Check Out My New GeoCoin

DiLMar

Please don't be surprised if you get a very cold reception here. You should be aware that there have been, in recent history, a couple of very ugly experiences with people who have taken money for presales and then not made the coins -- or in which the delivery of said coins was severely delayed because some of the parties involved spent the presale money on stuff unrealated to coins, and this necessitated the raising of money in order to get the coins made. And one vendor, at least, simply disappeared after taking a significant amount of money for people.

Nowadays, pre-sales only work for those with solidly-established reputations. If this is the first time anyone's heard of you, you really simply cannot expect to do a presale in this Forum (might work elsewhere).

Plus, a couple of things to notice:

You're asking $15 per coin. That is an awful lot of money for people to shell out for something that hasn't been made yet. Yes, it's a 2" coin with 3D detail, but what other special features justify that price? Those of us with direct experience with mints -- and there are a few of us here -- have a good idea of how much a mint will charge for such a coin. It isn't $15 per.

The art on your website is your own artwork. The coin is guaranteed not going to come out looking like that, especially on the front side. Do you have mint art?

What about samples -- have you had the dies made and samples cut? You would probably get more sales if you could show an actual photo of an actual coin, rather than asking people to use their imaginations.

Again, please don't be surprised if you get a cold reception here. What would be a far wiser thing to do on your part would be to do reservations (so that you have an idea of how many coins you'll need to buy), buy the coins, and then send people invoices for their orders. Do this for a number of sales to build up your reputation, then you can start thinking about presales.

Good luck. It's a very pretty design. But I await your explanation as to why it's $15 worth of pretty.

Edited to add: I like the other coin design on your site a lot. Lots of jackals on it, definitely a plus in my book. : )

Edited by Jackalgirl

I have to agree with MJ, JG and WWC.... a $15 pre-sale to an unknown entity is too expensive for a geocoin that may or may not be made. Lower your mark-up and you'll sell more interest in this, your first foray in the Geocoin Forums. You can always sell the rest on Ebay once you've got your costs covered.

Edit to add: Oh... and find a few caches in the meantime so your intentions aren't too obvious.

Edited by Droo

:blink: sarcasm... just one more service I provide... :mad:

I'll side with the group on this one...

Having been on the short end of the "pre-sale"(take my money and run) stick, I'll pass on that alone as you have not 'earned your stripes', so to speak with anyone yet... not to mention the $15 pricetag...

good luck on your coin though! B) I might be interested in it after it is produced and is offered at a better price...

Yes, instead of paying $3000 to a person of unknown reputation, you only have to pay $2400. What a bargain!

Once again, sorry for the sarcasm, but after everything I've seen in this Forum, I can't help it. I am, fortunately, /not/ one of the persons who was terribly burned by people who asked for money up front and then stole it. But it's just not good business practice. I see you've gotten some good suggestions, though -- it still boils down to having to have product in hand if your brand spankin' new (and, thusly, having the money to pay for the coins to begin with, since no mint will provide you coins without having the full payment in hand).

Also, once again, the prices are REALLY steep. If they include shipping, make sure that you mention that prominently. You're charging $20 for souvenir coins and although you don't mention the size, coins that have no enamel and simple antique finishes are really inexpensive to make. I realize that you're marking up over the retail price you paid for them, but that is really, really expensive. Please browse around here to get a sense of what the going price is for geocoins if you want to be successful. Your designs are lovely and would sell like hotcakes if you a) had photos of samples, B) had the coins in hand and c) priced them at a market-reasonable rate.

Edited to add: also, since you're going into business as a professional coiner, please have someone check your site for proper English. Example: on your discounts page (which should be titled "Pricing & Discounts", not "Pricings & Discounts"), you say "Our company sets it's own pricing as market forces." This sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever (even with "its" instead of "it's"), and certainly does not explain why your coins are priced so expensively. Perhaps you mean to say "Our company sets is pricing in response to current market forces"? Again, I am not wanting to slam you here or take cheap shots, honestly -- just trying to give you an idea of what will help you be successful (at least here). Even if my sentence is better, you'll need to clarify, because it is not true (unless, perhaps, you're including shipping & handling in the price).

Edited by Jackalgirl

i love the designs, you made,, but agree with the rest, ill be waiting for samples or die art for this. your coin design are great and would sell like hott cakes.

heres my question...

if you own a biz, why cant you afford to have the coins made? i looks like you already have another coin,, are those in stock???

i guess im a lil confused as to if your just a designer or a vendor?

