Horse feathers

drsolly

Couldn't agree with you more. I am afraid our latest cache at Eden Project is just off a footpath that some horses use and you have to tip toe through the turds. Apparently horses waste contains tetanus, so yes it would be nice for the horses riders to get off their steeds and scoop it into a bag.

I don't mind cows; it's their field. But when I'm wa;lking down a narrow bridleway, avoiding ruts and deep puddles,I just wish I didn't also have to keep picking my way around horse poo.

Don't be such a wuss, it's the countryside not a sterile town centre.

Use the horse poo as a stepping stone :)

Couldn't agree with you more. I am afraid our latest cache at Eden Project is just off a footpath that some horses use and you have to tip toe through the turds. Apparently horses waste contains tetanus, so yes it would be nice for the horses riders to get off their steeds and scoop it into a bag.

Tetanus is found in the soil so I suggest avoiding all caches that are anywhere near any soil if it is such a concern to you :)

A bridleway is going to have horse poo on it. Horses are not supposed to go down footpaths but can go down bridleways.

We are country folk (although we live on the edge of a town now) and have no problem with horse, cow, sheep or any other livestock poo.

Dog poo on the towpath or outside our house really hacks us off, as does cat poo in our yard :) especially as we don't have a cat!

At least horses are veggies and the poo breaks down very quickly, much faster than dog poo.

A bridleway is going to have horse poo on it. Horses are not supposed to go down footpaths but can go down bridleways.

We are country folk (although we live on the edge of a town now) and have no problem with horse, cow, sheep or any other livestock poo.

Dog poo on the towpath or outside our house really hacks us off, as does cat poo in our yard :cool: especially as we don't have a cat!

At least horses are veggies and the poo breaks down very quickly, much faster than dog poo.

I think you had better tell the riders that, the Camel Trail is a sustrans cycle path and footpath and you have to dodge the horses, the same goes for the trail where I left our Eden cache.

Being a horse rider...... I'm just wondering how you expect me to clear up after my horse while out riding in the middle of nowhere? Do i take a pocket full of big plastic bags and ride home carrying huge bags of poo!?!

Or expect my horse to tow a wheelbarrow and shovel behind him!?! :cool:

Horses aren't meat eaters so their poo doesn't smell like dog poo and it's usually big enough to see to avoid treading in it!

I think if you are that worried about a bit of horse poo you should stick to caching in towns. :D

I've been picking up horse poo all my life and its never done me any harm...............! :laughing:

Dog poo on the towpath or outside our house really hacks us off, as does cat poo in our yard :cool: especially as we don't have a cat!

I think you had better tell the riders that, the Camel Trail is a sustrans cycle path and footpath and you have to dodge the horses, the same goes for the trail where I left our Eden cache.

I think you'd better check your facts the Camel Trail literature states that it is an "18 mile multi-use route

available for walkers, cyclists and horse riders." A mere 2 minutes research suggests that the trail near the Eden Centre is the same!

<<Being a horse rider...... I'm just wondering how you expect me to clear up after my horse while out riding in the middle of nowhere? Do i take a pocket full of big plastic bags and ride home carrying huge bags of poo!?!>>

Method 1 - same as dog owners; your idea of a pocket full of plastic bags sounds great.

or method 2 - the way that horse-and-cart users do it in towns, you put a bag at the ouitput position

or method 3 - google "horse poop scoop"

How do the mounted police do it? Or don't they care?

<<Or expect my horse to tow a wheelbarrow and shovel behind him!?! :cool:

Horses aren't meat eaters so their poo doesn't smell like dog poo and it's usually big enough to see to avoid treading in it!>>

It isn't the smell that bothers me. I'm just wondering when it'll become unacceptable, just as it is for dogs. I don't find the smell of dog poo bad (maybe my sense of smell is poor). I just don't like treading in it. Yes, I know it won't harm my boots.

<<I've been picking up horse poo all my life and its never done me any harm...............! :laughing:>>

I think what I'm looking forward to, is the time when all the other horse riders start picking up horse poo, just like you do.

<<Being a horse rider...... I'm just wondering how you expect me to clear up after my horse while out riding in the middle of nowhere? Do i take a pocket full of big plastic bags and ride home carrying huge bags of poo!?!>>

Method 1 - same as dog owners; your idea of a pocket full of plastic bags sounds great.

or method 2 - the way that horse-and-cart users do it in towns, you put a bag at the ouitput position

<<Or expect my horse to tow a wheelbarrow and shovel behind him!?! ;)

Horses aren't meat eaters so their poo doesn't smell like dog poo and it's usually big enough to see to avoid treading in it!>>

It isn't the smell that bothers me. I'm just wondering when it'll become unacceptable, just as it is for dogs. I don't find the smell of dog poo bad (maybe my sense of smell is poor). I just don't like treading in it. Yes, I know it won't harm my boots.

