Baby Earth Turtle

tsunrisebey

The Baby ET is the attachment to the ET Oceania however this coin by itself will have it's own icon and custom tracking number. So this is a separate coin being offered (no mama). This will be the sale thread when they are ready (which won't be for awhile).

Here's the deal, I'm going to let you all choose colors and metal for the Baby ET. This is the template which has 1 of the color schemes I already used. There are more ET Oceania coins on order, so you won't know each version but highly doubtful you'll choose my exact metal/color schemes. You get to take the template and add your own colors (they can be amy enamel combination and / or any metal). They need to be clearly marked but they don't have to be super neat, I can adjust them for you. I won't accept ideas or concepts, you need to do fill in the artwork as best as possible (Microsoft Paint will probably work or whatever program you have). You will post your artwork to this thread!!!! Don't email me your artwork, I get too many emails as it is.

Friday night (this Friday), no more artwork will be accepted. I will look over all the versions and I will pick a few that I like and think will work well. If I choose yours, you will get 5 free coins and that version will be named after you; ex: Baby ET tsunrisebey edition. I don't have a problem coming up with desing combos but I'm just offering everyone an opportunity to be a part of the Baby ET process :anibad:

Only submit 1 design and no more! I'll post on Friday night when no more designs are being accepted. If you have any complaints, then don't design a turtle. I will post winners here for all to see. I am going to be picky, meaning I'm going to pick combos that I feel will sell well. Please don't ask me a bazillion questions can I use this, can I use that, how many of this can I use, etc. Just design a turtle and post it B)

Have fun!

tsun

BabyETtemplateblogforum.jpg

Edited by tsunrisebey

Okay, here's mine:

Jackalgirl_BabyET.gif

Sorry it came out so raggedy and crappy, but I figured you'd get the idea.

The idea is to use Satin Gold with translucents 20 (purple), 21(blue), and 22(orangy-salmon). I like those colors and I think the translucents will come out lighter than my graphic depicts.

Thanks for this neat cointest and great opportunity, tsun!

a879a460-7359-44f6-98ab-bf436f6b4f43.jpg

tryin to give this one a caribbean-ish feel.

used a burnt orange (pms)

dark red (pms)

dark aqua (pms)

I know that the caribbean uses brighter colors... but they were hurting my eyes

Thanks for the neat project!

(edit) oh and the flares on mine should also be the metal.... sorry.

(edit...edit) oh.... i like that in antique silver because of silver from mexico.... also i see sea turtles every time we go to st. george island, Fl .... which is caribbean

Edited by goosefraba1

oh darn.... didn't realize that there are certain colors that we are supposed to use :anibad: ... could somebody elaborate for me. Thanks, Goose

Well, the way I understand it, and I have a VERY limited knowledge of designing geocoins like none, there's a list or chart somewhere that shows what colors can be used on geocoins.

Where do you find the colors that can be used ? I googled but, can't figure it out. :anibad:

Try looking here. This has all of the specialty colors (glows, glitters and translucent enamels). It does not show all of the possible platings, however.

And if you want to use solid colors, all you have to do is specify the PMS color. There's a link to a PMS chart on that page, but look out for the colors that say <number> x2. That means "print the color twice" for a deeper, richer version of that color. You can't do that in enamel.

I hope this helps!

oh darn.... didn't realize that there are certain colors that we are supposed to use :anibad: ... could somebody elaborate for me. Thanks, Goose

No worries, Goose -- the design you posted should work okay in translucent enamels (if that's what you wanted) or in opaque enamels (which are easier, because you're not limited to a set palette).

Edited to add: Howlingmoon -- I live to serve. : )

Edited by Jackalgirl

From the ones submitted so far I take it we are limited to 3 colors but the colors can be pms, glitter, glow or translucent? (Sorry I tried real real hard not to ask any questions and not be a pain in the....:anibad:)

I think I need to get my crayons out and then scan my creation. LOL

Okay, here's mine:

Jackalgirl_BabyET.gif

The idea is to use Satin Gold with translucents 20 (purple), 21(blue), and 22(orangy-salmon). I like those colors and I think the translucents will come out lighter than my graphic depicts.