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

one other thing,your here promoting yourself,, but there has been no response after 4 + hrs that tells me your in for the money and maybie not good with communication.. there are alot of questions here to answer. Just my take. i would reply to the questions asap to help your promotions and win some trust.

the vendors that have stolen from this community have also showed those traits. so i dont blame anyone for lack of trust.

just my opinion.

I'm very excited about 20% off if I buy 200 or more at your webstore. Especially since you haven't even made the coins yet!

I'm so excited, I just gave everyone 20% off at The Geocoin Store. If you're not on the newsletter, find someone who is :mad:

I just checked my mail box and no newsletter, so I checked the site and my account, It looks like I'm subscribed as I thought I was. :grin: I would hate to miss 20% off from a reputable dealer (yeah no history and 15USD ! I would choke on the exchange rate and postage, sorry Dilmar) coupled with the fact I was -->.<-- this close to making an order for the jack and some others when I saw this post :blink: Help a guy out Moop B)

I'm very excited about 20% off if I buy 200 or more at your webstore. Especially since you haven't even made the coins yet!

I'm so excited, I just gave everyone 20% off at The Geocoin Store. If you're not on the newsletter, find someone who is :mad:

I just checked my mail box and no newsletter, so I checked the site and my account, It looks like I'm subscribed as I thought I was. :D I would hate to miss 20% off from a reputable dealer (yeah no history and 15USD ! I would choke on the exchange rate and postage, sorry Dilmar) coupled with the fact I was -->.<-- this close to making an order for the jack and some others when I saw this post :blink: Help a guy out Moop B)

hehe The info for the discount over there tis on the main page. :grin:

I agree with others here so won't repeat anything. But I did want to offer some of the things I did before entering the market as I am currently producing my first coin. The first thing I did is heavily research what others charge for both coins, shipping and handling. I found standard coins generally are priced at 8-10-12 ($8 for 1.5", $10 for 1.75", $12 for 2"). Obviously cutting edges, stamping side, using glow, using antiquing, hard enamel, etc adds to the price but the 8-10-12 trick certainly is a good baseline comparison. I also, very quickly, found out that there is no appetite for anyone funding a new artist. I decided to bite the bullet and self-fund. You have to balance the risk of not selling out to the profit gained if you do sell out and come to a good balanced price point. I'll probably fail miserably, but am keeping a positive attitude :blink:

Good luck to you, your art is great.

~Zel

I just checked my mail box and no newsletter, so I checked the site and my account, It looks like I'm subscribed as I thought I was. :D I would hate to miss 20% off from a reputable dealer (yeah no history and 15USD ! I would choke on the exchange rate and postage, sorry Dilmar) coupled with the fact I was -->.<-- this close to making an order for the jack and some others when I saw this post :blink: Help a guy out Moop B)

Yeah, sorry. My newsletter tool faulted out near the end, so not everyone may have gotten it. So I posted it to the news section on the main page. Good eye :D

Yeah, sorry. My newsletter tool faulted out near the end, so not everyone may have gotten it. So I posted it to the news section on the main page. Good eye :D

Darn and I just ordered a coin as a gift too. should have waited. LOL

OT I won't do a presale unless its from a reputable vendor.......Most of them don't do presales :D

Let me know what ya think.

Some very good constructive feedback to take your business forward. :mad: Might be time to uphold your values as mentioned several times throughout your website:

We would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service in the industry.

Standard questions abound:

- Is there a dedicated icon?

- Does the price include postage?

- If not, what are the prices for p&h

- International orders available?

- International postage costs?

- Will more be available after the presale?

- Expected delivery date?

- Refund policy?

...just to name a few.

Though a cynical cacher might believe that there would be no response to this thread as per the others. :blink:

mm

Edited by Map Monkey

Some more advice. If you wish to become a coin vendor, you'll need contact Groundspeak about becoming a Groundspeak approved vendor in order to post your links in these forums.

As per the geocoin forum guidelines pinned at the top of these threads:

Posts made with the intention of soliciting customers to a coin selling, tracking, or manufacturing website will not be tolerated. Links to other commercial coin selling, coin tracking, coin trading and coin manufacturing web sites will be permitted only with permission from Groundspeak. Permission requests may be sent to bizdev (at) Groundspeak.com.

