Baby Earth Turtle

tsunrisebey

I'm working on a version, but I made up a template in Illustrator for easy coloring.

Wow, this would have made it so easy. I think I'll redo mine with it.

Oh well, that won't work. When you right click this, the file is all black. The only thing that shows is the gray.... NEVERMIND, grabbed it through a screen capture and cropped.

I was able to save it with no problems.

Thanks anne.and.eli. This is really great!

I haven't a clue, but did have an idea of a tye-dyed geowoodstock version after reading another recent thread 8a62f09f-0516-4448-8f26-7c8db69e1f11.jpg

I'm not sure you can mix colors in this way, but it would be awesome to have a groovy baby ET :P:laughing::ph34r:

The mint won't go for it, BUT. Pearl enamels would give you something to that effect. You may have never seen them, but they're basically swirly colors. Think one color superballs, the ones with a solid color and white swirled together. They don't have much use in geocoins, but they're perty :D

I'm working on a version, but I made up a template in Illustrator for easy coloring.

Oh well, that won't work. When you right click this, the file is all black. The only thing that shows is the gray.... NEVERMIND, grabbed it through a screen capture and cropped.

I was able to save it, but when I opened it in Paint Shop Pro, it was a solid black box with those little gray areas. Capturing the screen worked fine for me tho.

I redid the art and saved it as the same filename. So that's what shows in my posts now.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I was able to save it, but when I opened it in Paint Shop Pro, it was a solid black box with those little gray areas. Capturing the screen worked fine for me tho.

I redid the art and saved it as the same filename. So that's what shows in my posts now.

Another way to do that is to open the file in Paint, then go to "Image" and select "Invert colors".

Here's my contribution: the "Ghost Rider" edition.

I was inspired by a Harley I saw today with a custom paint job - black and red/dark red/yellow flames. The 'flames' on the flippers reminded me of it.

MyBabyET.jpg

Thanks for the clean template anne.and.eli! I used it to edit my entry.

Another way to do that is to open the file in Paint, then go to "Image" and select "Invert colors".

When you right-click and select 'save picture as', don't select .bmp as the format. Select .png. This will save it just as shown in anne.and.eli's post.

I'm working on a version, but I made up a template in Illustrator for easy coloring. I figured it might help some of you who are having trouble with your graphics programs!

The grey bits are the metal that would be below the level of the enamel, so it would show up with transparencies, and you wouldn't see them if you did opaques or glitters.

BabyETtemplate.png

Hope it helps! There's been some seriously gorgeous entries!

WOW! It's so much easier that way!!!! :D:P

I won't redo mine but I played with it just to see and it took me 5 minutes to fill all the colors (of course they were already chosen! dah!). Yesterday I had to click on all the little spaces that wouldn't get colored.

It was fun either way though!

Thanks anne.and.eli for this.

I really do love the Baby Turtles and my friend and I will start for the challenge.

I hope I can attache the file.

Can someone out there tell me how I can load up my pic.. I have it saved in my pic. files but copy and paste doesn`t work. Insert Image is always asking me for the URL of the pic. No idea of how to fix this.

Thanks

I really do love the Baby Turtles and my friend and I will start for the challenge.

Can someone out there tell me how I can load up my pic.. I have it saved in my pic. files but copy and paste doesn`t work. Insert Image is always asking me for the URL of the pic. No idea of how to fix this.

Thanks

First you will have to upload your image to a file hosting service such as Photobucket, flickr, picasaweb, etc. When you upload an image, it should give you the URL to paste into your post here on the forums.

I'm sorry but, I still can't figure out what the translucent colors are. :P

Instead of the "transparent #12" I'd like a translucent royal blue color.

Instead of the "transparent #7" I'd like a translucent gold color.

Instead of the "transparent #16" I'd like no color, just the metal.

Antique Copper for the finish.

I don' know what the "1st and 2nd levels" mean. :D

With anne.and.eli's clean template, I was able to get something put together but, I'm still not sure if I got the colors right for being translucent. Transparent = translucent ? The sun tis supposed to be the glitter number in the image. If the glitter can't be done there, then it can be the translucent #15.

641.JPG

Edit again to change the pic so it has the copper version of the outline. (Thank you, Anne!) The 1st and 2nd lvl's are hard to tell color wise. The flames are supposed to be the 2nd lvl, according to the original Tsun posted.

