Mapsource for Southern Ontario

Hey all.

I finally found a GPS MAP76 for less than $300 so I bought it up. This GPS is FANTASTIC for almost everything except for the limited memory it has. 8MB for maps is pretty small.

I recently got the Mapsource City Navigator 2008 and when I select the maps to install it selects ALL OF ONTARIo and it's 24MB. I only really want the Niagara Region. Does anyone know of a way I can crop out the rest of Ontario then send the map to my Garmin? I love the details of side streets etc but I simply can't fit all that map in my silly little 8MB space. :)

Once the maps are in mapsource and displaying on the screen select the map tool and then use it to only select the areas of the map you want to download to your GPS. You will see a running total of the amount of memory they take on the bottom of the map. Once you have what you want selected use the transfer-send to device menu selection and you are set. I don't know how many areas you will be able to select. In the US version the one chunk around Boston is over 16 MB.

Edited by MacFlash

Add an inexpensive SD card for your GPS...then you could fit all of Canada on it.

Seriously, you just spent $300 on the GPS and I'm guessing at least $75 on City Navigator...another $10 for an SD card will solve your problem with plenty of room to spare.

Add an inexpensive SD card for your GPS...then you could fit all of Canada on it.

Seriously, you just spent $300 on the GPS and I'm guessing at least $75 on City Navigator...another $10 for an SD card will solve your problem with plenty of room to spare.

That's a great idea, except I'm pretty sure the base Map 76 does not take SD cards.

Sorry to say, you got mugged, did you have a look at the gps prices lately?

The gps won't hold a Sd it's to old for that.

If you paid by Cc stop it.

If you're loving the base model Map 76, you'll flip for the "x" versions (Cx, CSx); which you should be able to find for less than $250 US. This gives you up to 4 GB memory via SD card, with all the performance you're getting now, plus some. To echo Splashy, if you like this one for the price, return it and get a more feature rich version for less $$.