, it sure would be nice to have the larger screen of the Endura-if it can "matchup" similar to the PN-30.

thanks

Then it sounds like Garmin really didn't do their homework when they designed it. If they designed it to be used one way, and 90% of people do the exact opposite, that should have come out very early in design testing.

My DeLorme is ambidextrous, but I'm not - it's almost always in my right hand, unless it's in my pocket because I need both hands to keep my balance. I'm not even sure I could operate it with my left hand; I can barely operate a computer mouse with my left hand.

I thought I saw the PN-20 for around $125 recently?
Maybe used, eBay, etc... but presently $140-$180 would be a "good" price for new product from a reputable dealer. Add $30 for premium membership and $10 for Cache Register widget and this is one way to stay under $200 for a complete paperless solution.

The problem? Paperless it may be, but the PN-20 is just not as good a GPS as the PN-30 or -40... or many of the Garmins in that price range. It's a lot worse, actually - poorer reception, slower processor. Only to be considered if you really, really have to stay under that hard budget number.

Which strikes me as penny-wise but pound foolish. The GPS is something you're going to have for a year or two - the longer you keep it the more economical it is. So spending a little more for a unit you'll KEEP may make more sense than low-balling one you'll end up dumping in a few months.

Garmin, DeLorme, or a player-yet-to-be-named, the "cheapest" models are probably not your "least expensive" options in the long term.

Edited by lee_rimar
Which strikes me as penny-wise but pound foolish. The GPS is something you're going to have for a year or two - the longer you keep it the more economical it is. So spending a little more for a unit you'll KEEP may make more sense than low-balling one you'll end up dumping in a few months.

Garmin, DeLorme, or a player-yet-to-be-named, the "cheapest" models are probably not your "least expensive" options in the long term.

The way I look at most tools & gadgets, I can buy the $75 version twice, or the $100 version once. I'd rather not have the cheap one go south on me when I need it, if the expensive one won't.

The way I look at most tools & gadgets, I can buy the $75 version twice, or the $100 version once. I'd rather not have the cheap one go south on me when I need it, if the expensive one won't.

Is the geocaching widget still useful if I don't have a premium membership, we're still speaking about the PN-20.

Is the geocaching widget still useful if I don't have a premium membership, we're still speaking about the PN-20.

You can still load GPX files (created via GSAK or any other means) to get caches into the DeLorme devices. But it really does shine when you're a PM and you don't have to do anything beyond selecting the PQ and clicking "Sync" - it downloads right from gc.com and pops everything into your device.

You can still load GPX files (created via GSAK or any other means) to get caches into the DeLorme devices. But it really does shine when you're a PM and you don't have to do anything beyond selecting the PQ and clicking "Sync" - it downloads right from gc.com and pops everything into your device.

Would this "manual process" be the same for the Vista HCX? And if so, overall, whats a better GPS, the Vista HCX or the PN-20, I can't afford the 60CSX.

Edited by Tydog07

Rockin Roddy,

have you had a chance to "test" the new lowrance endura? I'm leaning towards the PN-30 but sure like the screen size of the Endura. I've been using my mag.exp 600 for quite a while and have been used to the small screen size like the PN-30. But, it sure would be nice to have the larger screen of the Endura-if it can "matchup" similar to the PN-30.

thanks

Sorry, no. I wish I could afford to go out and test it, just not an option for me at this time! You might post a new thread asking about a comparison between the two though, I would bet some have used the Endura! :laughing: I haven't heard a lot about the Endura which is probably a good thing since most people complain more than praise...if you know what I mean!!

As to screen size, I have used the OR 300 for a little more than a week and I must say, the smaller screen of the PN-40 (which I also own at this time...the OR is going back) really isn't an issue for me and I didn't really even notice a benefit when using the OR...the size difference isn't all that much...IMHO!

Would this "manual process" be the same for the Vista HCX? And if so, overall, whats a better GPS, the Vista HCX or the PN-20, I can't afford the 60CSX.

I'll echo the thoughts of Lee and DakBoy....buying cheap isn't usually the best route IMHO! If I had settled for the PN-20 instead of buying the PN-40, I might not be a DeLorme owner right now (speculating here). Seems the PN-20 isn't really a BAD unit, just not as good as the big brothers (30 & 40)...which of course makes sense. You get what you pay for and electronics are no different. Personally, I would scrape together the money needed to go with the PN-30 or I'd buy the Vista and do without the paperless (if accuracy is your most important requirement).

