Garmin gps60csx

i am just wanting to know is there anyway that you can store more than 50 cache's on this unit? I am getting annoyed that you have make space for wherever you are going to next. :blink:

Have you tried using a storage card? That will enable you to store many more.

i am just wanting to know is there anyway that you can store more than 50 cache's on this unit? I am getting annoyed that you have make space for wherever you are going to next. :blink:

I'm sure you can store at least 1000 waypoints but the real geocaching daddy is 'custom points of interest'. If you use GSAK (and if you don't, you should) have a look at the macro list in particular 60CSxPOI. You can store thousands of caches including brief details and clues :mad:

Edited by parkmoy

i am just wanting to know is there anyway that you can store more than 50 cache's on this unit? I am getting annoyed that you have make space for wherever you are going to next. :wub:

I'm sure you can store at least 1000 waypoints but the real geocaching daddy is 'custom points of interest'. If you use GSAK (and if you don't, you should) have a look at the macro list in particular 60CSxPOI. You can store thousands of caches including brief details and clues ;)

It must be me as i have a 2gb card in it and i am sending them over as cache's which once there is fifty save it wont do anymore. I will have a try at the other ways that some people have suggested Thanks

I'm sure you can store at least 1000 waypoints but the real geocaching daddy is 'custom points of interest'. If you use GSAK (and if you don't, you should) have a look at the macro list in particular 60CSxPOI. You can store thousands of caches including brief details and clues :wub:

Highly recommended.

Loads of POI's can be saved. -Including parts of the cache info eg hints!

I save over the cache waypoints, so you can use geocache mode, then save the caches as POI's for the extra info.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hello Mootanclan,

Reading between the lines I think you may be correct, in that when you press the FIND button and select GEOCACHE or WAYPOINTS, press ENTER, you are presented with the nearest 50 cache way-points. All the others are hidden on this screen. Find nearest shows the nearest 50 caches or way-points. To see all the GEOCACHE at the same time, (just let me figure this one out), think I've got it.

Press FIND, select GEOCACHE, press ENTER, press MENU, select FIND BY NAME, press ENTER, press Quit,

You should now be presented with all the geocache waypoints on your unit. This also works to display the waypoints all at once. Also works with POI though several thousand POI would not be practical to search through.

This may or may not be the answer to your problem, but it was interesting anyway.

Regards

Bernard

Hi Bernard

I tried last night with GSAK and it was transferring over but without the hint i tried filling different boxes but no hint was going over also i am trying to get rid of POI such as petrol stations,atms etc using the POI loader from garmin to uninstall them the pc said it had done it but when i check the gps there still there any ideas. i am going to try GSAK again tonight but it might be the old write the hints down on paper trick or i must be missing something please help!.

Regards

Moo

Hello Mootanclan,

Reading between the lines I think you may be correct, in that when you press the FIND button and select GEOCACHE or WAYPOINTS, press ENTER, you are presented with the nearest 50 cache way-points. All the others are hidden on this screen. Find nearest shows the nearest 50 caches or way-points. To see all the GEOCACHE at the same time, (just let me figure this one out), think I've got it.

Press FIND, select GEOCACHE, press ENTER, press MENU, select FIND BY NAME, press ENTER, press Quit,

You should now be presented with all the geocache waypoints on your unit. This also works to display the waypoints all at once. Also works with POI though several thousand POI would not be practical to search through.

This may or may not be the answer to your problem, but it was interesting anyway.

Regards

Bernard

How do i do Custom POI ?

I tried last night with GSAK and it was transferring over but without the hint i tried filling different boxes but no hint was going over also i am trying to get rid of POI such as petrol stations,atms etc using the POI loader from garmin to uninstall them the pc said it had done it but when i check the gps there still there any ideas. i am going to try GSAK again tonight but it might be the old write the hints down on paper trick or i must be missing something please help

i am just wanting to know is there anyway that you can store more than 50 cache's on this unit? I am getting annoyed that you have make space for wherever you are going to next. :)

I'm sure you can store at least 1000 waypoints but the real geocaching daddy is 'custom points of interest'. If you use GSAK (and if you don't, you should) have a look at the macro list in particular 60CSxPOI. You can store thousands of caches including brief details and clues :D

Sorry i am not very good at forums and not very tech thanks

Ahh... I wondered if that might be it. Just remember to type your response to the quote either in front of, or more usually after, the quote tags before you hit the 'Add Reply' button. You can also click on the 'Preview Post' button to see what your new posting will look like before you actually commit it to the forum. That's always a good idea when adding a post after returning from a good session at the local. :)

Thanks for that just one question how do you put the hints on it?

Your friends are:

Premium Membership. Costs

GSAK. Costs, but free for 21 days, usable after 21 days but you get a nag screen to pay.

and GSAK Macros. free.

