The Geocacher's Tool Belt

I've loved geocaching. I think it's my favorite game I've ever played. I've noticed, however, that through geocaching you can't just walk out at any time of day and expect to find a cache with nothing but a smile. You have to have the right tools available for every geocaching experience.

I'm gonna tell what I've now put on my Geocacher's Tool Belt, and a little explanation of why, and maybe you can all add your discoveries to the list to help me fill up the milk crate in the trunk of my car with additional necessary tools.

Tools:

GPSr - this one is, of course, the most obvious. but when I first discovered geocaching, it was from listening to and then watching a podcast called "The Totally Rad Show," and the only people I knew who had GPS devices had TomToms for their cars, and I had nothing. I started out with a Geomate, but quickly learned it wasn't hardcore enough for me, and I've upgraded to a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX.[/b] Used it for the first time yesterday, and went from a two-person job of 30 geocaches in a day to a one-man job of 51 in a day. So easy to use.

One or Two sets of Charged Rechargeable Batteries - ran out of power the first day. Can't let that happen again.

A Baggie for Dead Batteries - So they don't get mixed up

MAGLITE Flashlight - With the adjustable focus beam and sturdy construction, it's perfect for everything from latenight tree caching to skirts to magnetic key box locales to fencepost micros.

Camera - for those amazing cache finds

Finepoint Sharpie - writes on pretty much anything, even damp paper.

REPLACEMENT BAGGIES - I have these in two sizes from the craft section of Walmart. It's just plain courteous to have this when you find a busted baggy in a busted container inside of a raingutter.

Replacement Logs for Micromicro, Micro, Small - Sometimes these are needed. I haven't printed any yet, but its disappointing when your sharpie won't write on straight-up water. And as far as I know, nobody has invented the Jesus Sharpie yet.

OFF bug spray - On long days I don't leave the house without this anymore. I go buy some before I start, because my first long day I didn't and, even though I wore long socks and jeans, chiggers made their way up my pants legs and I am still, 2 weeks later, recovering from more than 40 chigger and mosquito bites. I'm not a good person at resisting the urge to scratch.

Hammer/Screwdriver combo - Recently had to add this to my toolbelt for a micromicro cache. If you haven't seen one yet, though I'm sure you have, look at your pinky. Wiggle your pinky. You see the last section of your pinky, mostly covered by your pinky nail? Yeah, MICROS ARE THAT SMALL AND MAGNETIC TOO. Imagine how many places those could be hidden? You might need to pop the top of a fence post off, and that's where Mr. Hammer and Screwdriver come into play. :-)

Attire:

Comfortable Walking Shoes - NEVER SANDALS

Two Changes of Socks - for those "surprise! you just stepped in a creek!" moments.

Clean shirt/Jeans - NO shorts

Deodorant/Perfume - nuff said

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure I'll be adding more stuff to this list as I go, but feel free to tell me others that I will need!

Edited by chrisrayn

I have two bags...one is backpack filled with all the stuff mentioned in the first post. The second is a fanny pack/water bottle holder type thing ($10 at Walmart...works great!) that holds the basic stuff like is mentioned in the 2nd post. All depends on what type of cache or where I am going to which bag I use. Generally, I have them both along in the car so I can determine which I want to use when we to the parking area.

Add:

Long piece of copper pipe with a big wad of gummy stuff (typically used for temporary mounting of pictures, etc) for retrieving those caches placed by a local who is something like 6'6" tall (and a few others that have disappeared down a few galvanized fence posts).

Add:

Tweezers! Gotta have those for some of the nanos around here.

I found a camelbak style bag at target for $30. Its stocked with...

> multiple pens. Im a pen junky... its just how I roll!

> collapsable walking stick. Got it really cheap & i've used it for moving large branches & bushes more than anything else!

> an extendable camera mount. Its for those "im taking my own pic, I hope my arm is long enough" moments.

> camera

> bug spray

> sunscreen (if my hair wasn't blonde, I'd be a ginger!!) :)

> my geomate junior

> batteries

> random swag

> Ned Flanders (We found a cache that was our 2nd attempt... someone had just dropped off a little Ned Flanders figurine, so we swapped since the husband is a HUGE simpson fan! We later discovered a button on his back & he says "Always room for one more flanders!" So, he's our new mascot!)

>h2o

> Ned Flanders (We found a cache that was our 2nd attempt... someone had just dropped off a little Ned Flanders figurine, so we swapped since the husband is a HUGE simpson fan! We later discovered a button on his back & he says "Always room for one more flanders!" So, he's our new mascot!)

Awesome :) I just have a bunch of lizard toys that ride on the dashboard.... I'd love to cache with Flanders!