Problem with that, you'll likely end up with GPS envy and find yourself wanting to buy a better unit quickly as opposed to being more than happy with a higher priced unit which you'll likely not need to upgrade from for a few years as Lee implied! This could be a problem if you buy the Garmin and then upgrade to the DeLorme since you'll be buying all the accessories all over again whereas the PN-20 accessories would fit the PN-30 or 40!

Previous posters might have added another option though, maybe checking into the Lowrance Endura series is a good idea?? Not sure about pricing on this unit as I haven't really checked into it...yet! :laughing:

Without membership, you are only able to download information in a .loc file. It's been years since I dealt with .loc files, so I might not be remembering some of this information accurately--but we can count on someone to correct any factual errors I might make.

.Loc files will only contain the name of the cache and the coordinates, and as far as I can tell, will be for only a single cache per file that you can download from geocaching.com. Because of this, the Cache Register widget will not be a useful tool for you...you would be better off just importing each .loc file into the TopoUSA software that comes with the PN-20 to upload a bunch of them at one time to the GPS. Importing one cache at a time to TopoUSA would be a bit of a PITA, too, although not too bad if you're only doing 5 or 10 of them (most of us deal with hundreds or more at a time).

I don't think that the browser-base Send to GPS plugin that works with the PN-20 (or the Garmin version that works with the Vista) works for non-paying members, either...but I could be wrong on that. I couldn't tell when I tried to check it out. *If* you can download even just the coords and cache name with the plug-in, that would be useful to you. But I think they set it up to make it another incentive to pay for a membership.

Without membership, you are only able to download information in a .loc file. It's been years since I dealt with .loc files, so I might not be remembering some of this information accurately--but we can count on someone to correct any factual errors I might make.

.Loc files will only contain the name of the cache and the coordinates, and as far as I can tell, will be for only a single cache per file that you can download from geocaching.com. Because of this, the Cache Register widget will not be a useful tool for you...you would be better off just importing each .loc file into the TopoUSA software that comes with the PN-20 to upload a bunch of them at one time to the GPS. Importing one cache at a time to TopoUSA would be a bit of a PITA, too, although not too bad if you're only doing 5 or 10 of them (most of us deal with hundreds or more at a time).

I don't think that the browser-base Send to GPS plugin that works with the PN-20 (or the Garmin version that works with the Vista) works for non-paying members, either...but I could be wrong on that. I couldn't tell when I tried to check it out. *If* you can download even just the coords and cache name with the plug-in, that would be useful to you. But I think they set it up to make it another incentive to pay for a membership.

Then the Delorme might be a deal breaker for me, I don't need the membership because all I want is the .Loc file, and if I can't get that from the Geocaching.com website, then I guess I won't buy a Delorme. But from what I hear, the Garmins can get .Loc files from the Send To GPS Plug-in on every cache listing page. Can someone verify whether or not the Send To GPS Plug-in will work with the Delorme units?

We'll need clarification; my expectation is that whatever the Send To GPS plugin capabilities are, they perform the same for both Garmin and DeLorme flavors. I have seen in another thread that someone reported the Garmin plugin will send loc files for non-paying members.

... I don't need the membership because all I want is the .Loc file...
You don't know what you're missing. And if $30 a year will break your bugdet, I don't know how you pay for your boat, your computer, your internet connection, or your $200 GPS ... :anicute:

Yes but you don't NEED membership to get the job done. I've gotten around just fine without paying membership. I can download all of the caches I need to my Oregon (yeah the cache size and description isn't there, but thats what I do research beforehand for).

As of right now there isn't enough incentive to pay the extra fee. Geocaching.com isn't giving me enough for the money AFAIK. I'm not a paperless fiend, all I need is the waypoint in my GPS and maybe a little title for it that states what the name of it is. I'm not out looking for 500 geocaches a day, so I don't need the GPS to hold the kitchen sink for me of information.