If you plan to sell this coin, you may only link directly to the coin and not to the main page of your storefront. The only exception is if everything on the main page is trackable on geocaching.com.

I took a look at your site, and because you are running a cointest that involves a cash prize, I had to remove your link. Cash prizes are not allowed here. There are laws that regulate that kind of thing, and the laws can change state to state, and country to country, and this is a world wide website.

I put in a direct link for the geocoin.

Edited by Eartha

They haven't even done anything yet, and everyone is already bashing them b/c of the actions of others. Now I know why I've lost interest in these forums.

If it waddles like a duck and squawks like a duck and really has a very strong resemblance to a like a duck .... it ain't no geocoin fairy!!

They haven't even done anything yet, and everyone is already bashing them b/c of the actions of others. Now I know why I've lost interest in these forums.

I am not quite sure why you are unhappy with those who have posted here.

- The OP is completely unknown.

- The price for this coin is high.

- It is a presale.

- They have not followed Groundspeak guidelines.

- They are not geocachers or geocoiners.

- There have been a number of legitimate questions asked and comments made, there has been not a single response to any of them.

Those of us who are vendors have worked hard to develop a reputation and this person can do the same, begining with telling us who they are and a little bit about them.

People are understandably cautious with an unknown entity. They and you should see this as helpful and not hostile.

maybe I should have worded it different and stated

:blink: sarcasm... just one more service WE provide :mad:

I don't feel like anyone has bashed them, just stated in so many words that we've been down this road before and to let any newbs know not to get fooled so easily.

I'm sure the OP has good intentions, but those type of intentions are not exactly welcome from the majority of coiners unless from a reputable vendor.

If they want to follow Groundspeak guidelines, produce the coin and offer it for a fair market price, then I'm sure all this thread would be is...

...cool cool!

...awesome!

...well done!

...thanks!

... can't wait for the next!

ect,ect,ect... and I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks and add it to my collection.

I think Eartha said it best with " ...a coin company that discovered geocoins and thought they'd hop on the bandwagon without doing a little research here first... "

The OP is doing him/her self more harm and no help with damage control by not responding to anyone's questions.

Free priority mail (ie $4.95) shipping on the auction, so that answers one question. The price isn't too bad with free shipping. It is 3D, could be 2" and could be hard enamel. That would justify its price in my book.

Edited by Zelanzy

Free priority mail (ie $4.95) shipping on the auction, so that answers one question. The price isn't too bad with free shipping. It is 3D, could be 2" and could be hard enamel. That would justify its price in my book.

Except, if you think about it...this is a presale. It isn't like you are going to get it in two days. I'd be happy with regular mail.

I still won't buy a pre-sale from somebody I don't know. Add to that, this person hasn't even come back to answer any questions regarding the coin. You say it "could be 2" and could be hard enamel" It also could be 1" LOL

Edited by MustangJoni

Ok . . . I bit! Purchased through Paypal . . . According to Paypal Terms of Shipping it will be shipped within 32-33 days of payment and payment has been made . . . Stay tuned . . .

LOL Paypal dispute has a 45 day limit. I wonder if you will have to use it! I was just waiting to see if ebay would catch it and pull the listing.

I agree that I don't see this as a bashing thread either. He is getting great advice and the fact that he has not come back here to answer any questions says something loud and clear.

I may be reading into it a bit, but it seems that the "P.S." on the eBay auction might have been written in response to us saying, here, "that's too much unless you're including shipping". Which indicates to me that this person is reading the thread, but not responding.

If this is true, DilMar coins, you are really REALLY not going to win customers here. There are LOTS of people who have had very bad experiences with vendors who have engaged in exactly that behaviour -- not communicating with customers (or potential customers).

It's totally okay to have, perhaps, jumped the gun and set things up before your research was done. But you need to admit your error, let us know you're working with Groundspeak, and respond to some of our questions completely and thoroughly if you want to win a solid customer base here.

On a side note. I keep hearing about "MOOP"s store. Where is this and how can I access it.

Moop was recently elected/hired as president of an established geocoin vendour except that it calls itself the *_____store.

*_____ fill in the blank with what you'd expect to find at such a store.

On a side note. I keep hearing about "MOOP"s store. Where is this and how can I access it.