<<I've been picking up horse poo all my life and its never done me any harm...............! :P>>

I think what I'm looking forward to, is the time when all the other horse riders start picking up horse poo, just like you do.

I think this post must be a wind up or this country has gone mad and I'm emigrating!

I was joking about the plastic bags... how am i supposed to put 3kgs of horse muck in a bag in my pocket?

I only pick up horse poo at home or if they do in front of someones house or on the pavement (yes i know you shouldn't ride on the pavement) - but on a bridlepath in the middle of nowhere - get real!

What next - ban mud?!? :wub:

<<Or expect my horse to tow a wheelbarrow and shovel behind him!?! ;)

<<I've been picking up horse poo all my life and its never done me any harm...............! :P>>

I think this post must be a wind up or this country has gone mad and I'm emigrating!

I was joking about the plastic bags... how am i supposed to put 3kgs of horse muck in a bag in my pocket?

I only pick up horse poo at home or if they do in front of someones house or on the pavement (yes i know you shouldn't ride on the pavement) - but on a bridlepath in the middle of nowhere - get real!

What next - ban mud?!? :wub:

I was on a footpath today (footpath = no horses) and had to step carefully to avoid the horse poo.

You don't put 3kg of horse poo in a bag in your pocket; you could have a way for the horse to carry it until you get to a place where you can dispose of it properly. Like a saddlebag, maybe? This isn't an impossible proposition - I'm sure that police horses aren't allowed to leave poo all over the roads.

No, I don't want to ban mud. Mud isn't poo. I'd just like the opportunity to walk along a footpath (and maybe even a bridleway) without having to step around the dog poo (already socially unacceptable) and horse poo (which for reasons I don't understand, hasn't become socially unacceptable yet).

Here's the "Bun bag" http://www.bunbag.com/

<<Or expect my horse to tow a wheelbarrow and shovel behind him!?! :D

<<I've been picking up horse poo all my life and its never done me any harm...............! :laughing:>>

What next - ban mud?!? :)

I was on a footpath today (footpath = no horses) and had to step carefully to avoid the horse poo.

You don't put 3kg of horse poo in a bag in your pocket; you could have a way for the horse to carry it until you get to a place where you can dispose of it properly. Like a saddlebag, maybe? This isn't an impossible proposition - I'm sure that police horses aren't allowed to leave poo all over the roads.

No, I don't want to ban mud. Mud isn't poo. I'd just like the opportunity to walk along a footpath (and maybe even a bridleway) without having to step around the dog poo (already socially unacceptable) and horse poo (which for reasons I don't understand, hasn't become socially unacceptable yet).

Here's the "Bun bag" http://www.bunbag.com/

It's chewed up grass. Jut step in it and get on with life you big wuss :laughing:

Oh dear, i look at these posts and have to laugh to myself!

Get real everyone! (with the exception of a couple of posters on here with brains!)

Whats the problem? Its horse poo, realistically you cannot get off a horse and pick up its poo! You step in it? so what?! I personally quite like the smell! Having three horses myself i there is nothing more irritating than some stuck up twerp with nothing better to do than complain about horse poo! I have 5 friends who are in the mounted police (two of which are in the Met) they do not pick up there horse poo, nor do they have bags on there horses or people that come up behind them and pick up the poo for them,

Imagine at a football game or a riot where police horses were in attendance, you see them jumping off the horses all the time to pick up poo dont you?

I do agree that dog poo should be picked up, it is neither dangerous or impossible to pick up poo from your dog, unlike horse poo, it really really stinks!

I think that you should ditch caching as a hobby, stay in your house, lock your doors, draw your curtains and just sit there, at least then you will be out of everyones way!

Sorry about the rant, it just really gets my goat to hear people complaining over pathetic things, havnt you got more in life to worry about than horse poo, or perhaps you havnt?

Need i say it.....Get a life!

Edited by PileOuFace ?

What is everyone on about here. Country life is country life, poo here, poo there AND. If you really wish to get annoyed I think we should think about other things. Such as the paper hankies that suddenly appear where people have used the area where you have placed a cache. The cache was there first, ok muggles dont know that it is there, but it is a problem. Anyway without the country life there would be no country, no country no caching - unless you live in a town. So please, as said before, enjoy the country life as it is. Oh, by the way horse waste is good for the roses, has been for yrs. :D. Please close this thread its going too far :) .

Edited by speakers-corner

Don't have a problem with it myself, if you're in the country you should expect to have to negotioate horse/sheep/cow/rabbit/fox/bird/...... poo, if you're expecting people to sweep up after their horses, will it be the sheep & cows next? In my experience there's not that much of it about, it's easy to see (unlike dog poo) and easy to step around, and even if you do step in it it's only grass and doesn't stick or smell as bad as dog poo.

