why are people so lazy

paganfrog

that they dont follow simple mission instructions?

all i want is that my travellers do more than just travel, i really do like to have something interesting to show for their journeys by having good logs and pictures, but instead of that these so called geocacher losers just post a boring brainless one line log.

whhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????????

Edited by paganfrog

well i dont harrass anyone to move the bug on, unless its been many months. im quite happy to let the bug travel at almost any pace as long as it doesnt sit in someones possession for ages and ages.

it just annoys me that the missions are never read for info.

even when you use a little info tag attached to the traveller no one takes any notice of it. ive had people take them out the country even when it clearly states not to, and like my op mentions, at least give us something nice to read about when it visits different caches.

Why? Because no two people are alike. It isn't everyone. Some will go out of their way, some just want to rack up numbers, some are creative, and have the technology, some are lucky they figured out how to log it, some own cameras, some do not, some only log from their phone, some log from home, some have good intentions and no time, some have all the time in the world and no intentions. No two people are alike. You'll have those that take travel bugs on tours, and those that forgot they ever grabbed them and dropped them to the bottom of backpack. There is no accounting for why people do things.

furthermore...doesn't the random nature of the travelling make it just as interesting? The fact that you cannot predict where it will go, or if the goal is quickly accomplished or occurs occassionally and in bits and pieces makes it part of the fun, IMO. In addition, sometimes when a traveller is retrieved, you have no idea there is a specific goal until you log it. In other words, chill out and enjoy the ride.

Before I set out my first two (and still only two) travelers years ago I noticed that not many cachers "engage" in the missions. So I vowed that I would try my hardest to participate when I picked up a bug that had a real mission. I'm NEVER the quickest when it comes to moving along TBs... but when I can, I take as many pics as possible and log about how I helped them in their mission. My favorite one so far:

We took this one to 2 major places as well as stopped for a bite to eat for it's mission.

All I can do is abide by the same mantra as other parts of caching. I trade up or not at all, or sometimes don't trade but put in good swag. I replace caches the same or better as when I found them. And I try to do well by TBs on a mission.

all i want is that my travellers do more than just travel, i really do like to have something interesting to show for their journeys by having good logs and pictures, but instead of that these so called geocacher losers just post a boring brainless one line log.

WHY?

BECAUSE you can't expect everyone to play the game the way you would like. By giving your TB a mission you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You should just be happy when someone grabs it from a cache and actually moves it and logs it. Consider yourself lucky it's not lost or stolen like so many travelers.

Before I set out my first two (and still only two) travelers years ago I noticed that not many cachers "engage" in the missions. So I vowed that I would try my hardest to participate when I picked up a bug that had a real mission. I'm NEVER the quickest when it comes to moving along TBs... but when I can, I take as many pics as possible and log about how I helped them in their mission. My favorite one so far:

We took this one to 2 major places as well as stopped for a bite to eat for it's mission.

All I can do is abide by the same mantra as other parts of caching. I trade up or not at all, or sometimes don't trade but put in good swag. I replace caches the same or better as when I found them. And I try to do well by TBs on a mission.

All those are good values to live by as TB movers and cachers, Shadowraven! Thanks for articulating them so well.

Bugzie is our favorite TB we have moved so far. The whole family really got into playing with Bugzie. We kept him a long time -- WITH the owner's permission because we were doing so much with him. We also mailed back 2 packages to the owner with stuff Bugzie collected on his adventures with us.

I don't know how to post a link here without exposing Bugzie's unique tracking number -- sorry! If you are interested in reading his log, just search for him by name on the Trackables page on geocaching.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Boring brainless TB's generate boring brainless logs which as it happens matches the boring brainless background mosiac that define most of our lives.

Boring and brainless is, as boring and brainless does. Only rarely do things and moments stand out. Find them, create them, enjoy them.

