Question about the 528 foot rule

Douce Us 5

Go to the "Hide & Seek" page, enter the lat / Lon of the location of your planned hide.........this will give all the caches in a given radius and the distance to your spot.....

Ye Gods.. the font!

Anyway, that's mostly accurate, and there's no easy way to do any better. You won't have the finals for puzzles and multistages, and you won't see intermediate stages of a multistage (those that include a physical clue you have to find).

Your only other option is either to solve / find all the multistage and puzzles, or ask your local reviewer.

By the way, if there is a tool that will draw a 0.1 mile circle around each cache and shade it a certain color, it would be most helpful. Anyone?

By the way, if there is a tool that will draw a 0.1 mile circle around each cache and shade it a certain color, it would be most helpful. Anyone?

You can easily achieve that with Mapsource for multiple waypoints at the same time, otherwise you'll have to use Google Earth (the KML Circle Generator), but you'll have to do it for each and every waypoint.

Please note both tools will draw a circle, but not make any shades. Maybe it would be possible to tweak the KML thing, but I'm not sure.

Edited by cron

I'm looking to hide my first cache, what do you use to be able to tell if a cache you want to place is far enough away from another cache? Is there a way to see that on the Geocaching site? Is there a good map site?

Thanks in advance.

I run a pocket query for the area I am planning on placing in, load it into my gps, and head out into the field. When I find a good spot, I check the gps for the nearest caches, if there is nothing too close, I hide my container and mark it. I always double check online before I submit, using methods already mentioned. As stated earlier this method won't help with multi's and puzzles either. The more caches you do in your area the easier you will be able to avoid those.

I was about to post a question regarding this rule, but I might as well use this thread to do so.

I have my sights set on a spot for a cache which is about 500 feet away from another cache nearby. Yes, it's too close to the other cache. However, there is a body of water between my chosen spot and the other cache and a person will have to walk about a half mile around the body of water to get to the other cache from my chosen spot, therefore making the actual distance from my chosen spot longer than 500 feet.

I'm debating placing a cache there, but will not waste time doing so if it still falls under the 528 foot rule.

I was about to post a question regarding this rule, but I might as well use this thread to do so.

I have my sights set on a spot for a cache which is about 500 feet away from another cache nearby. Yes, it's too close to the other cache. However, there is a body of water between my chosen spot and the other cache and a person will have to walk about a half mile around the body of water to get to the other cache from my chosen spot, therefore making the actual distance from my chosen spot longer than 500 feet.

I'm debating placing a cache there, but will not waste time doing so if it still falls under the 528 foot rule.

Asking here is pointless. All you'll get are opinions. That and $5 will get you a footlong at Subway. You need to email your local reviewer with your approximate coordinates, and see what he or she says.

You can easily achieve that with Mapsource for multiple waypoints at the same time, otherwise you'll have to use Google Earth (the KML Circle Generator), but you'll have to do it for each and every waypoint.

Please note both tools will draw a circle, but not make any shades. Maybe it would be possible to tweak the KML thing, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info, I'll experiment with that.

In addition to the suggestions above to explain the situation to your reviewer, it's also helpful to send pictures and/or aerial photos showing the location and the obstacles.

You need to email your local reviewer with your approximate coordinates, and see what he or she says.

Don't forget to explain the special circumstances (body of water) as well. The cache saturation rule is not carved in stone and each reviewer has the freedom to waive it as they see fit.

Photos can also help. Add a few photos of the area of the other cache shot from your potential location. If you can give the exact distance of the walk between the caches that will be helpful. The more information you can provide the reviewer the better for you.

BUMP

Anyone know of a tool to draw circles around caches?

BUMP

Anyone know of a tool to draw circles around caches?

mapsource or GSAK macros.

I too am curious about drawing circles with Mapsource. I have been able to do proximity circles in Magellan Vantage Point Software but never in Garmin Mapsource. If this can be done could someone give a quick How To or point us in the right direction? A Google Earth solution would also work.

The KML Circle Generator works but there must be a easier way for multiple points using mapsource, or so I would think.

The help is appreciated!

I'm a very visual kind of person, so if you can show me on a map that's the ticket. I will use Google Earth if I'm trying to figure out if a potential cache site will be too close to an existing one. In cases where I want to sneak one inside a cluster, I use something like MapWindow or qGIS to create 528' buffer around the existing caches in a cluster and then I can see where the gaps are. I'm not advocating cache saturation, just sayin'!