I'd sure like to know....

nclinnm

How a cache that has been published on August 8 can have already been found as a FTF on August 5!!!!!!!!!!!! This cache - GC1W561 - was published today, but even in the description it was noted as already FTF. I don't think this is fair at all, and I believe that the person(s) who placed this cache gave the info to the FTFers prior to the publication. Why can't all of us have the same possibilities of FTF? Persons who place caches shouldn't be giving the info on a cache to their friends to have a FTF.

Fairness, anyone???? :)

Edited by nclinnm

How a cache that has been published on August 8 can have already been found as a FTF on August 5!!!!!!!!!!!! This cache - GC1W561 - was published today, but even in the description it was noted as already FTF. I don't think this is fair at all, and I believe that the person(s) who placed this cache gave the info to the FTFers prior to the publication. Why can't all of us have the same possibilities of FTF? Persons who place caches shouldn't be giving the info on a cache to their friends to have a FTF.

Fairness, anyone???? :)

Some possibilities -

A. Wrong date was selected when FTF log entry was made.

B. Person was with the hider when the container was placed. In

this case a common convention is to log a Beta-Test find but only

after FTF has been fairly claimed.

C. Hider may indeed have favored a friend. This one is hard to

call, depends on what the "reward" was for the favor. Can you

think of any "reward" that might cause you to "favor" somebody?

Hmm ....

And what exactly was gained by getting the FTF?

Since this isn't a competition and no points are given for a FTF they really aren't important.

If you want you can go look for it and if you are the first person to find it after publication you can claim FTF rights. I hereby give you that right. In fact I give you the right to claim FTF on every cache you ever find. Sometimes you will be the FTF with blue eyes, sometimes you will be the FTF on a Friday, and sometimes you will be the FTF who has permission from me to be the FTF. :)

And what exactly was gained by getting the FTF?

Since this isn't a competition and no points are given for a FTF they really aren't important.

If you want you can go look for it and if you are the first person to find it after publication you can claim FTF rights. I hereby give you that right. In fact I give you the right to claim FTF on every cache you ever find. Sometimes you will be the FTF with blue eyes, sometimes you will be the FTF on a Friday, and sometimes you will be the FTF who has permission from me to be the FTF. :laughing:

There is also the possibility of finding the cache between the time its placed and published, there by finding and signing the nice clean log. There have been a couple of times where I have done exactly that and don't feel a bit guilty. GFETE

There is also the possibility of finding the cache between the time its placed and published, there by finding and signing the nice clean log. There have been a couple of times where I have done exactly that and don't feel a bit guilty. GFETE

I'm afraid I don't understand how you can find a cache before it's published?

Flutterwheelers

In the case of an IHO cache, it is against GC.com policy to say on a cache page that ONLY the IHO person can be FTF. So, often, the coords will be released a bit early to the IHO to ensure a FTF. Seems silly to me, but it is important to some people.

As for finding a cache before it is published, that has happened to me before. Check out this cache: Snake Cache

In the case of an IHO cache, it is against GC.com policy to say on a cache page that ONLY the IHO person can be FTF. So, often, the coords will be released a bit early to the IHO to ensure a FTF. Seems silly to me, but it is important to some people.

As for finding a cache before it is published, that has happened to me before. Check out this cache: Snake Cache

Flagman,

Can you explain what IHO means. I've never seen the term.

As far as proclaiming that so and so WILL be the FTF, on the cache page. I agree that it is silly.

A tribute cache was recently put out for my 3K find. It was published at about 6:30 AM. It was not spoken, nor written, but the local FTF hunters, who are mostly retired, understood that I had to go to work and wouldn't be able to get to it until at least 4:00 PM. They backed off and allowed me to be FTF on my tribute cache. IMO, that is not something that should be demanded in the cache description. It's a mutual respect that we have gained for each other by spending countless hours on the trail, countless hours locked up in the back seat of a car, and countless hours of fun times in a crowded pizza pub at the last event.

IHO = In Honor Of, typically it will be put out for or because of a specific cacher, for another cacher. For instance you may have a buddy who loves rock climbing caches, so you make a rock climbing cache entiled "IHO - "CacherName" Death from Above"

For instance, ThePolarBear and myself IHO caches for each other.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7e-8579a2e193f2

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cb-519748a1d089

Edited by Eric and Hill

Flutterwheelers

When I am hiking on a fresh trail for a new geocache I always keep my eyes open for likely locations. In this area especially, other cachers tend to drop new ones along the way. I won't mention any names as you know who you are. GFETE I even remember one time finding an un activated cache during the cache war that we took prisoner and activated it on the spot.

Flutterwheelers

When I am hiking on a fresh trail for a new geocache I always keep my eyes open for likely locations. In this area especially, other cachers tend to drop new ones along the way. I won't mention any names as you know who you are. GFETE I even remember one time finding an un activated cache during the cache war that we took prisoner and activated it on the spot.

Messin' with my sleeper caches, that what he was doing.

Why I oughta! :rolleyes:

Edited by SD Rowdies

IHO = In Honor Of, typically it will be put out for or because of a specific cacher, for another cacher. For instance you may have a buddy who loves rock climbing caches, so you make a rock climbing cache entiled "IHO - "CacherName" Death from Above"

For instance, ThePolarBear and myself IHO caches for each other.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7e-8579a2e193f2

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cb-519748a1d089

Thank you.

I had a feeling that it was the same thing that we call "tribute' caches. We usually do them around here because of milestones. I simply couldn't come up with what the actual acronym stood for.