I have a TB/Geocoin placed with a storyline, and clues to find it outside the normal cache. The cache is now archived, the TB is still there. Unfound, Unmoved. Boring and brainless or a challenge nobody has figured out that may generate at least 1 good log before it moves into B&B land? Beats me. I had fun placing it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

ive had people take them out the country even when it clearly states not to,

I have a bug that is in a race with my brother's bug. We are racing from Alabama to Arizona, and someone picked up my bug and took it too Germany!!!! :)

Good Grief! :(

Was the bug accompanied by a tag or print out with it's mission? If so there is no excuse for taking it overseas.

But if there was no mission statement with the bug then the person retrieving may not have had Internet access and may not have discovered the mission until the bug was logged in Germany.

Why? Because no two people are alike. It isn't everyone. Some will go out of their way, some just want to rack up numbers, some are creative, and have the technology, some are lucky they figured out how to log it, some own cameras, some do not, some only log from their phone, some log from home, some have good intentions and no time, some have all the time in the world and no intentions. No two people are alike. You'll have those that take travel bugs on tours, and those that forgot they ever grabbed them and dropped them to the bottom of backpack. There is no accounting for why people do things.

I have been all of these people. Tractable items are a frustrating hobby. Most of my tractable items have disappeared. It just seems to be the way things are. :(

I have noticed that some attach a TB to any old piece of crap and put it out there just to put it out there. I came across one the other day that had an plastic army man attached to it. It was not logged into the cache I found it in. Later, I found the mission was to find the person's car and then to log another TB magnet on their car. The only hint......."My car is red". Holy crap. There are almost 5 million people in my city! ;)

Another thing is there are no stinking "mission" notes attached when I come across an "unlogged" TB which I seem to find often enough. I make sure my TB is in a plastic bag with a copy of a printed mission log so people know what its mission is even if it isn't logged into a cache.

Are cachers just putting out TB just to have a TB out there? ;)

ive had people take them out the country even when it clearly states not to,

I have a bug that is in a race with my brother's bug. We are racing from Alabama to Arizona, and someone picked up my bug and took it too Germany!!!! ;)

I would have sent the cacher an email asking them if they were smoking something they shouldn't have.......

I guess you need to change the mission to get it back to the US!

I have noticed that some attach a TB to any old piece of crap and put it out there just to put it out there. I came across one the other day that had an plastic army man attached to it. It was not logged into the cache I found it in. Later, I found the mission was to find the person's car and then to log another TB magnet on their car. The only hint......."My car is red". Holy crap. There are almost 5 million people in my city! ;)

Another thing is there are no stinking "mission" notes attached when I come across an "unlogged" TB which I seem to find often enough. I make sure my TB is in a plastic bag with a copy of a printed mission log so people know what its mission is even if it isn't logged into a cache.

Are cachers just putting out TB just to have a TB out there? ;)

You print the mission and stick it in a baggie? Talk about stinking pieces of...Hey! Do what I do- Self laminating plastic tag, customized information, attached with a steel cable. That's a travel bug.

I don't see anything wrong with an army man. It travels well and it's certainly better than a hummel figurine.

Hang on, I'm looking for a photo of a bug you will enjoy.

I have to (kind of) agree with the question/statement. I guess it's just a fact of life. "It takes all kinds....." ya know!

Now, one of my bugs did not go off track to Germany (tho it would've been OK) -- but a caching crew going RIGHT TO (according to their cache log) one of its' objectives, left the darn thing laying in the cache they checked enroute to the objective.

I won't tell you what I thought of that maneuver, just to keep it civil.

Oh well, life goes on.

BTW -- that bug is now up and travelling... it does have multiple missions ;)

The OP reminds me that I have a bunch of pictures to post to TBs and coins.

Sometimes we take pics and forget or get busy.

So far this year I've had the brain of someone with ADD. Hey- look a squirrel!

And I agree, with a TB traveling, its fun to get pics showing where its at/has been. I have a TB in Germany that I wish had more pics to the logs.