That is crappy? I sure wish I could do half as well OMG wait until you see mine. I bet with this useless finger I will barely be able to stay between the lines!!!

I hope we're not limited on the amount of colors we can use! I wanted to work in all the colors that make me think of Montana. :anibad: Pink for the Bitterroot, yellow, brown, and black for the Meadowlark, blue and aqua for our skies and waters, green for our trees, and dark blue and white glitter for our snowcapped mountains. Oh, the copper metal is a reminder of all of our horrible fires.

Sorry it's messy, it's hard to color someone else's design!

BabyETtemplatesunsetmeadowlarkChart.jpg

BabyETtemplateblogforum.jpg

I can't figure out how to edit the colors on my mac, so I hope it's not too much trouble if I just describe what I'd do based on your schematic. I hope it makes sense. Your design is very beautiful, and I can only hope to do it justice. Thanks for letting me play. It was fun to be a little creative!

In place of transparent #12 everywhere except the sun, I'd like glow #3.

In place of transparent #12 in the sun, I'd like transparent #4.

In place of transparent #7 on the wave, I'd like glitter color CA-9.

In place of transparent #7 on the legs, I'd like glow #8.

In place of transparent #7 in the sun, I'd like transparent #24.

In place of transparent #16 on the wave, I'd like glitter color Laser.

In place of transparent #16 in the sun, I'd like transparent #4.

For metal, I'd like antique bronze.

Tsun, I just realized that something I thought was raised metal actually is not -- the starburst and the underside of the round shape on the lower lobe of the yin-yang.

Just to clarify: that should be bare metal (that is, satin gold, no enamel) on my submission.

Sorry -- I should learn to read and interpret a blueprint properly!

I have to get to work but look up Jackgirl's post for a good chart on special colorings (glitter, glow, translucents- yes the translucents are tough with no experience) The pantones can be googled but I will say this, they don't look the same as when applied to metal, you truly need a chart in hand.

This is meant to be fun, you do your best. I didn't put a limit on anything, like I said, put a colored turtle together,label it as best you can and I will work with your concept as long as it appears to be understandable. If this feels too stressful, don't do it.

sunsetmeadowlark... you can either revise your artwork to PMS colors or I'll convert them to pms if it's chosen but there aren't tranlucents in those colors :) If you misunderstood what is available you can redo your turtle.

Welcome to the Design 101: Choosing colors and metals ;)

Edited by tsunrisebey

Where do you find the colors that can be used ? I googled but, can't figure it out. :)

Try looking here. This has all of the specialty colors (glows, glitters and translucent enamels). It does not show all of the possible platings, however.

And if you want to use solid colors, all you have to do is specify the PMS color. There's a link to a PMS chart on that page, but look out for the colors that say <number> x2. That means "print the color twice" for a deeper, richer version of that color. You can't do that in enamel.

I hope this helps!

thanks Jackal!

Okay, here's mine:

Jackalgirl_BabyET.gif

That is crappy? I sure wish I could do half as well OMG wait until you see mine. I bet with this useless finger I will barely be able to stay between the lines!!!

Hopefully your program has bucket fill. You should be able to accomplish all you need to do with bucket fill. : )

I'm sorry but, I still can't figure out what the translucent colors are. ;)

Instead of the "transparent #12" I'd like a translucent royal blue color.

Instead of the "transparent #7" I'd like a translucent gold color.

Instead of the "transparent #16" I'd like no color, just the metal.

Antique Copper for the finish.

I don' know what the "1st and 2nd levels" mean. :)

Really like the colors you chose Jackal. :)

Jackalgirl_BabyET.gif

Well here is my version of your cute little ET Tsun.

I love antique copper so it would be in ANTIQUE COPPER finish

Colors are hex#

The back can be as is or bare metal.

