Geofootball Returns!

MountainRacer

As August burns on and September appears on the horizon, it comes time again to arrange a friendly, seasonal competition among caching football fans: the geocoin fantasy football league! It was quite fun last year, and we had a good mix of experienced and 'rookie' fantasy players, all of whom managed to be quite competitive. If you're not sure what fantasy football is, here's a brief summary from last year's thread:

It's really easy to play online because the computer keeps track of all of the points. In the beginning, there is a draft where each team will receive a couple of quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, kickers and defenses. Each week you will play a different team in your fantasy league... so let's say week one, you are playing me... we both pick our best quarterback, two running backs, three receivers, one kicker and one defense to "play" against each other. Each touchdown, field goal, etc is worth points for your team... yards are also worth points... ex. for a quarterback, 25 yards=1 point, a touchdown=6 points. So if you have Peyton Manning and he throws for a touchdown, runs for a touchdown and has 200 yards, he will score your team 20 points!

We use a head-to-head format, and win-loss records determine who gets into the playoffs at the end of the season, which in turn determines the overall champion. The stakes are one geocoin per player, to be mailed directly to the winner (honor system) upon conclusion of the season. We use Yahoo!'s league system to host the league.

If interested in playing, indicate so here. There are a maximum of 12 slots available. Preference will be given to returning players, and the remaining slots will be filled via random drawing.

As far as I know, there are no others planned, at least not that have hit the forums yet. Last year's organizer hasn't been on in a long time, so I took over so we could keep it rolling along. Yes, it's one of the Yahoo leagues. If you're talking about the one you joined last year -- which I was in with you -- the link no longer works.

As far as I know, there are no others planned, at least not that have hit the forums yet. Last year's organizer hasn't been on in a long time, so I took over so we could keep it rolling along. Yes, it's one of the Yahoo leagues. If you're talking about the one you joined last year -- which I was in with you -- the link no longer works.

Email sent to you about last years league....

Clarification, folks!

This league is not replacing last year's geocoin league, which was (and still is) run by Triplewisdom. I missed an e-mail and went by a mistaken assumption, for which I apologize. However, due to popular response, I'll be running a new league parallel to the existing one, in case you didn't get into the original! The same playing rules apply, as delineated above; the ante is still one trackable geocoin per player, to be paid to the winner at the end of the season. (Go on, try to pretend that 11 new coins doesn't sound tempting!) The first 12 interested parties to post their intentions are in! So far we've got:

1. MountainRacer

2. seekerfamily

3. kini ont

4. MrsJonesen

5. opalsns

6. LadyBee4T

Post your interest and I'll e-mail you our league link and password.

Edited by MountainRacer

Can we play in this league too if we're in the other one? As I'd love to join another league LOL If not then thats the way it goes...

Me too! I'm in TripleWisdom's league already, but if there are spots available, I wouldn't mind being in both. Just put me on the reserve list. If you find 20 players before draft day, then cut me. :)

Tweaked the league on the recommendation of someone much smarter than I in the ways of such things. The maximum number of players was pared back down to twelve, because with 20 players needing two or more of many positions, we'd need forty NFL teams to provide everyone with enough starters, and getting stuck with scrubs isn't much fun. Also, the roster counts for a few positions have been increased slightly, while the bench has been trimmed a few spots; the upshot is to reduce the number of infuriating occasions when you have a player sitting on the one day he works miracles, and also to keep good players from being 'locked up' and not played by an owner with extra spots on his bench.

Tweaked the league on the recommendation of someone much smarter than I in the ways of such things. The maximum number of players was pared back down to twelve, because with 20 players needing two or more of many positions, we'd need forty NFL teams to provide everyone with enough starters, and getting stuck with scrubs isn't much fun. Also, the roster counts for a few positions have been increased slightly, while the bench has been trimmed a few spots; the upshot is to reduce the number of infuriating occasions when you have a player sitting on the one day he works miracles, and also to keep good players from being 'locked up' and not played by an owner with extra spots on his bench.

Hear hear! That sounds wonderful! I didn't make the playoffs last year because the Eagles sat Brian Westbrook the last half of the last game. If he had run just 20 yards after halftime... just 20 yards!!! :)

I'm so excited to see this idea taking off! It looks like we may have two spots available in the original league...I've been wating to fill them becaause I wanted the original team owners to have the first chance. If the spots still are not filled by Monday, we will recruit new teams. The first goes to Seekerfamily if they are still interested (they contcted me a couple weeks ago) and the second will be up for grabs. Let me know when the new league is full and the next interested party can join our league...sound fair?!? Good luck to everyone!

