Hand-made Geocoin

goosefraba1

I know that this is my second topic tonight... but I am just interested because I am new.

Has anybody made geocoins by hand. I know that they wouldn't be trackable via geocaching.com, but I think it would be neat to make personal items like this. I am taking another ceramics course this fall and I think that I might try my hand at it. If ceramics are good enough for the space shuttle, then they are durable enough for me.

Any ideas as to how to go about doing this? I could make a die... that way I could make one to keep and a couple to place in caches.

What other forms have been attempted?

Thanks for your comments/suggestions

First off I need to warn you that I'm new too so don't bet the farm on anything I say. If my memory serves me correctly (it frequently does fail me though) I think in the last 6 months or so I saw a topic in this forum and there were pictures of some hand made coins that a geocacher had made. So if nobody else can step forward to assist you then you may want to use the search function at the very bottom of the geocoin forum page to see if you can find some useful info. Good luck! :anibad:

Edit to add: The thread that jasondulac put a link to above is the one I was referencing. I'm glad you knew enough to put a link to it since I didn't.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

There are hand made coins out there some aren trackable on geocaching.com heres one of them Upik Nuannertoq This is a hand made coin made by Mickebush77 and yes it is trackable

whoa... those are amazing

I wonder how one would go about getting a tracking #

you have to buy the tracking # from groundspeack

don't qoute me but I'm pretty sure there $2.50 each and you have to buy at least 50

There are hand made coins out there some aren trackable on geocaching.com heres one of them Upik Nuannertoq This is a hand made coin made by Mickebush77 and yes it is trackable

Are you looking for one of these? I have one available... :anibad:

CF30

I've always been interested in ceramics and metallurgy.... It never fails to catch my attention. I can't really explain why. I just think that it is fascinating what creative ideas the human mind is capable of. I just think that coin is truly a traveling piece of art. Oh, to answer your question... yes... but I don't have anything to trade... sorry.

Are you looking for one of these? I have one available... B)

CF30

I've always been interested in ceramics and metallurgy.... It never fails to catch my attention. I can't really explain why. I just think that it is fascinating what creative ideas the human mind is capable of. I just think that coin is truly a traveling piece of art. Oh, to answer your question... yes... but I don't have anything to trade... sorry.

I sell as well as trade. Same price as listed in the thread for 'em ... :anibad: + shipping.

CF30

Just as an aside: the tracking codes are $1.50 per and you have to buy at least 50. At the same link: if you make 50 of your personals, you can buy a unique icon ($150).

If you're only planning on making a few of these (< 50), it might be easier to buy travel bugs and engrave their numbers on your coin. You can only have one trackable with one number, so you can't reuse the travel bug tags on anything else, but it is a way to go if you're only making, say, 10.

Another thing to do would be to find four other buddies and pool the money to buy 50 codes (and perhaps a unique "group" icon). Then you each take 10 codes and go to down with your personal siggy items.

Remember that if you do this, you have to get your design approved by Groundspeak (as do each of your buddies).

Just as an aside: the tracking codes are $1.50 per and you have to buy at least 50. At the same link: if you make 50 of your personals, you can buy a unique icon ($150).

If you're only planning on making a few of these (< 50), it might be easier to buy travel bugs and engrave their numbers on your coin. You can only have one trackable with one number, so you can't reuse the travel bug tags on anything else, but it is a way to go if you're only making, say, 10.

Another thing to do would be to find four other buddies and pool the money to buy 50 codes (and perhaps a unique "group" icon). Then you each take 10 codes and go to down with your personal siggy items.

Remember that if you do this, you have to get your design approved by Groundspeak (as do each of your buddies).

not a bad price... hmmm I might have to consult with one of my friends about this. She could help me design a stamp and point me into the right direction.

Thanks!