Geocoin Activation Question

jedimann74

Okay, this forum seach engine wont let me search with words with less then 5 characters in it so I am sorry if this has been touched upon already.

Am I supposed to activate my own geocoin that I purchased or place it in a cache and let the finder do it. I dont currently do geocaching but plan to and didnt want to activate my coin prematurely.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

I also find it annoying that we can't search for anything less than 5 letters long.

If you activate it you will be the owner and you will get the emails when it is moved along. If you don't activate it but instead leave it in a cache for others to find, it would be considered swag to be traded for. the finder could then choose to activate it or not. They could activate it also but not send it traveling.

All in all it really is your choice and you could just keep it in your own collection. Be aware though that collecting geocoins is addicting and can be expensive! LOL

Be aware though that collecting geocoins is addicting and can be expensive! LOL

I already found that out, got two more comin and watchin like 5 others, lol.

So what I am looking to do is to place the coins or at least some of them and see where they go. So for this to happen I need to activate it correct?

Thanks for the welcome also btw!

So what I am looking to do is to place the coins or at least some of them and see where they go. So for this to happen I need to activate it correct?

If you want to watch them then I would activate them yourself. Be prepared though that they do go missing. Some coins have a pretty good survival rate but others lose their coins after a couple of caches. Good Luck!!

If you want to watch them then I would activate them yourself. Be prepared though that they do go missing. Some coins have a pretty good survival rate but others lose their coins after a couple of caches. Good Luck!!

Thanks again LadyBee4T!

I also find it annoying that we can't search for anything less than 5 letters long.

There's a solution. Use google to search this site and you don' have the limit. Go to google type in what you want to search for then add site:forums.Groundspeak.com to the end of your search text. This will instruct google to only look here for the hits.

There's a solution. Use google to search this site and you don' have the limit. Go to google type in what you want to search for then add site:forums.Groundspeak.com to the end of your search text. This will instruct google to only look here for the hits.

Very kewl thanks for the info.

Okay, so I found some new terminology and hopefully you all can help me.

Here is what is at Geocaching.com

"If the geocoin is listed as being in a cache, you will have two options: retrieve it from the cache or grab the geocoin. If you took it from the cache listed, use that option. Otherwise choose to grab the geocoin. Both logs require the tracking number, so keep the tracking number handy for the coin you plan to log.

Once you have successfully grabbed or picked up the geocoin, it will remain in your online inventory until someone else grabs it from you or you place it in a cache.

If you are shown a geocoin by another geocacher but do not actually trade it, you may prefer to "discover" it instead. This is a virtual log type which will not place the coin in your inventory but will keep a record of the find in your profile."

Okay, so if I want the coin to stay in the cache then I need to inform the finders to just log the tracking number and that in turn will put the coin icon in their profile? Does this sound right?

This is crazy, lol.

EXCELLENT!!!! I didn't know that

Okay, this forum seach engine wont let me search with words with less then 5 characters in it so I am sorry if this has been touched upon already.

Am I supposed to activate my own geocoin that I purchased or place it in a cache and let the finder do it. I dont currently do geocaching but plan to and didnt want to activate my coin prematurely.

Thanks

I post this so much I feel like it's a spam attack... For good info on geocoins just look no further than the top of the geocoin forum, the pinned threads have links that take you to more info than you can shake a stick at.

ALSO look at the tabs on the top left of any and every Geocaching.com page - half way down is one labeled TRACKABLE ITEMS. Click on it and you'll find links to geocoin info as well as travel bugs and more.

Happy reading.