All right! Here's the player list as it stands this morning.

1. MountainRacer

2. seekerfamily

3. kini ont

4. MrsJonesen

5. opalsns

6. LadyBee4T

7. E&Cplus3

8. teamhaynes

9. AlienHeads

10. hiking dude

11. Zelanzy

Check your e-mail for the league info. We have one spot remaining! Next interested poster will be the last!

1. MountainRacer

2. seekerfamily

3. kini ont

4. MrsJonesen

5. opalsns

6. LadyBee4T

7. E&Cplus3

8. teamhaynes

9. AlienHeads

10. hiking dude

11. Zelanzy

Glad to see my NASCAR buds over on this channel, LOL!

Hey LadyB4T, hey kini, ha,

IT'S ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOoooooooooooooHOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all GeoFootballers! Now who's gonna be big and bad enough to knock me off my comfy, citrusy throne? *evil laughter* JK

Actually, a friendly word of advice regarding the "spoils" that will help out considerably in the long run: Have all the team players send their antes early, and to one person. Someone who will be willing to send them all out at once after the season ends. That way, there's no confusion as to who put in their coin, and who still owes, etc, etc. It's kinda awkward for the winner to have to "ask" for their coins, and I kinda didn't, and I didn't keep track of who sent theirs and who didn't. Kinda messy, y'know? This solves all of that.

So you fantasy football wannabees have fun, talk trash, and just TRY and knock off the likes of the original Geo-Super Bowl I Champions:

The Citrusisco Forty-Yimers!

Good luck to all GeoFootballers! Now who's gonna be big and bad enough to knock me off my comfy, citrusy throne? *evil laughter* JK

Actually, a friendly word of advice regarding the "spoils" that will help out considerably in the long run: Have all the team players send their antes early, and to one person. Someone who will be willing to send them all out at once after the season ends. That way, there's no confusion as to who put in their coin, and who still owes, etc, etc. It's kinda awkward for the winner to have to "ask" for their coins, and I kinda didn't, and I didn't keep track of who sent theirs and who didn't. Kinda messy, y'know? This solves all of that.

So you fantasy football wannabees have fun, talk trash, and just TRY and knock off the likes of the original Geo-Super Bowl I Champions:

Hate to tell ya Dave but that's the other league!!! And right now that throne is up for grabs there!!!!

Hate to tell ya Dave but that's the other league!!! And right now that throne is up for grabs there!!!!

Yeah, just setting the trash-talking bar for another group of 'ballers! You'll have to wrestle my citrusy scepter from my cold, rotten hands! Hah!

I'm going to set the league to "Draft Ready" status at the end of next week, at which point the computer will run the draft automatically with whatever modified lists the team owners have come up with, or else with the default list. We can't tweak it while the draft is in progress; it's fully automated and once started, you'll only be able to make changes once it's done and you have your initial set of players.

Here's the big list again of who's in. If you're on it, you've been sent an e-mail with the league info, so go set up your team! If you didn't get the e-mail or are having technical issues, let me know right away.

1. MountainRacer

2. seekerfamily

3. kini ont

4. MrsJonesen

5. opalsns

6. LadyBee4T

7. E&Cplus3

8. teamhaynes

9. AlienHeads

10. hiking dude

11. Zelanzy

12. rickctroop13

Edited by MountainRacer

I'm so excited to see this idea taking off! It looks like we may have two spots available in the original league...I've been wating to fill them becaause I wanted the original team owners to have the first chance. If the spots still are not filled by Monday, we will recruit new teams. The first goes to Seekerfamily if they are still interested (they contcted me a couple weeks ago) and the second will be up for grabs. Let me know when the new league is full and the next interested party can join our league...sound fair?!? Good luck to everyone!

Yes, we are still interested.

Got Brian Westbrook and half of the Philadelphia team. By the way - TO SUCKS

I can't cheer for Philly any more since they signed Michael Vick. :laughing: I mean, its a given that McNabb will get injured during the season. But McNabb AND Kolb?? Maybe Vick will play WR this year.

I just heard about Vick getting picked up by the Eagles . He'll be QB but is not starting in Regular series, but will be in pre-season game? Is that what they're saying?

And I can see in my Crystal Ball that the Eagles are really gonna choke on Vicks fur balls this season!!!!!!!

I HATE animal abusers!!!!!They can all die a very painful death!!!!!

Ooooooooooooooooo but I do have a good team and it looks like I'm playing the commisioner's team in week 1, YIKES!!!!!!!!!