Why We Place Caches

Tequila

It is a great log to read. I wish there were more great logs like that instead of the stupid "TFTC" ones.

But I am a little concerned about the children petting wild animals... unless they were tamed. I see the cache is in the the Toronto Metro Zoo area so are they tamed?

They are not tame to the best of my knowledge. But they have learned how to work a crowd. They are always there. Petting them is not wise. However, given this little girl's wish, maybe Someone was watching over her.

It is a great log to read. I wish there were more great logs like that instead of the stupid "TFTC" ones.

But I am a little concerned about the children petting wild animals... unless they were tamed. I see the cache is in the the Toronto Metro Zoo area so are they tamed?

They are not tame to the best of my knowledge. But they have learned how to work a crowd. They are always there. Petting them is not wise. However, given this little girl's wish, maybe Someone was watching over her.

Thanks for the reply Tequila. And I agree that the little girl's wish being granted is a wonderful thing... and would never begrudge her that... I just hope that she understands that not all wild animals will allow that kind of affection so that she does not get hurt in the future.

I still think it is a wonderful post though!!!

Approaching wild animals should be done with a great deal of caution. There is a reason why they are called wild. They can turn with out warning and may carry very dangerous diseases. They should be left alone to do what they normally do. Even approaching animals like dear until they run away is not good for the animals as they are now burning energy they did not need to and must now work to replace it.

While visiting a cache in the states last week, the wife and kids got an amazing treat to watch two young dear grazing about 30 feet from the car. We stayed in the car to mask our form and took video for a while until the deer wondered off.

Quote from Shanka's log....

Thank the many of you who have written emails to me. I will respond to all of you as I can. I am so happy that this story made so many of you happy. You letters have been such a blessing to us.

It's really nice to see that fellow geocachers send her complementary emails.

I really think everyone knows they're not supposed to approach wild animals.

This happened to be an extraordinary event, and I'm sure the cacher used her smarts and instincts to decide if anyone should pat the raccoons.

If she was driving a bunch of kids from Kingston, I'm going to guess she's a adult. :blink:

I have been caching for over 8 years, and in that time, there have been some tremendous logs posted on my caches. I take great pride in the fact that my caches do not get "Nice Hide TFTC"

But the following log placed on my earthcache has to be one of the best logs on any cache I have seen in 9 years.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b4-ea648889ffbd

Very nicely written log. We had a similar experience a couple of years ago:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...61-0ee9df4f7b6a

Nice Stories! Don't think I would ever pet one myself, but maybe i am just nuts that way..

as an aside - If you see this Racoon let the city know. They want to test her for disease, and if he is clean, release her :cool: If you run into her, don't worry - Experts at the University of Guelph clearly state "She doesn't appear to have any magical powers."

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/675053

Edited by Juicepig

I would respectfully ask that we keep to the original topic of a well written log and a great story.

Thank you.

Would it be okay to post other great logs that we have received on our caches?

I had one just a couple of days ago. It was not a heart tugging one like yours but it made me smile thinking how the little boys would have felt...

I am going to assume you don't mind and post the link... if you mind, my apologies.

Hawk's Cliff "rescue"

I think posting other wonderful logs is a FABULOUS IDEA!!!!

As you posted earlier, no one likes TFTC on their logs. Especially if they have put some effort into the cache. LPC's excluded, for the most part.

If you, or anyone else, posting another fabulous log, acts as an incentive for one cacher to start writing great logs, then this forum will have served two great purposes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

T

It was a very beautiful log. I'm so glad the little girl had her wishes come true. I did this cache a few months ago and also met the racoons. I also posted pictures of them. I was really touched by the story.

Thanks for sharing. We as a community (Geocaching) in itself, Should be very proud to make a little girl's dreams come true.

It was a very beautiful log. I'm so glad the little girl had her wishes come true. I did this cache a few months ago and also met the racoons. I also posted pictures of them. I was really touched by the story.

Thanks for sharing. We as a community (Geocaching) in itself, Should be very proud to make a little girl's dreams come true.

Thank you for sharing Crystal. The raccoons were there when I "placed" the cache. I think they have the area staked out.

Your last comment is very true. There are a lot of good people in geocaching.

I have not been fortunate enough to find a cache by Tequila but I have no doubt that he places caches that I would consider being very enjoyable. I also think that caches that are placed for others to enjoy finding are the best. Long ago I read a statement by sbell111 that I took to heart.

