Date of First Satellite Lock

I understand that Garmin really considers the GPS unit as being put into service based on the date of the first satellite/position lock.

Additionally, they consider the warranty period to commence on that same date.

They offer a "free" update within 60 days of that date.

Does anyone know "where" and how that date is logged? HGow can I see that date ? I have read that some people have received "used or returned" GPS units from some retailers and I want to be sure that is not the case for me.

Thanks.

Edited by pratzert

I understand that Garmin really considers the GPS unit as being put into service based on the date of the first satellite/position lock.

Additionally, they consider the warranty period to commence on that same date.

They offer a "free" update within 60 days of that date.

Does anyone know "where" and how that date is logged? HGow can I see that date ? I have read that some people have received "used or returned" GPS units from some retailers and I want to be sure that is not the case for me.

Thanks.

I suspect it's probably stored in an encrypted file on the device and I've not seen anywhere on my Nuvi 255w that indicates the date of first satellite lock. Most likely a hidden file in the onboard memory, or even in another memory location.

I would imagine the following would suffice in the event you get in a disagreement when your 60 days (or 1 year warranty) expires.

Keep your receipt and register your device on my.garmin.com the day you buy it. Got it as a gift? Register it on the day you open it up, and ask the giver to hold on to the receipt for a few months or put it in a sealed envelope and give it to you in case you need it for warranty claim or proof of purchase.

After you register on garmin's website I had a link on there that displayed the first satellite lock date. Much to my dismay the unit I bought had a sat lock of 9 months prior to my purchase. Everything (so far) is working, just when I buy a "new" gps I expected it to be that, not used.

Yeah, from what I understand, the date is contained in memory areas that are not accessible to the user.

However, if you purchase a new unit from a retail vendor and have a retail receipt and if you find that when you register the unit that the date shown as the first acquisition is not consistent with your purchase date, then contact Garmin and provide them with a copy of the receipt and the date should be corrected by them allowing you to obtain the update for which you would be eligible.