Thats just my opinion though. If Geocaching.com started offering more incentives (maybe free t-shirt and a starter cache container for first time members) I would be willing to pay. But right now, its like trying to sell me a car just because it has 4 cupholders instead of 2. :laughing:

You don't know what you're missing. And if $30 a year will break your bugdet, I don't know how you pay for your boat, your computer, your internet connection, or your $200 GPS ... :P

Yes but you don't NEED membership to get the job done. I've gotten around just fine without paying membership. I can download all of the caches I need to my Oregon (yeah the cache size and description isn't there, but thats what I do research beforehand for).

As of right now there isn't enough incentive to pay the extra fee. Geocaching.com isn't giving me enough for the money AFAIK. I'm not a paperless fiend, all I need is the waypoint in my GPS and maybe a little title for it that states what the name of it is. I'm not out looking for 500 geocaches a day, so I don't need the GPS to hold the kitchen sink for me of information.

Thats just my opinion though. If Geocaching.com started offering more incentives (maybe free t-shirt and a starter cache container for first time members) I would be willing to pay. But right now, its like trying to sell me a car just because it has 4 cupholders instead of 2. :anicute:

So you're saying you have one of the top-of-the-line GPS units but no PM? Isn't that something like buying the best race car you can get your hands on, but only putting regular unleaded in it? Sure the gas makes it go, but it just sputters along like a cheapo car... (sorry, couldn't think of a better analogy this early today lol). OK, that's like paying for first class and then sitting in coach! That's like paying for the movie and leaving after the trailers. That's like.... :laughing:

Isn't the reason to own a unit that does paperless caching is so you can actually utilize that feature?? I don't search for 500 caches a day either, I hardly search for 1 cache a week at this point...BUT, should I have the urge in the middle of a nice afternoon while sitting here at my computer, I can just pick up my unit and head out since the info is there already. When I come home, I'm not tied to my computer again logging the one or five or ten finds, I upload via field notes and they simply wait in queue for me to finish the process...no need to worry if I lost the notes or anything, it's there waiting for me!

And, shame on you for thinking GC owes you more...just the listing service itself is worth the $30 a year (IMHO) and I'm about as cheap as they come! When I first started and owned a Garmin Etrex, you couldn't give me a membership, but I quickly realized that loading each cache by hand, writing down the notes (which were usually nothing more than size diff/terr, hint and name/GC #, but still took awhile to get written down) and then having to rely on them as well as the co-pilot (to keep track of the notes and to mark the RIGHT cache as found or DNFd or whatever...and then there's the bugs).

To each their own, but to me, a $30 a year expenditure here is money well spent! I mean, would you pay top dollar for a hi-def TV and then hook it up to an antenna?? ;)

You don't know what you're missing. And if $30 a year will break your bugdet, I don't know how you pay for your boat, your computer, your internet connection, or your $200 GPS ... :laughing:

Thats just my opinion though. If Geocaching.com started offering more incentives (maybe free t-shirt and a starter cache container for first time members) I would be willing to pay. But right now, its like trying to sell me a car just because it has 4 cupholders instead of 2. :lol:

So you're saying you have one of the top-of-the-line GPS units but no PM? Isn't that something like buying the best race car you can get your hands on, but only putting regular unleaded in it? Sure the gas makes it go, but it just sputters along like a cheapo car... (sorry, couldn't think of a better analogy this early today lol). OK, that's like paying for first class and then sitting in coach! That's like paying for the movie and leaving after the trailers. That's like.... :P

Isn't the reason to own a unit that does paperless caching is so you can actually utilize that feature?? I don't search for 500 caches a day either, I hardly search for 1 cache a week at this point...BUT, should I have the urge in the middle of a nice afternoon while sitting here at my computer, I can just pick up my unit and head out since the info is there already. When I come home, I'm not tied to my computer again logging the one or five or ten finds, I upload via field notes and they simply wait in queue for me to finish the process...no need to worry if I lost the notes or anything, it's there waiting for me!

And, shame on you for thinking GC owes you more...just the listing service itself is worth the $30 a year (IMHO) and I'm about as cheap as they come! When I first started and owned a Garmin Etrex, you couldn't give me a membership, but I quickly realized that loading each cache by hand, writing down the notes (which were usually nothing more than size diff/terr, hint and name/GC #, but still took awhile to get written down) and then having to rely on them as well as the co-pilot (to keep track of the notes and to mark the RIGHT cache as found or DNFd or whatever...and then there's the bugs).