Edited by Howlingmoon

Thanks

First you will have to upload your image to a file hosting service such as Photobucket, flickr, picasaweb, etc. When you upload an image, it should give you the URL to paste into your post here on the forums.

I upload an image to a travel bug than open the picture in another window and it gives you the url for the picture without using other sites.

a879a460-7359-44f6-98ab-bf436f6b4f43.jpg

tryin to give this one a caribbean-ish feel.

used a burnt orange (pms)

dark red (pms)

dark aqua (pms)

I know that the caribbean uses brighter colors... but they were hurting my eyes

Thanks for the neat project!

(edit) oh and the flares on mine should also be the metal.... sorry.

(edit...edit) oh.... i like that in antique silver because of silver from mexico.... also i see sea turtles every time we go to st. george island, Fl .... which is caribbean

b0a015a6-9184-43a0-8ba5-81cd1b8b6adc.jpg

ok... i redid this with the new template... thanks!

oh and I think that I like the look of the dark nickel on it now... anyways... i hope that changing a few things on it doesn't void me from the competition. I think that it looks a lot more clean now. I'm not very good with graphic arts... but I tried.

There are a lot of very good works out there! This has been a pretty fun competition. Thanks!

pms1375

pms1375-win.gif

pms 485

RedPMS485.jpg

and pms 312 blue... which i can't find a pic of

Edited by goosefraba1

Sky and Woods in antique silver:

BabyETSkyandWoods.png

and in antique gold

BabyETSkyandWoodsgold.png

I wanted to capture the sun by day, the moon by night and the green earth below in this one. I'd look for the black to be glitter; as fine a glitter as possible.

~~~~~

Forest and Sky in antique silver:

I'd like to see the darkest blue in this be glitter

BabyETForestandSky-1.png

And here it is in gold

BabyETForestandSkygold.png

Edited by ATMouse
I'm working on a version, but I made up a template in Illustrator for easy coloring. I figured it might help some of you who are having trouble with your graphics programs!

The grey bits are the metal that would be below the level of the enamel, so it would show up with transparencies, and you wouldn't see them if you did opaques or glitters.

BabyETtemplate.png

Hope it helps! There's been some seriously gorgeous entries!

Thank You Anne, Lots of people could of probably used this earler, we know we said a blank templete from the start would of been nice when we gave it a try but it really made the people work hard that did it before this post. Thank You for being so nice in posting this.
Yah, I apologize for not doing it earlier, it's been a crazy week! I'm loving all the entries so hopefully this will encourage more. :P

And hopefully tsunrisebey doesn't mind that I posted the templates!

No Need to Appolagise, You did not do anything wrong and you didnt have to do that to make it easier for people, Maybe Tsun wanted it to be a challenge for everyone. She is always up for the Challenge per say :D There is alot of nice designs, but glad we summitted ours before you posted the templates :laughing:

Edited by sweetlife

Here's my go at it:

turtle.jpg

I didn't realize that what I marked as Translucent 16 was actually bare metal, so, if possible, I'd like to change that to 2nd Level and Antique Silver to 1st Level like so:

turtle2.jpg

Edit: Typo in image, should be "Antique Silver/2nd level"

Edited by dimkasmir

BabyTurtle-1.jpg

ColorScheme-1.jpg

Metal is antique copper.

Here is my entry. Thanks for the great cointest! and thanks to Anne for the blank template you created for everyone to use. This was a lot of fun, but alas, there are so many colors to choose from and so many great entries already!

*edited to add metal choice

Edited by surteb

Wow, I had way too much fun with designing mine, and now it's fun to come back and see everyone's great suggestions!

I wanted to play with the idea of two opposing elements; I chose fire and water because I like the colors a lot better. :D

Turtle-BlueOrange-Small.png

Metal is antique silver

Dark blue is Translucent #8

Light blue is Translucent #21

Dark orange is Translucent #1

Light orange is Translucent #18

I have been working on mine and then found the template. It looks great but I must admit soemthing here. What is a screen capture? I was aboe to save the BN I think but the gold and the silver which I had wanted to use one of those only save that wasy with a bunch of grey squares. can someone enlighten me?

I wish I could make one, but I am an owful designer!!! :D

I have an idea but How can I tell it without a photo....

I was thining the metal to be polished gold or satin gold, the eyes of the turtle and the small designs... the dots etc, to be in metal (gold), the color of the turtle (head, feet, tail) to be in farest green (you know the one that is a little dark but not very dark... sorry I do not know alot about the coin colors!), the inside tonge in the feet to be orange and the inner maybe red glitter...

The shell now.... I would like the sun and the moon to glow!!! The smaller rays of the sun to be in red glitter and the big one in glow yellow! The round thing in the middle of the sun now: the outer ring to be in red glitter and the center to be in glow! I was thinking.... is it possible instead of the glitter in the small rays of the sun, to have glow in other color??? maybe green??? I would love to see 2 different glow colors, but to show that there are different! I mean... when they will glow, to see the yellow and the green!!!

Of course I do not know how it will look on daylight!

The round thing near to the moon... glitter red like the other! the middle wil have the same color of the part the moon is!

It is a ying yang right?? I would love to see the part where the sun is in light blue of the sky like it is a day and the part where the moon is to have the blue of the see... the dark one!

now the shell on the other side.... I do not know... maybe a light brown like it is a real back side of turtle shell or a color between orange and red... or light green??? I really do not know about that!!!! Sorry! :P

I hope someone can make this in reality so we can see it! :laughing:

Everything is in my mind right now, so... I do not know how it looks like!!! :ph34r:

I have been working on mine and then found the template. It looks great but I must admit soemthing here. What is a screen capture? I was aboe to save the BN I think but the gold and the silver which I had wanted to use one of those only save that wasy with a bunch of grey squares. can someone enlighten me?

That's cause it's a transparant .gif file. Just use the PRINT SCREEN KEY once your page is scrolled where you want and then PASTE into your graphics program. You'll have to crop the image and then paint the background white with the paint can tool. Takes 2 minutes if that.

Edited by AtlantaGal

That's cause it's a transparant .gif file. Just use the PRINT SCREEN KEY once your page is scrolled where you want and then PASTE into your graphics program. You'll have to crop the image and then paint the background white with the paint can tool. Takes 2 minutes if that.

Thanks. I'll try that! I just finished one version the hard way. I'm going to try a few different colors and see which one I like the best....

Here is a little submission from me. Thanks for the challenge, I desperately needed something to keep my mind off things, and this did the trick. Thanks also for the templates, I'll admit I was a little frustrated trying to figure out that part, as I'm bad with graphics. I added a PMS colour legend, but if there are semi-equivalent translucents, that would probably look better. It's cool that there's so many creative and talented people here, and the other designs are all fantastic. I'm glad I don't have to choose the winners!

3797020498_ae3e9effbd.jpg

I can't figure out how to edit the colors on my mac, so I hope it's not too much trouble if I just describe what I'd do based on your schematic. I hope it makes sense. Your design is very beautiful, and I can only hope to do it justice. Thanks for letting me play. It was fun to be a little creative!

In place of transparent #12 everywhere except the sun, I'd like glow #3.

In place of transparent #12 in the sun, I'd like transparent #4.

In place of transparent #7 on the wave, I'd like glitter color CA-9.

