Garmin chipset type M and M2 updates

allory

No idea what it does, but for the brave of heart:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3733

GPS Chipset Type M software version 2.90 as of August 6, 2009

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3735

GPS Chipset Type M2 (Region File) software version 2.90 as of August 6, 2009

It does update the chipset on my Vista HCx.

Edited by allory

This is chipset firmware. Chipset firmware is what actually drives the receiver hardware. It sits "below" the application firmware that drives the user interface. Not sure what units this applies to. I am pretty sure that my early serial number Colorado 400t is type M. Will probably get this when I next use web updater on my unit...

Webupdater won't download it for you unless it does apply to your unit.

Edited by twolpert

It will be interesting to see if it is better or worse. Maybe the "drift" will be a thing of the past....

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=259

# MTK v1 - MTK3318 (type M/M2)

1. Handheld : eTrex Hcx series (Vista, Legend, etc...), Colorado

2. nüvi 2x0 : some nüvi 200/250 models

3. nüvi 260 : all models (?)

4. nüvi 7x0 : some (all?) models starting summer of 2008, see details

5. nüvi 7x5 : all models

6. nüvi 8x0 : all models

It will be interesting to see if it is better or worse. Maybe the "drift" will be a thing of the past....

I installed chipset 2.9 along with firmware 3.0 - they came about about the same time - on my Vista HCx and reverted to firmware 2.8 with chipset 2.50. I have yet to experience "drift" with that configuration and what appear to be the best track logs, when plotted on a topo map.

Edited by jmundinger

I installed chipset 2.9 along with firmware 3.0 - they came about about the same time - on my Vista HCx and reverted to firmware 2.8 with chipset 2.50. I have yet to experience "drift" with that configuration and what appear to be the best track logs, when plotted on a topo map.

I'm running chipset v2.8, little drift until the batteries get to one bar, then lots of drift. Possible I missed the low-bat warning beep. That's one weak noise maker.

Version-2.9.gif

I got a replacement Colorado from Garmin last week with 2.90/2.90 on it. I had a big drift (over 800ft) on my first proper test in woodland, so I wouldn't bank on this update fixing the drift problem.

Bummer.

As I run a trail mapping project, it can really mess up a hike when this happens for me. Fortunately, when plugging into an external antenna in the truck, it has never happened. I might start using an external when hiking to see if it can be stopped that way as well.

Sirf really seems to be the only one to have figured out the calculations properly. Are you listening Garmin????

Had this firmware on my Colorado for a few days and I'm very impressed with the speed of acquisition with Hotfix. Now when I turn it on it will lock on immediatley after startup.

Agreed, even after my colorado has been turned off for 30 hours or more, I get a lock within seconds of powering up.

Had this firmware on my Colorado for a few days and I'm very impressed with the speed of acquisition with Hotfix. Now when I turn it on it will lock on immediatley after startup.

Agreed, even after my colorado has been turned off for 30 hours or more, I get a lock within seconds of powering up.

Went onto the garmin site to find out more about Hotfix. Seems it will predict the location of the satelites for 3 days since the last time it had an acquisition and will take longer(pre Hotfix)after that.