Also regarding horses on footpaths, bear in mind that most footpaths in the country are on someones land and if that landowner wants to (or is happy for other people to) ride a horse on their land I don't think there's much can be done about it.

And the horses come trotting up the main road through Cheddar Gorge (lots of caches here including two near the main shops), have a HUGE dump which the cars then spread everywhere, tourists inattentively step through it and next thing it is carried into shops, restraunts etc

Disgusting!

I don't mind cows; it's their field. But when I'm wa;lking down a narrow bridleway, avoiding ruts and deep puddles,I just wish I didn't also have to keep picking my way around horse poo.

Don't be such a wuss, it's the countryside not a sterile town centre.

Use the horse poo as a stepping stone :)

And the horses come trotting up the main road through Cheddar Gorge (lots of caches here including two near the main shops), have a HUGE dump which the cars then spread everywhere, tourists inattentively step through it and next thing it is carried into shops, restraunts etc

Disgusting!

I agree. Why don't the filthy disgusting tourists wipe their feet before entering shops and restaurants :)

Edited by uktim

Horses and their poop should be confined to specially constructed and suitably guarded poop fields - perhaps surrounded by reinforced enclosures containing all these killer-cows that constantly threaten to trample everybody to death. Oh, and preferably all linked by the new erosion proof, all encompassing, access-all-areas coastal footpath that the country so desperately needs. God forbid that anybody should be forced to actually put any thought or effort into recreation these days.....

:)

Edited by keehotee

while were on about it...any chance someone can have a word with the neighbours cat? He keeps coming in our garden... just wait until the dog gets home from his holidays, he wont be chuffed

Please can we stay on topic - this thread's supposed to be about poop.

Perhaps you're stroking your neighbours cat too much??

:):D

It is possible to make a point without resorting to hurling insults like "stuck up twerp" and implying that people with a different opinion to yourself are brainless and need to get a life.

I agree. Not a great first step into the forums at all.

You could say that they stepped right into the poop, I guess. :)

I've been tempted to close this one, but I still have to come and look at the picture BlueDeuce posted every now and then. That's just funny.

What next - ban mud?!? :D

Now then, you have a great point there, why is it when you have a nice wide bridleway that the horses have to churn every inch of it up into a mud bath :drama: . As a dog owner I don't have a problem clearing up behind him as dog pooh isn't particularly pleasant and it is my belief that as they are carnivores it can be more harmful than that of a herbivore. And on the same note have no problem with horse pooh being left, after all it is much easier to avoid/see.

But as for the MUD :mad::mad::mad::mad: , do horses not like walking through mud so choose the non muddy bit and eventually churn that up too.

What next - ban mud?!? :D

Now then, you have a great point there, why is it when you have a nice wide bridleway that the horses have to churn every inch of it up into a mud bath :P . As a dog owner I don't have a problem clearing up behind him as dog pooh isn't particularly pleasant and it is my belief that as they are carnivores it can be more harmful than that of a herbivore. And on the same note have no problem with horse pooh being left, after all it is much easier to avoid/see.

But as for the MUD :blink:;);):) , do horses not like walking through mud so choose the non muddy bit and eventually churn that up too.

I'm glad you have no problem with horse poo........ but now a complaint about the mud horses make :P

You are right horses don't like stepping in the mud so will choose the driest route possible (they can get an infection in their legs from the mud - mud fever! - so i don't make mine step in it if pos')................................

but horses have just as much right to be on the bridle path as anyone.

I think some people would only be happy if the countryside was concreted over :)

As the Countryside Alliance car stickers say "Keep your Bull**** in Westminster and we'll keep ours in the Countryside" :)

...but horses have just as much right to be on the bridle path as anyone...

One could argue, that given the name "bridle path" they have more "right" than anyone else.

But,..."footpath", "roadway"?

I would personally never ride a horse on a footpath unless i had express permission from the landowner.

You would be very likely to come across an angry farmer with a shotgun shouting "Gerr orf moy Laaaand!" :D

One could argue, that given the name "bridle path" they have more "right" than anyone else.

Personally, I've never taken a bridle for a walk, nor it me, although a few have been attached to horses which took me for walks or faster.

Someone made a good suggestion about specified horse poo areas. Great idea. Or put the nappies on like they tried to do in Malta. You think I'm joking? Well I was, but I'm not now:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?sf=31&s...34150716355H622

It be true

A horse can poo

Wherever it likes

So on your bikes

:D

Personally, I've never taken a bridle for a walk, nor it me, although a few have been attached to horses which took me for walks or faster.

Where did "walk" come into it?

"Bridle path" is a path for bridles, (presumably attached to horses). "Footpath" is a path for foot.