In place of transparent #7 on the legs, I'd like glow #8.

In place of transparent #7 in the sun, I'd like transparent #24.

In place of transparent #16 on the wave, I'd like glitter color Laser.

In place of transparent #16 in the sun, I'd like transparent #4.

For metal, I'd like antique bronze.

I posted this last night, but when I reread the rules, I realized that my entry was ineligible. So I found a Paint emulator and learned that my skills are mostly made of fail. Please note that I intend no major changes to your design; the text should be considered to still be there, as should the awesome dots around the border of the circle. The fact that you can't see them in my image is proof of epic failure on my part. Without further ado:

web.jpg

My fail is even worse. I don't think that address works. Let's try this one:

ettzipora.jpg

Here is my submission. My other one is with brigtht pop right out at ya colors as I am that kind of wench but I decided to go with the earthy tones. I wanted to do the body mostly in translucents but I can't tell from the chart I have which are browns etc.

Base metal I'd like to see as antique bronze/gold or a shiny gold would work too.

32ef64d7-7bf7-4609-be83-358f099dbd9a.jpg

Ok since I can't seem to edit my original picture to get the lettering larger here goes

On the front upper left and then clockwise

PMS 1265

PMS 131

PMS 3975

Orange 021

PMS 107

PMS 116

Back

PMS 124

PMS1265

Edited by LadyBee4T

Tsun i really like your idea here,, thats very cool of you. i wish i could enter but i just dont have the time .. my life revolves around my family now, and i get to come and "check in " but dont get to stay long. ive had the first template for a few days now but havent had the time to color,, bummer.. i wanted to give it go... thx tho.. your great for this really

Oh man, I don't even know if this is done, but I've spent the last two days tweaking colors and staring at coins to see what colors the transparencies REALLY look like and in general over obsessing.

In that time, two people have posted color combos I was considering, and a whole slew of you posted beautiful things I hadn't considered!

So now I'm posting this because I need my life back. B) Thanks so much tsun, this was a lot of fun, AND it gave me a bit of an inside look of what it will be like when (I say when, not IF) I can design my own coin. :blink:

For inspiration, I was trying to capture the colors of the ocean during night and day. I did a cold water and warm water version, and ended up liking the warm water version better. For the record, Gillian liked the cold water version better. Go figure. :mad:

warmwater2.jpg

P.S. In obsessively staring at your currently minted earth turtles, I noticed you mentioned that there are two abstracted animals in the baby. Please tell me one of them is an orca? I see an orca. I almost colored in my version to highlight the orca. Actually, I kinda did but I didn't get the top fin (turtle tail)

The other I see is a whale with a blow hole.

Maybe they've already been guessed, but I just had to share/ask.

Orca:

orca.jpg

Please tell me I'm not insane. o.O

Edited by anne.and.eli

Oh man, I don't even know if this is done, but I've spent the last two days tweaking colors and staring at coins to see what colors the transparencies REALLY look like and in general over obsessing.

In that time, two people have posted color combos I was considering, and a whole slew of you posted beautiful things I hadn't considered!

So now I'm posting this because I need my life back. B) Thanks so much tsun, this was a lot of fun, AND it gave me a bit of an inside look of what it will be like when (I say when, not IF) I can design my own coin. :blink:

For inspiration, I was trying to capture the colors of the ocean during night and day. I did a cold water and warm water version, and ended up liking the warm water version better. For the record, Gillian liked the cold water version better. Go figure. :mad:

warmwater2.jpg

Great work!

And again, thank you so much for the templates! They really make it easier and more fun to color!

And thank you tsun! This is such a fun contest!

Clearly not a designer but I did have fun with this. Thanks for posting the template - it helped a bunch!

The colors on mine have special significance to my family. They are as follows because I could not get my little turle any larger or figure out how to use and import the "real" colors. Sorry.......anyway

Metal – Antique Silver

Colors –

Flames on both sides of flippers, compass rose and small circle

Red – Transparent #2 (or bright red) – Gritty #3 (probably on Die)

Yellow – Transparent #24 (or bright yellow) – Gritty #3 (probably on Die)

Black – Transparent

White – Trasparent

Under Compass Rose

Greenish Blue – Pantone #560

Body and Flippers of BET – both sides Black – Hard Enamel

babyetfinal-1.jpg

Thanks for the fun - some great colors on some of those already submitted. Good luck everyone!

Edited for silly spelling error!

Edited by hollora

RedOtterET.PNG

Here is my attempt at making one. The metal is antique silver. I went with an otter theme.

On the back:

translucent blue represents the water

light green represents the seaweed and other aquatic plant

darker green represents the surrounding trees

On the front:

brown represents the otter

dark blue represents the earth

translucent blue represents the water

green represents the surrounding trees

yellow/orange represent the sun

red is for the reddish sky (and Red Otter :blink:)

Thanks for the fun cointest and thank-you anne.and.eli for the blank template!!!

Edited by Red Otter

Here is a little submission from me. Thanks for the challenge, I desperately needed something to keep my mind off things, and this did the trick. Thanks also for the templates, I'll admit I was a little frustrated trying to figure out that part, as I'm bad with graphics. I added a PMS colour legend, but if there are semi-equivalent translucents, that would probably look better. It's cool that there's so many creative and talented people here, and the other designs are all fantastic. I'm glad I don't have to choose the winners!

3797020498_ae3e9effbd.jpg

This is a great combination (especially if your bright blue was a bit darker, maybe darker than the blue used on legs or maybe more pastelly). Although in looking at my 285 chart, its a bit darker than how my screen is showing your 285. Nice work.

Edited by Zelanzy

Great work!

And again, thank you so much for the templates! They really make it easier and more fun to color!

And thank you tsun! This is such a fun contest!

Thank you, and no problem on the templates! I wanted to make one anyway, so it made sense to share it since people were having issues with the coloring. :blink:

I love this cointest! I hope more people do this in the future. I love all the beautiful combos people think up that I would never have considered trying!