Garmin POI Loader -free

When you have Premium Membership, run a Pocket Query, open in GSAK, run the macro, load to GPSr.

(I actually run it twice, once to load the Geocaches, and again to load the additional waypoints for the hints.)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hello Mootanclan,

First off have you now sorted out the original problem of only appearing to have 50 Geocache Waypoints on your GPS?

Secondly you say :-

also i am trying to get rid of POI such as petrol stations,atms etc using the POI loader from garmin to uninstall them the pc said it had done it but when i check the gps there still there any ideas.

I don't know what POI Loader you have but there is no provision to delete POI on the Garmin POI Loader that I have.

As I understand it the petrol stations, atms etc are in built and part of the system they can't be removed or deleted. Custom POI can be overwritten and indeed are every-time they are sent to the GPS.

Hopefully that's cleared that problem up?

Thirdly, you can't send the hint to the 60CSx as a way-point. The hint can be sent to the GPS via a way-point as I think you now realise.

(It's difficult to sort out what you've added to your quotes above.)

I think you have GSAK, that's the tool to do this trick but not the 60CSxPOI macro for the time being as it's not yet working one hundred percent. When the author Tigerz has it sorted that will then be the one to use as it'll do all sorts of other tricks as well. I've been using a macro by Prospero DK called GarminCsvPoiExport_v2.gsk I think that will do what you're wanting, it can be got from

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...ost&p=74533

(Must find out how to insert links properly)

Have a think on that lot and let us all know how you get on.

Regards

Bernard

Hello Mootanclan,

You'll have to take the premium membership (Ahh, I see you have now,) to get the gpx files. Without premium membership the files you've been getting are loc files which have very limited information in them.

Dispose of everything in GSAK and start again by downloading a fresh PQ. Check that the PQ is a gpx file, off you go.

Good Luck

Bernard

For full instructions on how to load geocaches as POIs on a Garmin 60CSx (including full hint) look HERE. All you need is GSAK and a USB cable for the 60CSX. No extra macros are required and no copying of files needed either. GSAK does it all for you.

Edited to correct link

Edited by Pharisee

May I humbly point out that Pharisee's suggestion is the easiest way but you'll only get the first 88 characters of the hint. To get more and preferably all of the hint you need a macro that will split the longer hints and generate as many as neccessary POI screens. There's one particular cache in Eastern England the hint of which takes up 19 screens, a very very long hint.

Regards

Bernard

PS Mootanclan how's it going, got it sorted yet?

Edited by bcnorwich
May I humbly point out that Pharisee's suggestion is the easiest way but you'll only get the first 88 characters of the hint. To get more and preferably all of the hint you need a macro that will split the longer hints and generate as many as neccessary POI screens. There's one particular cache in Eastern England the hint of which takes up 19 screens, a very very long hint.

Regards

Bernard

PS Mootanclan how's it going, got it sorted yet?

I think I must have been lucky.... All the caches I've done recently must have had short hints. :D I hadn't realised that the hint was truncated at 88 characters using this method. I only use it fairly infrequently as I have the full cache page, including hint, on my PDA but thanks for the info. :P

Which macro is that please?

My own preference (because I find it the easiest to use) is an old macro called GarminCsvPoiExport by Prospero DK. It's no longer available in the macro library but it has been superceeded by GarminCsvPoiExport_v2.gsk this new macro has all the bitmap files included in the download. It does work and you get all the hint and optionally user notes ect. It's here scroll to the bottom of the page :- http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry74533

(Which reminds me I still haven't worked out how to do proper hyper links).

Regards

Bernard

Hi sorry to be a pain but i have just checked and the hints are there but it has only sent over 50 custom poi and i thought that when i run PQ it sends 500 over to gsak which i think it has but when i sent it to my gps via garmin poi on gsak it has only sent 50 any ideas where i am going wrong? Thanks..Ian

i am just wanting to know is there anyway that you can store more than 50 cache's on this unit? I am getting annoyed that you have make space for wherever you are going to next. :laughing:

You can store 500 (1000?) caches as Geocaches or... as many as your storage will allow if you save them as POIs instead.

Theres a mention in this thread

Your unit store 1000's of caches as POI's but only shows 50. Depending on your location it will show a different 50. I have just returned from a holiday abroad where I had the details of over 1500 caches stored.

Hi sorry to be a pain but i have just checked and the hints are there but it has only sent over 50 custom poi and i thought that when i run PQ it sends 500 over to gsak which i think it has but when i sent it to my gps via garmin poi on gsak it has only sent 50 any ideas where i am going wrong? Thanks..Ian

As previously, the unit shows the closest 50 as nearest. Check by cache name.

OR

Have you set the "send waypoints" in the GSAK set-up screen to only send 50 waypoints?