Mt Pillchuck rescue

EraSeek

Guy had a GPS. Anyone we know?

"Snohomish County sheriff’s search-and-rescue crews were busy Tuesday night coming to the aid of an injured hiker and lost rafters near Granite Falls.

The first call came in about 8:15 p.m. A hiker on Mount Pilchuck had broken his leg and needed assistance off the mountain, sheriff’s Lt. Rodney Rochon said. The sheriff’s helicopter crew left Gold Bar, where Snohawk 10, the sheriff’s search-and-rescue helicopter, was on display for National Night Out Against Crime.

They located the man about a quarter mile from the tower on Mount Pilchuck.

A rescue technician and a flight medic were lowered down to the 39-year-old Everett man. They stabilized the man’s broken leg and then hoisted him up to the helicopter. He was flown to Taylor’s Landing in Snohomish, and paramedics transported him to a local hospital.

The rescue was successful in part because the victim remained calm and was able to provide the helicopter crew with GPS coordinates, helping them pinpoint his location before nightfall, Rochon said.

"

Don't know about that one, but this report intrigued me today - tough old guy, and what a good samaritan rescuer!

Hiker on PCT falls 200 feet, awaits help 10 hours

A man in his 70s was injured when he fell nearly 200 feet off a trail Tuesday morning near North Bend and lay there for 10 hours before he could be rescued.

The man, 73, from Santa Cruz, Calif., fell from the Pacific Crest Trail around 10 a.m. He suffered several broken bones and injuries to his head, hands, legs and spine.

Another hiker heard the man screaming for help around 8 p.m., called 911 and lit a small fire so medics could find the man near a remote part of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area.

The Snoqualmie Fire Department found the man and treated him on the scene. He was flown to Harborview by the King County Sheriff Department's Guardian One helicopter shortly after midnight.

At about 2 a.m. Wednesday, the other rescuers, including the hiker who made the initial phone call, were flown by helicopter from the area to Interstate 90 near Snoqualmie Pass, according to the King County Sheriff's office.

Well he is one lucky old man. A 200 ft. fall for a 73 yr. old man is like a 400 ft. fall for some in their 20's and 30's. I'm glad that he was luckily discovered when he was and that he was "with it" enough to be able to call for help. This could have turned out alot worse and on the national news if it were not for the other hiker discovering him. Awesome job to the Sheriffs Dept. as well.

"Snohomish County sheriff’s search-and-rescue crews were busy Tuesday night coming to the aid of an injured hiker and lost rafters near Granite Falls.

The first call came in about 8:15 p.m. A hiker on Mount Pilchuck had broken his leg and needed assistance off the mountain, sheriff’s Lt. Rodney Rochon said. The sheriff’s helicopter crew left Gold Bar, where Snohawk 10, the sheriff’s search-and-rescue helicopter, was on display for National Night Out Against Crime.

A rescue technician and a flight medic were lowered down to the 39-year-old Everett man. They stabilized the man’s broken leg and then hoisted him up to the helicopter. He was flown to Taylor’s Landing in Snohomish, and paramedics transported him to a local hospital.

The rescue was successful in part because the victim remained calm and was able to provide the helicopter crew with GPS coordinates, helping them pinpoint his location before nightfall, Rochon said.

"

I'll tell you what... in 2003 before I got into Geoccahing my wife and I along with my 3 month old son got stuck in a snow drift in our 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee South East of Roseburg, Oregon. We were not prepared for this at all and were just out exploring the backroads. We had no food or water with us and luckily my wife was breast feeding so my son never had an empty stomach. After 9 hours of digging out with sandals and a CD case, my wife finally talked me into dialing 911. Problem is, is that reception was spotty at best. After hiking a couple miles down the road I was able to get a bar of reception and made the call. I did my best to explain where we were at and the route that we had taken and after a few more hours the S&R team showed up about 0130 in the morning and were able to get us out. I felt bad having the volunteers come out so late to find us, but relieved that we were safe.

