Acceptable places for a cache - up a tree?

Johnius

Is there a maximum acceptable height for a cache? For example, my desired cache location meets all of the other requirements of location specified in the rules... but I want to put it in my favorite tree, ten or twenty feet up. It's a good tree to climb, so I wanted to share it with others. Is this against any unwritten rule?

I have one up a tree. It's about 17 feet up to it, and as soon as you are ALMOST under it, the ground slopes down. The tree is too small to climb. So it's a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to get to it.

The geocache is GCQCJT - Over the rainbow and has some hidden pictures showing the geocache up in the tree. Find the text that reads:

REMEMBER:

Make the fair trade.

Log your visit.

Leave the site better than you found it.

Protect the environment — always.

Educate those around you.

Find another cache!

Good luck, and may all your cache dreams come true.

—cantuland

and you will notice that each character in "—cantuland" will show you a different picture, left to right on the characters goes from ground, up to the cache.

Is there a maximum acceptable height for a cache? For example, my desired cache location meets all of the other requirements of location specified in the rules... but I want to put it in my favorite tree, ten or twenty feet up. It's a good tree to climb, so I wanted to share it with others. Is this against any unwritten rule?

Always good to post a picture to let me know what they are getting into:

060613-cat-bear_big.jpg

from the cache page:

Climb a Tree, Find Cache - EXTREME!!

Yep, its ok, as long as the finder uses common sense.

I had a 70 year old cacher who was smart and did not go after this one of mine

GC1W9KF

I e-mailed her and offered to go caching with her, to help her sign this one.

So rate appropriately, and cachers please be careful, you do not have to get everyone, cache safe

Edited by coman123

Always good to post a picture to let me know what they are getting into:

060613-cat-bear_big.jpg

from the cache page:

Climb a Tree, Find Cache - EXTREME!!

Man, that is one tough cat.

Jim

It should also, IMHO, be visible from the ground and recognizable as the cache. You don't want the scorched earch cachers climbing up every tree searching.

Found a coule neat ones that were up a tree on a rope. You unhook the rope and lower it down. No climbing necessary. The trick is to properly camo the slack rope at ground level.

The first cache we ever did was up a tree, actually! Another one springs to mind that required cleverness rather than climbing.

I do have to point out one thing though - grand rapids is like 150 miles from Warren. There may not be an unspoken rule against caches in trees, but there is a geocache placement guideline that requires you to be able to do regular maintenance on your caches and respond quickly to reported problems. You might have trouble getting this sort of cache approved.