Place caches that you would enjoy finding

While I have found some that were not as enjoyable as I would like, often it is my own fault for not being more selective. As to why I place caches, sometimes it is to challenge myself or to see if my creation is fun for others. Rarely do I care how many people find it. One of my caches only had 11 logs, and they mean a lot to me because those people wanted that experience. My reward is hearing that people enjoyed what I placed, and when I enjoy someone else's cache I certainly write a much longer log about it.

There is nothing wrong with numbers and many people enjoy that aspect of the game. I am in no position to judge how anyone enjoys this activity. I just always hope that I get logs like the one Tequila did, because that means the cache was memorable.

:rolleyes: BQ

Just had a touching log entry posted, on the very first cache I ever placed.

I placed a multi near the Tillsonburg retirement community that my mother lives in, back in 2005. Reading this person's log entry brought me right back to the day I placed it (but not for the same reasons), and reminds me how caching is very much about family. You don't read logs like this one by GPS Derek every day:

Here's the log entry

Just had a touching log entry posted, on the very first cache I ever placed.

I placed a multi near the Tillsonburg retirement community that my mother lives in, back in 2005. Reading this person's log entry brought me right back to the day I placed it (but not for the same reasons), and reminds me how caching is very much about family. You don't read logs like this one by GPS Derek every day:

Here's the log entry

Another touching post. Really nice to see cachers sharing their motivation and thoughts in their logs.

Thanks for sharing.

I have been caching for over 8 years, and in that time, there have been some tremendous logs posted on my caches. I take great pride in the fact that my caches do not get "Nice Hide TFTC"

But the following log placed on my earthcache has to be one of the best logs on any cache I have seen in 9 years.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b4-ea648889ffbd

That is a great story... thank you for sharing it with everyone.

I know for me personally the caches I have placed are in really unique areas that are often "off the beaten path." That is what I really enjoy about geocaching is the ability to discover new areas that you never knew about.

In a similar vein, I have enjoyed many such responses to my "Hope Stones" cache (currently archived - soon to be restocked). Here is one such log: Hope. In this case, as well as many others, I receive more detailed personal e-mails from the cacher, showing just how deeply they were moved by the experience. It is always an honour and a joy to receive them.

As The Blue Quasar mentioned, this kind of joy is not limited to such clearly moving health-related stories, but often how moved people were at the entire caching experience. One of my greatest joys, even though I haven't cached much recently, is reading the on-going logs of sheer caching pleasure in my Bruce Almighty series, as well as my drumlin cache. More often than not, these caches seem to generate thoughtful and heart-warming logs. As the "owner", I am often moved and humbled in reading the stories and the gratitude. My personal thanks to all of you for sharing your joyful experiences.

In a similar vein, I have enjoyed many such responses to my "Hope Stones" cache (currently archived - soon to be restocked). Here is one such log: Hope. In this case, as well as many others, I receive more detailed personal e-mails from the cacher, showing just how deeply they were moved by the experience. It is always an honour and a joy to receive them.

As The Blue Quasar mentioned, this kind of joy is not limited to such clearly moving health-related stories, but often how moved people were at the entire caching experience. One of my greatest joys, even though I haven't cached much recently, is reading the on-going logs of sheer caching pleasure in my Bruce Almighty series, as well as my drumlin cache. More often than not, these caches seem to generate thoughtful and heart-warming logs. As the "owner", I am often moved and humbled in reading the stories and the gratitude. My personal thanks to all of you for sharing your joyful experiences.

What a great concept for a cache. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it and integrate it into my Native American themed series.

This is the best log that I have seen in a long time and to me this is what caching is all about. Getting out with someone you love, and taking your time to enjoy your surroundings. Reading that log almost makes me feel that I am right there with them enjoying nature. I have never met or talked with the people who wrote that log, but I would hope that I would have the pleasure of meeting them one day. It has been a few months since I have been to that area, a place I thought I knew very well. That cache is on the very top of my to find list next time I go there and I plan on enjoying the area with my wife and kids and I might even invite some friends along.

>>>Log<<<

Edited by res2100

This is the best log that I have seen in a long time and to me this is what caching is all about. Getting out with someone you love, and taking your time to enjoy your surroundings. Reading that log almost makes me feel that I am right there with them enjoying nature. I have never met or talked with the people who wrote that log, but I would hope that I would have the pleasure of meeting them one day. It has been a few months since I have been to that area, a place I thought I knew very well. That cache is on the very top of my to find list next time I go there and I plan on enjoying the area with my wife and kids and I might even invite some friends along.

>>>Log<<<

I agree. Geocaching has shown me so many beautiful and amazing places I would have not gone to otherwise.

Edited by Keith Watson