We got home to Springfield and went to bed. The next morning I woke up to phone call after phone call from friends and family asking what had happened. Apparently it had made the news, radio and newspapers very quickly. Once I was up I realized that I lost a set of keys up there in the hills and talked a friend of mine (4XFINDS) into driving the hour and a half trip back there to help search for my keys. When we got there, there was an older gentleman stuck in the same exact spot. He had gotten into a fight with his wife that night and decided to go for a drive. When we showed up there was a case of empty beer cans strwen all over and he had been there since 3 in the morning. So we hooked up to him and pulled him out. He also had my set of keys that he found in the snow.

So long lesson learned in a hard way. I will always go prepared.

We made the dri

"

I'll tell you what... in 2003 before I got into Geoccahing my wife and I along with my 3 month old son got stuck in a snow drift in our 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee South East of Roseburg, Oregon. We were not prepared for this at all and were just out exploring the backroads. We had no food or water with us and luckily my wife was breast feeding so my son never had an empty stomach. After 9 hours of digging out with sandals and a CD case, my wife finally talked me into dialing 911. Problem is, is that reception was spotty at best. After hiking a couple miles down the road I was able to get a bar of reception and made the call. I did my best to explain where we were at and the route that we had taken and after a few more hours the S&R team showed up about 0130 in the morning and were able to get us out. I felt bad having the volunteers come out so late to find us, but relieved that we were safe.

We got home to Springfield and went to bed. The next morning I woke up to phone call after phone call from friends and family asking what had happened. Apparently it had made the news, radio and newspapers very quickly. Once I was up I realized that I lost a set of keys up there in the hills and talked a friend of mine (4XFINDS) into driving the hour and a half trip back there to help search for my keys. When we got there, there was an older gentleman stuck in the same exact spot. He had gotten into a fight with his wife that night and decided to go for a drive. When we showed up there was a case of empty beer cans strwen all over and he had been there since 3 in the morning. So we hooked up to him and pulled him out. He also had my set of keys that he found in the snow.

So long lesson learned in a hard way. I will always go prepared.

We made the dri

I remember hearing about your plight on the news. Glad to see you're still around and kicking. :D

Don't know about that one, but this report intrigued me today - tough old guy, and what a good samaritan rescuer!

A man in his 70s was injured when he fell nearly 200 feet off a trail Tuesday morning near North Bend and lay there for 10 hours before he could be rescued.

The man, 73, from Santa Cruz, Calif., fell from the Pacific Crest Trail around 10 a.m. He suffered several broken bones and injuries to his head, hands, legs and spine.

Another hiker heard the man screaming for help around 8 p.m., called 911 and lit a small fire so medics could find the man near a remote part of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area.

The Snoqualmie Fire Department found the man and treated him on the scene. He was flown to Harborview by the King County Sheriff Department's Guardian One helicopter shortly after midnight.

At about 2 a.m. Wednesday, the other rescuers, including the hiker who made the initial phone call, were flown by helicopter from the area to Interstate 90 near Snoqualmie Pass, according to the King County Sheriff's office.

The Blog of the good samaritan rescuer that found him

The Blog of the good samaritan rescuer that found him

Great link, thanks for finding that! Now I know why that noisy helicopter was flying over my house in the middle of the night - refueling at Boeing Field as part of the rescue effort.

Howdy Folks,

I'm the trail runner who found Jim Tuesday evening. I was using a GARMIN Edge 205 to track my progress and record my trip because I'm currently trying to raise money for the Washington Trails Association's 2009 Hike-a-Thon. It proved super handy to nail down my location and let the SAR team know where we could be found. Several of the sheriffs commented on this when they finially got me off the mountain and debriefed me back in one of the vans.

:mad:B) Shameless Product Plug Here :grin::D

Let me say that GARMIN makes an excellent product. Thier devices are accurate in a lot of conditions (under trees and running amoung the Cascade peaks) and although mine is kind of old I still get reliable service from it. My track logs are published using their new Connect service.

If any of you are out on the east side of the Cascades we've planted a couple of caches. We look forward to seeing you log these. Be careful out there :blink:

Edited by PastaPowered

Ooops, I just realized that this thread was concerned with the rescue effort on Mount Pillchuck. I think that was another effort that went on slightly before the one I was involved in. We were up along the PCT-N (#2000).

The KMZ is here in case you're interested.

Actually, we were discussing both, so no worries. It's my fault for mentioning the PCT rescue after EraSeek started this thread talking about the Mt Pilchuck incident.