How do i 'dip' a Travelbug?

But, please, when you "dip" the TB/car there is no reason to add it to your log that we all see. That won't help keep track of miles and it does get old reading "I dipped my personal coin/TB"

Oh, I thought you had to put in some kind of comment whenever you did a log, maybe I should go delete all those posts on my personal TB.

Does it sound any better if you take my somewhat less than serious post out of the mix?

Basically some users have a personal TB that they log into and out of every cache they visit. Keeps track of the millage spent caching. Even if it is far from accurate.

What about retroactively dipping a bug/coin on the caches that I've done just to have a mileage narrative of where i've been geocaching? I worry especially about my home area where there is an email list with all the caches locally watchlisted and would log every stupid log (which I would subsequently delete). I want to do this but I don't want to have 100 or so additions to the mailing list. Is there a way to retroactively dip a TB into found logs?

Is there a way to retroactively dip a TB into found logs?

No, not at present. This is one of the most frequently requested features for the web site.

Who runs the gateway mailing list? Perhaps you can have them filter out your note logs for the time it takes to do this.

Edward

No, not at present. This is one of the most frequently requested features for the web site.

Who runs the gateway mailing list? Perhaps you can have them filter out your note logs for the time it takes to do this.

Edward

Thanks for the response :D I am actually not at all sure who runs it... I just sorta signed up for it in a fit of internet randomness. Quite odd on my part but that's a great suggestion to find out who runs it and ask for a filter for a day or two. Awesome idea and thanks again :P

Sure there is, I did it. I went back through my finds, and did a note on the date of my original find, then left the bug in the cache and pulled it out right afterward, so my map shows all my finds in the order I found hem and with the correct dates. I guess it's not dipping on the same log as the original find, but it keeps the dates the same.

Sure there is, I did it. I went back through my finds, and did a note on the date of my original find, then left the bug in the cache and pulled it out right afterward, so my map shows all my finds in the order I found hem and with the correct dates. I guess it's not dipping on the same log as the original find, but it keeps the dates the same.

thats exactly what i did. if you do it this way be careful, if your dates get out of order it will mess your mileage up drastically. i did this after quite a few logs and had to start all the way over since the note was attached to an action.

Does it sound any better if you take my somewhat less than serious post out of the mix?

Basically some users have a personal TB that they log into and out of every cache they visit. Keeps track of the millage spent caching. Even if it is far from accurate.

lol - I knew your post about dunking it in a bucket was facetious, but the part that sounded weird was that they would walk up to a cache, put their TB in the container and then pull it right back out? Is there really any significance to physically placing the TB in the cache container only to remove it a few seconds later? Is it just a physical manifestation of a symbolic gesture?

I can't say with any certainty but I am fairly confident that noone is actual, physically, dipping their coin or tb in every cache they visit. I certainly hope the OP isn't. What with his TB being a car and all.

I may not rattle my personal TB around the inside of the cache container but it does visit the cache location with me.

I knew your post about dunking it in a bucket was facetious, but the part that sounded weird was that they would walk up to a cache, put their TB in the container and then pull it right back out? Is there really any significance to physically placing the TB in the cache container only to remove it a few seconds later? Is it just a physical manifestation of a symbolic gesture?

It's like touching second in baseball, you SHOULD.

Personal honesty thing I guess.

I knew your post about dunking it in a bucket was facetious, but the part that sounded weird was that they would walk up to a cache, put their TB in the container and then pull it right back out? Is there really any significance to physically placing the TB in the cache container only to remove it a few seconds later? Is it just a physical manifestation of a symbolic gesture?

You really think it is even in the least bit important that you physically dip the bug or coin in the cache? After all, the point is to keep track of the travels of the coin/TB, and the cacher they represent. What do you do at a nano?

Sure there is, I did it. I went back through my finds, and did a note on the date of my original find, then left the bug in the cache and pulled it out right afterward

This misses the point -- it creates notifications for everyone watching the cache, which is what the OP wanted to avoid due to knowing that many of the caches in question are watched by a gateway to a mailing list.

In addition, it's simply a lot less convenient in general than just altering the found log. When you're doing mass back-logging like this it may not matter as much, since the retrievals are still the hard part. But for someone who's just logged a find and forgotten to do a normal drop, modifying the find log would be quite a bit easier. This is why it's such a frequently requested feature.

Edward