"Path": noun: a line or route along which something travels or moves

Edited by Lost in Space

"Bridle path" is a path for bridles, (presumably attached to horses). "Footpath" is a path for foot.

Bridle paths were transport routes where the country was so steep that pack horses needed to be led by the bridle and the route was impassable by wheeled traffic.

Bridle paths were never designed or implemented for recreational use.

The source of the poop, however, has remained unchanged :D:P

Edited by keehotee

There's an argument here (obviously!) - but drsolly does make a point; on something like a bridleway, which is a shared resource, why is Poop X acceptable when Poop Y isn't? I don't want either on my boots and sometimes, when a horse had dropped off a particularly large deposit at the Bank of Ground it can be hard to avoid. There are sensible, practical ways faeces from 'leisure animals' don't have to become everyone's problem. Just because it's been acceptable to leave evidence of a horse's passage 'hanging about' in the past, and to some degree it still is -particularly in rural settings- it's not unimaginable that this may change in the future. Once it was ok in towns and cities too, but when was the last time you saw a pile on a London road? (I believe a van follows The Changing of the Guard boys and cleans up after them, for example).

As he's stated, the doc doesn't want the countryside (where he lives, btw) wrapped up in clingfilm; he'd just like to go about his business without having to be on a constant lookout for others'! Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but then I wasn't brought-up shovelling manure...

Poop in a field is one thing, but on a public route, where children will be walking, how is any of it anything other than 'bio-litter'?

Edited by Simply Paul

Once it was ok in towns and cities too, but when was the last time you saw a pile on a London road?

A couple of times in the last 6 months or so, on one occasion it was fairly fresh and I saw a couple of Met mounted police on the same outing, so I assume it was them that were responsible.

I blame the gardeners myself, when I was a kid any horse poo would have been whisked away onto someones veggie patch before it had finished steaming. Nowadays they want their fertiliser shrink wrapped :D

Oh dear - it was only a turn of phrase, to be taken in jest! Furthermore, I have A Level English so don't think I need a definition of that particular noun, thanks. In any case, what else are you to do with a bridle or footpath than walk along it, or travel along at some kind of pace (between caches of course)? No, don't say pooping. It's a rhetorical question.

:D

There's an argument here (obviously!) - but drsolly does make a point; on something like a bridleway, which is a shared resource, why is Poop X acceptable when Poop Y isn't? I don't want either on my boots and sometimes, when a horse had dropped off a particularly large deposit at the Bank of Ground it can be hard to avoid. There are sensible, practical ways faeces from 'leisure animals' don't have to become everyone's problem. Just because it's been acceptable to leave evidence of a horse's passage 'hanging about' in the past, and to some degree it still is -particularly in rural settings- it's not unimaginable that this may change in the future. Once it was ok in towns and cities too, but when was the last time you saw a pile on a London road? (I believe a van follows The Changing of the Guard boys and cleans up after them, for example).

As he's stated, the doc doesn't want the countryside (where he lives, btw) wrapped up in clingfilm; he'd just like to go about his business without having to be on a constant lookout for others'! Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but then I wasn't brought-up shovelling manure...

Poop in a field is one thing, but on a public route, where children will be walking, how is any of it anything other than 'bio-litter'?

Society has gone mad. Just how toxic do you think horse poo is? Children are quite robust enough to deal with it!

Edited by uktim

So as I read it:

i) As a dog owner/walker, if my animal leaves a "deposit" it is my problem.

ii) If I walk on a bridle path and step in someone else's horse's poo it is my problem.

iii) If I walk on a footpath across a field and step in cow/sheep/etc. poo it is my problem.

iiii) If a cat enters my garden and "poos" in my flower beds that's natural behavious and it is my problem.

I understand now, I am responsible for everything and everybody else. As UKTim said "Society has gone mad"

Edited by Neath Worthies

I understand now, I am responsible for everything and everybody else. As UKTim said "Society has gone mad"

No - you're only responsible for what you own! Your shoes, your dog, your garden. Riders have as much right to leave horse poo lying about (with the landowner's consent) as we do to leave tupperware lying about.

Ah, so you've met solly then. :D

(Mustards made the point horse-poop on roads can be dangerous, which reminded me of the time I hit some on a wet corner in the dark on my motorbike and was very lucky not to end up doing 50mph upside down and backwards along a ditch and through a hedge. I'd ban Diesel for the same reason. :rolleyes: )

Ah, so you've met solly then. :D

(Mustards made the point horse-poop on roads can be dangerous, which reminded me of the time I hit some on a wet corner in the dark on my motorbike and was very lucky not to end up doing 50mph upside down and backwards along a ditch and through a hedge. I'd ban Diesel for the same reason. :D )

Over 50mph round a bend on a dark wet road, I'm not sure that this would have been entirely down to the horse :rolleyes: