Do you say found it or ......

I am from the GONIL (Geocachers of Northern Illinois). If we are caching in groups of 2 or more and there are muggles nearby, instead of shouting 'Found It' upon sighting the cache we tend to vocalize 'Hootie'. The theory is that it won't alert the muggles to look for the cache. My question: we say 'Hootie' - what other words/phrases are used?

For some reason, "woot" has received much usage around here, although I avoid it as I try to avoid most cliches (eg: like the plague :D )

Depends on who I'm caching with. With some, I'll move away pretending to still be looking, before sitting down and looking smug. With other friends, I'll just say, "Got it!" and we sign and move along.

More important, IMO, is what do you say when you DNf? :P

Wasnt this topic raised earlier in another thread

All topics were raised earlier in a previous thread. If you ever find the first mention of a topic, there is a good chance that you will fall into a rift in the space/time continuum and never be heard from again. (Which is why it is important to either have your GPS with you at all times or to have your own desert fortress with a space/time stabilizer and list of previous threads like Kit Fox.)

My beloved and I don't cache in groups and don't have a code phrase. So our cache finding dialogue goes something like this:

A: "Is that.."

B: "The cache?"

A: "No, wait it must be.."

B: "No, no it's..."

A: "There?"

B: "You think?"

A: "Do you see it?"

B: "No. Wait! Yes"

A: "Is it wet?"

A and B are interchangeable.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

I am from the GONIL (Geocachers of Northern Illinois). If we are caching in groups of 2 or more and there are muggles nearby, instead of shouting 'Found It' upon sighting the cache we tend to vocalize 'Hootie'. The theory is that it won't alert the muggles to look for the cache. My question: we say 'Hootie' - what other words/phrases are used?

i usually dont say anything, i just start a victory dance

Isn't that wild, my husband and I say "Hootie", also. :cool:

More important, IMO, is what do you say when you DNf?

"I'm not having fun anymore."

Perhaps this is fodder for a whole 'nuther thread :cool:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I say too. Or "This stopped being fun five minutes ago"

Quite often I say "ah forget it, I give up", and that's when I find it. The funny thing is, it doesn't work when I really haven't given up, only when I really do. Time and time again......