[edit... stuff deleted after sleeping on it]

a Swiss Army knife, a 12 foot painter's extension pole (NOT on my "belt"), a *large* mirror on a telescoping handle (avoid those common ones the size of a dentist's mirror), likewise a magnet on a similar handle. A small roll of bailing wire. In the winter around here, a broom, and a gardening fork and trowel.

Edited by knowschad

I don't take this stuff to every cache...but it is available to me when I need it...

GPS(obviously)

Lighter(I like killing ticks with it)

Phone(for emergencies, pictures, web if available/needed)

Machete

Pocket Knife

Expandable Hiking Stick

Batteries

Coins/TB's if I have any or find any

Trade Items if I have any(not real big on trading items)

A Pen or two

water/gatorade(I also have a water backpack for longer hikes, holds a gallon or so)

waterproof hiking boots

hiking socks

bug spray

sunscreen

I also usually wear a hat and sunglasses(I've lost a few pair in the woods if anyone finds them...heh)

sometimes a sweatshirt...depends on if I need to do bushwhacking and how many thorns are around, though if it is too warm I'll take the scratches over the extra waterloss from sweat

I'll probably be adding even more stuff to the list...I pick up stuff as needed or as I think of things I want to carry/should have. A few things I will probably be adding include ziploc baggies, CITO bags, and a backpack/bag of some sort to carry stuff in.

Edited by rdfirebrd

I have learned to carry band-aids. The camo ones go over best in our family. Not only for our son who seems to forever be getting scratched, and even used them on myself after a run in with pickers.

We have what we call a Geo sack. A cheap little backpack given to us by my son's orthodonist.

In there we keep our trackables, a good supply of golf pencils, swag, bandaids, replacement batteries, small LED flashlights, bug spray.

Also in the cache mobile we always keep walking sticks, and schloop boots as we call them for those wet caches.

I have two bags...one is backpack filled with all the stuff mentioned in the first post. The second is a fanny pack/water bottle holder type thing ($10 at Walmart...works great!) that holds the basic stuff like is mentioned in the 2nd post. All depends on what type of cache or where I am going to which bag I use. Generally, I have them both along in the car so I can determine which I want to use when we to the parking area.

I have a fanny pack and backpack duo also. I pick which is suitable for the operation and go.

I am like Team Hartsock... I have two bags. I have one of the those jogging water bottle holder belts that hold two water bottles. I then attached the bag from this kit I bought on Ebay:

http://snipurl.com/pjfcw

This is used for summer time caching where I am only hitting a few caches without too much hiking. The bag can carry all of the swag, TB's and my GPSr.

For more heavy duty hiking I have a large Camelbak backback with the 3 liter reservoir that can last me for hours. I also use this bag when I plan on placing caches such as ammo cans which I want to keep out of sight on the trails until I get to its new home.

I have enjoyed reading this thread for ideas of what is missing from my "tool belt".

I went through several types of bags until I found my geosatchel which is a Baggallini. http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?col...#39;ZPC369' It has four compartments and is the perfect size, it is light weight, and has an adjustable shoulder strap.

Here is a list of what I carry in my Geosatchel:

GPSr

iPhone (hopefully with fully charged battery)

Camera

Mini first aid kit in a sandwich size ziplock bag - Off towlettes, Advil, Neosporin, bandaids, individual hand wipes

A few swag item (small rubber duckies)

Extra Batteries

Mini Leatherman

Knife

Paper clip (to remove nano logs)

Mirrors (one on an extentable handle)

A Guide to Geocaching (to give to curious muggles or law enforcement) http://www.geocaching.com/resources/guide_to_geocaching.pdf

Carmex

Mini notebook and extra pen

Another great question is "What do you carry in your geocaching mobile?" My friend Tnut carries everything including a mini ladder. She never gets to a cache unprepared! :cool:

Edited by Winstonsmom

Ok here is are list

1) Large back pack - Well i need a way to carry it

2)Twezers - for all the small things

3)Log rooling tool - Helps to rool up nano logs " Picked up at a event and we love it "

4) Swag- cute things to trade and kids items

5)Bug Spray

6)Gloves

7)Trash Bags

8)Pens and markers

9) Oh YA MY GPS

10) Cellphone - Ok so i may phone a friend

11)Duck tape

12)Cach conters - Never know when u get a nice sopt to place one

13)First aid kit - Hey i got kids

14) MAG LIGHT

15) Note pads sometimes a log is full

16) Battiries

17) Tbs and coins

18) Dry soxs

19) Camera

20) Bottled water

Ok i know its a list but hey what do u take with ?

Nylon Backpack, circa 1989

Water Bottle

Collapsible Hiking Stick - Part of my photography gear, the top unscrews to reveal a 1/4-20 camera mount.