Moop was recently elected/hired as president of an established geocoin vendour except that it calls itself the *_____store.

*_____ fill in the blank with what you'd expect to find at such a store.

I heard he was forced into the job to pay off a massive Texas Hold'em debt!

:)

Ok…,

WOW... I am surprised how active people are in this forum (although there are only a few who keep repeating themselves). Did not expect that at all...

Well, first of all I deeply apologize for not responding any earlier. And of course Second of all, I apologize in advance if I will miss anybodies comment on my reply.

This is so fun… 

Yes, yes I am an outsider here because I’m new here. Your welcoming committee is very warmly, THANK YOU! And yes, compare to some people I have some other things to do in my life too and fortunately I can’t afford to be online 24/7. I have to work to be able to buy food in order not to starve you know? 

Oh, and since I am just an outcast in this forum for now, I can’t really know everything about how it works. I expected to get email for every comment I got for my post. But thanks to LadyBee4T I found out that there were lots of question for me on my first post. So, Yeah thanks LadyBee4T. Appreciate it.

Now let’s start with some answers to some of your questions, shall we?

1. About me not having any experience with geocaching? There is nothing wrong with that I say. I am just starting with this thing and still learning a lot of stuff. I don’t even have my own GPS yet, since I can’t afford it. I don’t really want to buy a cheap stuff, but that’s just my way of doing things. I tried to find a cache without GPS though didn’t work out. LOL Well what do you expect from a newbie?

2. For the Jackelgirl’s cold reception? Don’t worry Jackelgirl I am not surprised at all, instead your comments are helping me a lot and I value that quality (criticism) in you all. And yes I am aware of some experiences that have occurred in here with some good people. But, not every single person or a company is a fake. After all we all go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy every now and then, sometimes even a little gas station which we never heard of. But I would like to hear it from someone who actually was cheated? So far I haven’t seen any of you being fooled from what you commented, well then what are you afraid of? lol

3. “Nowadays, pre-sales only work for those with solidly-established reputations.” Does that mean it’s you and almost everybody else who keeps commenting my post for multiple times? Proving that I am a scam?  But still I appreciate all of the information. It does really help me a lot since I am only starting in here. And yes, from what I have seen it’s just only few of you who keep’s writing pretty much the same thing over and over again. No offense, but don’t you have some other things to do or at least say?

4. “Plus, a couple of things to notice:

You're asking $15 per coin. That is an awful lot of money for people to shell out for something that hasn't been made yet. Yes, it's a 2" coin with 3D detail, but what other special features justify that price? Those of us with direct experience with mints -- and there are a few of us here -- have a good idea of how much a mint will charge for such a coin. It isn't $15 per.”

Well, I perfectly understand your feeling about being so irritated about my price of $15 per coin – but then isn’t this what we all do? Always complain about the price? LOL

Sure I will not be able to sell a lot of coins with that price but hey I don’t expect to. After all that’s what the presales are for. To presale a little before the production with a little bit higher price in order to be able to sell the same coins for a lot lower price when they are actually produced.

5. Everybody keeps saying they don’t know what to expect from my coins? Well, what is so hard about it? A) You saw the picture? :) You know the size? C) You know the price? D) You know the quality? E) You know what colors it comes with? What else to know about? Yes, you say that I don’t have an actual coin picture. I agree! But don’t you think? That if I had an actual picture of the coin that would kind of mean that I already have the coin? Why would I do the Presale for it then? I would have loved to sell my coin without doing a presale if I had enough money. And Why I don’t use my own money for the production? Well it’s just that simple “I am not Rich Yet” LOL. And Jackelgirl I would love to learn more about the reservation idea you have been talking about. Please, send me more info on that if you don’t mind. 

6. But here is the best part. The reason my coin is $15 is because I want to sell only a limited amount of Celtic Treasure coins to help me start my production and then once I have started it. It will allow me to sell it even lower then a market price, which would give me an opportunity to make everybody happy.

Plus it comes with free shipping but only in the US. For International shipping has to contact me since its a bit expensive then domestic. And if anybody thinks that $15 is too high to pay for a geocoin which will give you the opportunity of being the first few to have it? Then you shouldn’t be even looking at it. LOL Most of you say you have been in Presale for a while but you still don’t understand what actually it means. You rather rip of others who have no clue what it is. I on the other hand am trying to presale very few in order to have the rest for very reasonable price, affordable for everybody. Thank You!

