Another feature request no one will agree with

Puppy Dawg

So here we go again. Another feature request no one else will want. On the "real" google maps, we can drag a little orange guy onto a street, then jump into "street view," where we can see what we see from the location. It would be nice to have this on the geocaching googlemap as well, especially if we could still see caches. For stuff like where you park or can you take this trail.

Sweet! You could scope out exactly which light post the film can was in, and whether or not you'd even have to get out of the car!!

Seriously, this would be useful. Sometimes the trickiest part of an urban cache is finding a parking spot.

You know I kind of like this idea. Then I could log one of Kit Fox's extreme caches and if he asks me questions about the find I could send him photos so he can believe I was there. Of course I would have to say I forgot the sign the logbook and the pen in the cache didn't work. But I'm sure it would fly.

Jim

Gosh, you guys ARE lazy!

Why not have small robots distributed everywhere that you can take control of (like some of those tilt & pan webcams) to make them log a cache for you while you're still at home? :cool:

Don't you see the challenge in geocaching? It's an outdoor sport, after all! If there's no parking area nearby then park somewhere more distant, take a walk and enjoy it - I know you will!

Or bring your bike along, a GPSr looks great on the handlebar! (Don't forget to additionally secure it with the lanyard, though)

:laughing:

best,

Pulvertoastmann

If a person drags their little orange guy on Googlemaps to where he finds the cache then does that person get a little orange smily find? We could have another catagory. We already have virtual caches. We could then have virtual finds. All the couch potatoes won't have to worry about breaking a sweat. They can cache and never leave their twinkies, potato chips, and Coke.

I actually think it's a good idea. I understand why people might be against it but in all seriousness... Couldn't the same arguments for not implementing it (laziness, isn't "real" geocaching, etc.) be made against providing any mapping, especially aerial overlays?

It seems like a pretty easy case of "if you don't like X feature, then don't use it".

Although speculating about the possibilities is fun, it is of course entirely possible to view cache areas in Street View already.

I personally would probably not make much use of Street View in the GC.com maps. But, it looks like it would not be hard to implement.

Sweet! You could scope out exactly which light post the film can was in, and whether or not you'd even have to get out of the car!!

Seriously, this would be useful. Sometimes the trickiest part of an urban cache is finding a parking spot.

If the coordinates are correct the specific lamp post can be identified with the current satellite images. The curbing is visible as are the lines showing the parking spaces. Count the lines and go for it. Sometimes the shadow of the pole is there as well. It's much more fun is to use the same type of information on tree tops and head for the woods.

Edited by edscott