Visiting Niagara Falls, looking for recommendations

modernman

Just got back from the falls last week. Marine Land is a good visit for the family. They have attractions for the kids and if you get to friendship cove early you can pet and feed the beluga whales.

The falls itself runs a great package where you can get a pass that includes behind the falls, Fury, made of the mist, walking the rapids down in the gorge, an elevator takes you down and back up, and use of the people mover all day. The cable car over the whirlpool is extra, but a fantastic view.

They also have fireworks over the falls. Check with local tourist information to find out when. There are also some interesting things at Clifton Hill like the sky wheel that gives a higher view of the falls.

Gorge Adventure Pass

We were disappointed when we did the "Journey Behind the Falls" a couple of years ago.

If you get the multi-attraction pass, then you should do it, as it is included but I wouldn't recommend paying separately for it.

As you probably know, they light up the falls at night. This is better viewed from the Canadian side as we have a view of both falls. They turn the lights on at dusk.

Have a good trip!

Go down river about 8km (before the Lewiston-Queenston bridge) and look for Niagara Glen park (or, it may also be called "Feather in the Glen"). In the park, you can find a steel stair case that descends the cliff wall about three stories. From there you can get onto a trail system through some of the most amazing terrain -- positively primeval -- and make your way right down to the raging river.

Not to be missed, although 4 may be a little young unless of course he is used to a 2-4km walk.

More info here. (Note the picture at the link... I have pictures of my children right inside the "skull" rock.)

I've visiting the Canadian side of the falls with my two children (ages 8 and 4). This is our first time visiting the falls and I was hoping some locals or someone familiar with the area could give me some suggestions what we can do. Thanks in advance.

I took this post as if you were looking for suggestions for caches to find while in the area? Attractions that people have already mentioned in their replies are good for touristing and offer something for everyone. If you're looking for geocaching escapes while up in this neck of the world, let us know. I personally work in Niagara Falls and live in the area.

I'd also recommend the Niagara Glen. There are a few great geocaches in this area as a bonus (Devil's Arch & Niagara Gorge) but getting around in here may depend on how much energy your littlest one has.

We were on the US side LAST Monday and saw the fireworks....worse display I have EVER seen! LASTed 5 minutes from 10:02 till 10:07 and they were shot for for a Canadian Holiday. Must not of been a big day.

Like the falls themselves the Canadian-side view of the fireworks is much more spectacular than the American view. The fireworks have furthermore been engineered to linger longer on the Canadian side to the Canadian situated viewer. When you are next in the area cross-on-over, it will cost somewhere between a Lonnie and a Toonie - best time to come is during our winter (August to July) especially on Beaver day. Mush....mush.....

:)

We were on the US side LAST Monday and saw the fireworks....worse display I have EVER seen! LASTed 5 minutes from 10:02 till 10:07 and they were shot for for a Canadian Holiday. Must not of been a big day.

Nice ErathCaches in the area!

They set off fire them off every Friday (in the summer) and on holidays. Starts at 10:00pm sharp and lasts for 6 minutes.

If you want to travel 15 minutes west of the falls, follow Thorold Stone Rd. You will go under a tunnel. This tunnel is under the Welland Canal. It is an amazing thing to see. (and it's free).

I forgot the tunnel. Yes, it is very cool.

So is the Canal. Lock 7 N43 7.3 W79 11.7, the Flight Locks, Lock 3. Just seeing the 'silent giants gliding by you' is one of my favourite things to do.

If you want to travel 15 minutes west of the falls, follow Thorold Stone Rd. You will go under a tunnel. This tunnel is under the Welland Canal. It is an amazing thing to see. (and it's free).

I forgot the tunnel. Yes, it is very cool.

So is the Canal. Lock 7 N43 7.3 W79 11.7, the Flight Locks, Lock 3. Just seeing the 'silent giants gliding by you' is one of my favourite things to do.

Did that with the wife and kids one year. The elevated walkway above the lock is cool.

192740354_3c01b815e2_b.jpg

I've visiting the Canadian side of the falls with my two children (ages 8 and 4). This is our first time visiting the falls and I was hoping some locals or someone familiar with the area could give me some suggestions what we can do. Thanks in advance.

Please consider some tourist items presented through an alternative Groundspeak method. Many people have added these points of interest in this tourist area.

Niagara Parks Floral Clock

Brock's Monument at Queenston Heights Park

Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens

Butterfly Conservatory

Niagara Glen - Descent into the Gorge

Spanish Aero Car above the Whirlpool

Cham Sham Buhhdist Temple

Louis Tussaud's Wax Museum

Guinness World Records Museum

Incline Railway

Niagara Falls itself

Niagara Parks Greenhouses

:rolleyes: BQ

Thanks for all the tips. We ended up getting the multi-pass, which is the way to go since (as a few people mentioned) the individual attractions are a little weak but when taken together were a lot of fun. As always whenever I've visited Canada I've been impressed with the friendliness of everyone. I was really surprised by the international makeup of visitors since I always thought of the falls as being a relativity local attraction.

One thing I wish I did ask about before going was restaurant recommendations. I'm sure they're some great places that we missed out on. I'm not a fan of chains and have a limit of the amount of fried food so dinning was a little tough.

Dufferin Islands was amazing but seems like it doesn't get a lot of visitors, which is too bad since it's a short walk from the main attractions.

Sorry I wasn't clear regarding geocaching vs. general tourist info. My wife isn't really a catcher but is a good sport so we had a rule that we would try to hit as many caches as possible but it's wasn't our main reason for the trip.

We ended up only having time to find the 1st part of three different puzzle caches that we had to give up on due to scheduling and/or my 5 year old son's short attention span. Personally I really like puzzles and the ones near Niagara Falls seemed really interesting.

Thanks again.