Locationless caches?

swizzle

:blink: I'm not looking to shut down Waymarking. If there's only 200 people using it then that might be 200 in ny not counting all the other states. I do plan on using Waymarking from time to time but mostly for now I'll be adding to it. I'll start by adding my personal favorites to the mix. Trailheads and waterfalls. Swizzle

:blink: I'm not looking to shut down Waymarking. If there's only 200 people using it then that might be 200 in ny not counting all the other states. I do plan on using Waymarking from time to time but mostly for now I'll be adding to it. I'll start by adding my personal favorites to the mix. Trailheads and waterfalls. Swizzle

Regardless of whatever locationless were defined as in the early days of geocaching, they aren't geocaches and won't be listed here. If you like the concept of them, you'll have to use Waymarking.com or some other site.

The "200 people using something" is going to be a very long running joke around here, I think. :mad: In the case of Waymarking, there may actually only be 200 people that visit them. The people who post them, that's a whole 'nuther story.

I think I will. I like the idea of a traveling cache. I think its a cool concept. Is there already locationless caches on Waymarking? If not there will be soon. Hey does Waymarking have the same type of stash note that can be printed out or does one need to be created? Swizzle

Perhaps there is some confusion over the term locationless cache. A locationless caches is something different than a moving or traveling cache.

Moving caches are caches where the finder takes the caches and hides it in new location. The coordinates are then update and next finder can look in the new location.

Locationless caches (also called reverse caches) are do-anywhere caches. You were asked to find an example of something and post the coordinates. Once the item at a particular coordinate was logged it could not be used by someone else to claim a find on this locationless cache.

Moving caches are no longer approved - mainly because there is not a way to enforce guidelines when the cache is moved to a new location. Existing ones were grandfathered. I don't know if they can be adopted, but I suspect that like other grandfather types adoption is not an option.

Locationless caches were all given the opportunity to migrate to Waymarking as Waymarking categories. After a cutoff date all locationless caches were archived. They are not coming back to Geocaching.

Edited by tozainamboku

Well if Waymarking is more flexible then you should be able to create a locationless cache right?!? Well if it is possible then I want to make a bunch of locationless caches using Waymarking and I want a muggle love letter in each one. I might have to use terracaching for a locationless cache though. I was also thinking about making all of my geocaches into waymarks as well. Any waymarker that finds it needs to take a pic of it with themselves holding it. They can't open the box though. LOL. Swizzle

Perhaps there is some confusion over the term locationless cache. A locationless caches is something different than a moving or traveling cache.

Moving caches are caches where the finder takes the caches and hides it in new location. The coordinates are then update and next finder can look in the new location.

Locationless caches (also called reverse caches) are do-anywhere caches. You were asked to find an example of something and post the coordinates. Once the item at a particular coordinate was logged it could not be used by someone else to claim a find on this locationless cache.

Moving caches are no longer approved - mainly because there is not a way to enforce guidelines when the cache is moved to a new location. Existing ones were grandfathered. I don't know if they can be adopted, but I suspect that like other grandfather types adoption is not an option.

Locationless caches were all given the opportunity to migrate to Waymarking as Waymarking categories. After a cutoff date all locationless caches were archived. They are not coming back to Geocaching.

Your right I did get that mixed up. I was thinking that they are one and the same. I was thinking of a traveling cache. The only one I ever found was sodus bay and that was archived once it hit sodus bay. Sorry about the confusion. Would it be wrong to staple Waymarking stash note to all the trees surrounding a particular waymark? :blink: Sorry it still sounds funny in my own head. Swizzle

Well if Waymarking is more flexible then you should be able to create a locationless cache right?!? Well if it is possible then I want to make a bunch of locationless caches using Waymarking and I want a muggle love letter in each one. I might have to use terracaching for a locationless cache though.

Locationless caches do NOT have a physical container...so again, where are you going to put the note? :blink:

If you're talking about a traveling cache, that wouldn't be a waymark and I don't even think you would get that approved on Terracaching...I know if I were your sponsor, I wouldn't approve it.

Good luck!

Well if Waymarking is more flexible then you should be able to create a locationless cache right?!? Well if it is possible then I want to make a bunch of locationless caches using Waymarking and I want a muggle love letter in each one. I might have to use terracaching for a locationless cache though. I was also thinking about making all of my geocaches into waymarks as well. Any waymarker that finds it needs to take a pic of it with themselves holding it. They can't open the box though. LOL. Swizzle

Your questions suggest that it might be best for you to visit the Waymarking website and read guidelines to better understand the concept of that game. It would also be good for you to find and log several waymarks before you attempt to place one.

Ok so I haven't really thought out any of these ideas at all except for the traveling cache, (which probably won't happen), and Waymarking waterfalls and trailheads. I was a bit mixed up about what a locationless cache was. I never did a locationless cache so I just assumed that it was a traveler. My bad, sorry. I will try to find the time to do more research on the Waymarking site before I dream of breathing life into a dinosaur again. No more Project Ape, webcam, locationless, travelers and virtuals on geocaching. Got it. Thanx. Swizzle

Waymarking is what locationless caches were. A locationless cache gave you a subject (eg waterfalls, natural arches, etc). A find on a locationless cache entailed finding an example of the subject and posting the coordinates. That's exactly what Waymarking is.

They truly do belong on another site because this site doesn't have the features needed to properly run that game. Locationless caches had to have meaningless coordinates and irrelevant container sizes assigned to them; there was no way to search to see what subjects existed; there was no way to see where anyone's finds were other than the coordinates written in the logs*. Locationless were different from any other cache type in very significant ways.

* the ability to see where people's waymarks are and visit them is what adds the virtual cache aspect to Waymarking.

By the way, when locationless existed, I logged a couple as notes but not finds. I liked the idea but did not feel they were geocaches, so I refused to claim a smiley for them. Now, I'm at least as avid a waymarker as a geocacher.

Edited by Dinoprophet

<After all, there can't be more than 200 people who regularly use Waymarking.>

I don't think there are many more using Wherigo.....It seems that if they want that stuff to be popular....those links would be closer to the top of the webpage.....not at the very bottom where nobody scrolls to.

The "200 people using something" is going to be a very long running joke around here, I think. :D In the case of Waymarking, there may actually only be 200 people that visit them. The people who post them, that's a whole 'nuther nutter story.

How do they say it, fixed that for you. :)

There are well over 200 people posting Waymarks. They each have about 3,000 posted apiece. However, I believe there are only about 200 people who ever actually visit Waymarks. 199 not including myself. :)

The "200 people using something" is going to be a very long running joke around here, I think. :P In the case of Waymarking, there may actually only be 200 people that visit them. The people who post them, that's a whole 'nuther nutter story.

How do they say it, fixed that for you. :D

There are well over 200 people posting Waymarks. They each have about 3,000 posted apiece. However, I believe there are only about 200 people who ever actually visit Waymarks. 199 not including myself. :)

That's a whole lot of nuts in that nutter story. :)