Digital Camera (P&S, the SLR is too big for hiking with)

Motorola GFRS Radio (I've actually got a total of four of these for another purpose, but I keep one in the bag when caching)

Bug Spray

Zip lock bags

Nitrol Gloves

Notebook

Pen

Sharpie Marker

Tweezers

Screen Protectors (Universal, cut to fit type)

Signature Items to leave in caches (Bronze Bear charms)

First Aid Kit, including Tick Puller

Emergency Rain Poncho

Compass

Mini Maglite

Delorme PN-40

Spare batteries

Some assorted geocoins and TBs

The stuff that travels with me on a day to day basis:

Cell phone

Leatherman micro

Pocket knife

6' Tape measure

And, if I'm headed into deeper woods (or certain sections of the local cities :wub: ):

.40 S&W or a small CZ .380

Edited by Gryffyth

swag

a variety of pens (sharpe, ballpont, etc)

collapsible mirror (2 1/2 inch mirror - I'm tired of sticking my hand into suspect places)

collapsible magnet

flashlight

gloves (mechanic's gloves)

duct tape

wire coathanger (cache I intend to visit might require it...)

pocket knife

spare batteries

gpsr

blackberry (for better cache info then my gpsr can provide)

pocket knife

survival knife

mace (for shaving with, in the dark)

Aside from what I carry, I have almost any tool I could need in my car.

Iam new to geocaching, so my gear is still in it's infancy. I gotta steal my hunting backpack to go caching. I transfer the contents back and forth for the occasion.

Soon i will get a similar backpack for caching, and in it will be:

GPSr

my fountain pen for signing if possible...

pens (i make them and think i will use them for signature swag!)

sharpie

knife

flashlight

BUG SPRAY

machete

swag toys

mountain dew

bags for CITO

bags for repair/replace

paper

multi screwdriver tool

small hatchet/hammer/pry tool

tweezers

maybe a few small cache containers

sharpie

knife

flashlight

BUG SPRAY

machete

swag toys

mountain dew

bags for CITO

bags for repair/replace

paper

multi screwdriver tool

tweezers

Bolding mine. =) Yeah buddy, gotta have the dew. I just finished up my degree and i can say, without a doubt, if it weren't for that sweet nectar, I'd still be in school! Nothing like a caffeine jolt in the middle of the day when it's too warm for coffee. Can't really mess with the stuff while on the trail though. All the sugar and sodium will only make you more parched. As far as my caching gear: I ride my trek 4 series almost 100 miles a week (weather permitting), caching and working out, and carry everything in a Camelbak Hawg. Great construction, lots of storage, and can keep over 3 liters of water on me if i need it. The bag always contains, pens, pad of paper, compass (suunto M-3), Swiss Army Knife, Ipod (never go without tunes, and great with the GSAK macro to get cache pages paperlessly) mini sharpies, a towel, and whatever travel bugs i've encountered. The bag has tabs sewn into the shoulder straps that i use to clip my 60csx. Real convenient as the antenna always stays upright and my big dumb head doesn't block signal.

All the best,

Z

I carry a Maxpedition Fatboy versipack and it is really great, very heavy duty bag and is packed full of all sorts of stuff.

I have a first aid kit

folding knife

GPS

a log and pens

swag bag

paper map and compass

my ham radio

multi tool and mini screw drivers

lighter

a towel

Spare batteries

walking stick

I would really to add

a small pry tool

a rite in the rain notebook and pen

nice gloves

Iam new to geocaching, so my gear is still in it's infancy. I gotta steal my hunting backpack to go caching. I transfer the contents back and forth for the occasion.

Soon i will get a similar backpack for caching, and in it will be:

GPSr

my fountain pen for signing if possible...

pens (i make them and think i will use them for signature swag!)

sharpie

knife

flashlight

BUG SPRAY

machete

swag toys

mountain dew

bags for CITO

bags for repair/replace

paper

multi screwdriver tool

tweezers

You are just kidding about the machete, right?

Depends on the cache and terrain. Minimum is a pen. If it is not already within sight of parking I'll take the satellite photo and if it's big enough for trading I'll stick something in my pocket. As the distance and difficulty increase so does my list of needs... Everything I might need.. see the lists in posts above... is stored in a small day pack in the trunk of the car but I'm not much of a gadget guy so always go as light as possible.

I'm a newb and I already have a good sized kit. LOL!

Gpsr

iPhone Groundspeak app, awesome for in the field cache info.

hemostat

flat eyeglass screwdriver

mini maglight

compass

several pens

small notebook

baggies

Gerber multi tool

OFF

several Benadryl tablets in case of a bee hive explosion

shoe laces

water