2 colors are ''almost'' the same as my sample coming in but in lot lot lot less quantity. I do not mind If you don't.

Thanks for this interesting cointest. I had fun! :)

BabyETtemplateblogforum-1.jpg

Edited by Turlutortue

I don' know what the "1st and 2nd levels" mean. :)

When you normally do a 2D coin, you have two metal levels: raised metal and recessed metal. However, you can also ask for levels in between (or deeper levels).

If I am not mistaken, "2nd level" on the ET is a level in between the recessed background and the highest level of the metal. I'd call it "semi-recessed".

When you're using "soft cloisonne" (also known as Imitation Hard Enamel), the enamel isn't /paint/ (like soft enamel), it's a resin. They fill in the coin's areas and then polish it down so it's flush with the raised metal. So, when you're using IHE, one of the main way to get lots of variation in your design is to use multiple levels. In the case of translucent enamels, using varying levels also lets you approximate shading and highlights (deeper-recessed metal for the shading, semi-recessed metal for the highlights).

So in the case of the ET designs, the "2nd level" (which is the core of the leg "flames") areas will look like a lighter version of the color you've chosen for the flames.

I hope this makes sense!

I really like polished Black Nickel, glitter and glow. So here's all those together or replace Gliter with Pantone 339C.

612938944_sT7qX-XL.jpg

Base Metal is Polished Black Nickel

Light yellow = Glow Color #5

Green = Glitter Color KT35054 or Pantone 339C

Orange = Pantone Orange 21C

Brownish orange = Pantone 1525C

Thanks for letting us Play this was fun :)

Edited to use better template and correct wrong Pantone number.

Edited by AlienHeads
I can't figure out how to edit the colors on my mac, so I hope it's not too much trouble if I just describe what I'd do based on your schematic. I hope it makes sense. Your design is very beautiful, and I can only hope to do it justice. Thanks for letting me play. It was fun to be a little creative!

In place of transparent #12 everywhere except the sun, I'd like glow #3.

In place of transparent #12 in the sun, I'd like transparent #4.

In place of transparent #7 on the wave, I'd like glitter color CA-9.

In place of transparent #7 on the legs, I'd like glow #8.

In place of transparent #7 in the sun, I'd like transparent #24.

In place of transparent #16 on the wave, I'd like glitter color Laser.

In place of transparent #16 in the sun, I'd like transparent #4.

For metal, I'd like antique bronze.

I posted this last night, but when I reread the rules, I realized that my entry was ineligible. So I found a Paint emulator and learned that my skills are mostly made of fail. Please note that I intend no major changes to your design; the text should be considered to still be there, as should the awesome dots around the border of the circle. The fact that you can't see them in my image is proof of epic failure on my part. Without further ado:

web.jpg

Here's my contribuition....

AG_BET.jpg

Sorry, I can't do the lettering and stuff on the back. Hope this is enough to give the general idea. I'm not a graphics designer. Translucent #14 or #21 could be subbed in for #299 also.

I (jrr) was just coming here to see if I could convince sillygirl (she has the all graphics knowledge) to show one with Translucent #14, 9, & 5. But now she doesn't have to, and is very happy. I really hope this one gets made, Trans 14 is the closest approximation to the shallow "inside the reef" water here.

jrr

I'm working on a version, but I made up a template in Illustrator for easy coloring. I figured it might help some of you who are having trouble with your graphics programs!

The grey bits are the metal that would be below the level of the enamel, so it would show up with transparencies, and you wouldn't see them if you did opaques or glitters.

BabyETtemplate.png

Hope it helps! There's been some seriously gorgeous entries!

I'm working on a version, but I made up a template in Illustrator for easy coloring.

Wow, this would have made it so easy. I think I'll redo mine with it.

Oh well, that won't work. When you right click this, the file is all black. The only thing that shows is the gray.... NEVERMIND, grabbed it through a screen capture and cropped.

Edited by AtlantaGal