To each their own, but to me, a $30 a year expenditure here is money well spent! I mean, would you pay top dollar for a hi-def TV and then hook it up to an antenna?? :)

No harm, no foul, but could someone just answer my question if the PN- Series can get a .LOC file from the "Send To GPS" Plug-in without a membership?

You don't know what you're missing. And if $30 a year will break your bugdet, I don't know how you pay for your boat, your computer, your internet connection, or your $200 GPS ... :laughing:

Thats just my opinion though. If Geocaching.com started offering more incentives (maybe free t-shirt and a starter cache container for first time members) I would be willing to pay. But right now, its like trying to sell me a car just because it has 4 cupholders instead of 2. :lol:

So you're saying you have one of the top-of-the-line GPS units but no PM? Isn't that something like buying the best race car you can get your hands on, but only putting regular unleaded in it? Sure the gas makes it go, but it just sputters along like a cheapo car... (sorry, couldn't think of a better analogy this early today lol). OK, that's like paying for first class and then sitting in coach! That's like paying for the movie and leaving after the trailers. That's like.... :P

To each their own, but to me, a $30 a year expenditure here is money well spent! I mean, would you pay top dollar for a hi-def TV and then hook it up to an antenna?? :)

No harm, no foul, but could someone just answer my question if the PN- Series can get a .LOC file from the "Send To GPS" Plug-in without a membership?

I don't think you can get a loc file with ANY unit unless you're a premium member...tis is my understanding of how it's always been. I have another account, let me give it a try with both my DeLorme and Garmin and I'll get back to you on that!

I don't think you can get a loc file with ANY unit unless you're a premium member...tis is my understanding of how it's always been. I have another account, let me give it a try with both my DeLorme and Garmin and I'll get back to you on that!

Tried it on the Garmin as I have seen where another DeLorme user stated he gets the diff/terr, name/GC#, size and location when not a premium member...it's the same with the Garmin. To make sure I am in the process of checking the DeLorme out...Yep, same thing! I should add, you also get all the logs on the DeLorme, only the first 5 on the Garmin.

So, yo answer your question, you DO get basic inof on either the Garmin or DeLorme, a bit more logs on the DeLorme...with no premium membership!

Exactly what he said ^^

Reconsider the PM decision once you get more comfortable with the unit.. severely hamstringing yourself without PQs.

I haven't been a member of the PM very long, and haven't used it's benefits, but will as soon as I upgrade my gps unit soonnnnnnnnnnnn. Still shopping and hope to make decision soon so we get it back in time for Labor Day trip. Bottom line....I love the membership :P

Looked at Lowrance Endura yesterday but map cards aren't due out for a while. Are you downloading maps from another website? I've been looking for reviews on previous Lowrance models but haven't located yet.

Yes but you don't NEED membership to get the job done.
You don't need a GPS either. Anyone who can't use a paper topo map and a compass shouldn't be out caching. Don't need your own computer or internet access either --if you don't know how to use the public library you're just wasting your money :P

If you spend one day a week caching, membership costs 57 cents per caching day ($30 / 52 weeks).

Membership gives me three things I think are worth the money: Access to Pocket Queries, access to certain "closed" areas of the GC forums, and access to some caches that basic members don't get. There are a few other things but that's what I'm paying for.

Worth it to me.

Edited by lee_rimar
Yes but you don't NEED membership to get the job done.
You'd don't need a GPS either. Anyone who can't use a paper topo map and a compass shouldn't be out caching. Don't need your own computer or interent access either --if you don't know how to use the public library you're just wasting your money :lol:

If you spend one day a week caching, membership costs 57 cents per caching day ($30 / 52 weeks).

Membership gives me three things I think are worth the money: Access to Pocket Queries, access to certain "closed" areas of the GC forums, and access to some caches that basic members don't get. There are a few other things but that's what I'm paying for.

Worth it to me.

We'll see.. :P I do want to support them, and if I DO pay the membership it would only be to pitch in and help, not for the benefits that come with it. I know I would never use the PQs and all of that...

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
We'll see.. :P I do want to support them, and if I DO pay the membership it would only be to pitch in and help, not for the benefits that come with it. I know I would never use the PQs and all of that...

Don't say that till you've tried it. PQs making planning caching outings, especially road trips, much easier. And better planning translates to more fun caching.