Garmin Oregon 550

I am off to the store tomorrow and are realy tempted to change out my old faithfull Garmin 60 CSX for a new Garmin Oregon 550

Anyone used this one and would like to share they experience ?

Advantages ? Trouble ?

:blink:

I have had mine a few weeks and so far it has been reliable. The pictures it takes are much better than I thought they would be and the menu is easy. The only think I don't like is that to view a cache description you have to go back through the menu in a way that seems wrong. I have gotten used to it and have also found it to be very accurate.

Good luck. If you have specific questions feel free to ask....I'll do my best to answer.

That was a really good write-up on the 550T. So good that I think it just changed my mind on getting another 60CSX, (I lost my last one in Ape Cave...somebody got a really nice X-mas present). If you have the time and want the real scoop on the new Garmin 550T, this write-up is excellent and written in a language that even this computer-phobe even understands.

That was a really good write-up on the 550T. So good that I think it just changed my mind on getting another 60CSX, (I lost my last one in Ape Cave...somebody got a really nice X-mas present). If you have the time and want the real scoop on the new Garmin 550T, this write-up is excellent and written in a language that even this computer-phobe even understands.

Having had my European 550t a couple of days now (having upgraded from a Vista HCX). Overall very impressed but do not feel it is worth nearly 3 times as much money.

Pros

Nice screen, touchscreen far easier to use than joystick (in most cases)

Postcode entry

Paperless Geocaching

Geotagging (didn't think I'd use it but I think I will now)

Road routing display vastley improved

Wherigo

Cons

Toggling between screens more cumbersome when driving

3D view takes about 2 minutes to start working

Track log distance often incorrect

Saved tracks not importing in Mapsource (but can be copied manually)

Active route now only shows distance to next turn (no times or arrival time)

The cons really are just niggles and not show stoppers and will certainly be my new companion when travelling and Geocaching.

In summary, if you already have a Vista HCX and can live with the smaller screen and joystick then save yourself the money. Otherwise get the Oregon 550t :)

Edited by baz8755

Thanks a lot for all the good comments

We dont get the 550T in Norway so we will have to load it with our domestic maps

I have some questions still tho:

- Someone said that it was a leak problem in the gasket on the rear cover . Is that fixed ?

- It also has som problems locking on to Egnos Is that still there ?

- And the battery time hwois that compared to the manual ?

- How can i see that i "get" the lastest model form the shop. Is there a serial no i should be above ?

Edited by Team-Mikkelsen