7. About not knowing who you buying from? Well tell me that – How many times have you know somebody online when you bought stuff? Yeah, probably NONE unless you are buying something from your relatives. Oh, and yes since, you keep complaining about the price being high for $15, well you have to understand that this is not for RESELLERS. And if u are a RESELLER then you should contact me directly to discuss it. 

8. Take your money and Run, eeeyy? Well every payment is being done through PayPal and you can always get your money back if something goes wrong. Plus I do provide money back within 7 days after you receive the coin and if you’re not happy with it. Which I doubt. Cuz you’ll love it. LOL

9. And those who keep making fun of 20% DISCOUNT on my website. Well SORRY Felas that doesn’t apply to you.

10. “Yes, instead of paying $3000 to a person of unknown reputation, you only have to pay $2400. What a bargain!” Again that doesn’t apply to you. LOL

11. “and, thusly, having the money to pay for the coins to begin with, since no mint will provide you coins without having the full payment in hand” – I think that’s why I am doing a Presale! Hello???

12. “You're charging $20 for souvenir coins and although you don't mention the size, coins that have no enamel and simple antique finishes are really inexpensive to make.” Also, doesn’t apply to you. Sorry!

13. “Your designs are lovely and would sell like hotcakes if you a) had photos of samples, :) had the coins in hand and c) priced them at a market-reasonable rate.” – I am trying to get to that point and Once again THAT’S WHY I AM DOING A PRESALE LOL

14. "Our company sets its own pricing as market forces." I love your comments, although it’s just my style can’t help it. LOL “Sentence makes no sense whatsoever” - but you still got the idea! lol 

15. Standard questions abound:

- Is there a dedicated icon? - Yes

- Does the price include postage? - Yes

- If not, what are the prices for postage & handling - None

- International orders available? - Yes

- International postage costs? – Contact please

- Will more be available after the presale? - Yes

- Expected delivery date? From one to three months

- Refund policy? – Refund within seven days after the coin is received by the buyer if the terms are not met. Buyer responsible for shipping costs at that time.

...just to name a few.

I guess this is pretty much it for now. I will surely get back in here whenever I can though. LOL

But Really I apreciate all of your comments. Thank you!

I think this is a coin company that discovered geocoins and thought they'd hop on the bandwagon without doing a little research here first. They sell other types of coins, for other occasions too.

I am not a coin company yet, but this is actually a good idea and I will defiantly be working on achieving that goal. Thanks!

I think this is a coin company that discovered geocoins and thought they'd hop on the bandwagon without doing a little research here first. They sell other types of coins, for other occasions too.

I am not a coin company yet....(snip)

Why do you present yourself as that then?

I took a look at your site, and because you are running a cointest that involves a cash prize, I had to remove your link. Cash prizes are not allowed here. There are laws that regulate that kind of thing, and the laws can change state to state, and country to country, and this is a world wide website.

I put in a direct link for the geocoin.

First of all, thanks to let me know that cash prizes are not allowed in here, which I wasn't even trying to do. On my site it was just an information board not an actual contest. If you have read everything carefully it would have no dates or any information about applying for the contest. But, to make sure your efforts were not for nothing I will try to take the cash prize amount off of my website. LOL

Thanks Again!

Since you seem to hung up on the same people posting I'll give it a go. I'm very new here have only been into coins for about 2 months. It's obvious you didn't read through the sticky posts on trade and vendor issues or you would know the horror stories people reference.

Your coin looks great but even as a newbie I wonder what the mint's version of a makable coin will look like.

I've pre-ordered with payment and I've pre-ordered on reservation where money is paid when coin is shipped. The paid in advance only go to large established businesses that I see very active in the community including donating and sponsoring events, even taking part in them.

Your logic is very wrong about a pre-sale. I would not expect the same coin I pre-ordered to be sold for less latter. I'd expect it to ether be sold-out and never minted again or sold for more after the pre-sale.

If you can't afford the grand to two grand for the coin then look into the big coin producers many of them will take on the financial burden of creating a good design and give you several for your own use including an AE version that only goes to you.

You'll not get a lot of people here to jump on your pre-sale especially with the attitude you've displayed in your response. If you read through any of the new coin, new designer threads you'll see that it can take a lot longer to get your first coin out than 3 months. Several people took a year.