My loss, a chance to sway me?

GET A GARMIN 60CSX 249 REI!!!!! Best Geocaching GPS out there

Now why on earth would I want to take two steps backwards?? :P

I would add that there is no need to spam me with the same message, I can find my way around the net just fine. If I were in the market for a GPS, it wouldn't be a lesser unit like the 60CSx...although it is a good unit.

Please don't send me another email...THANKS!

sorry im new to this, first time ever on a board.

Not a problem, just don't want to be spammed! I do appreciate your enthusiasm though and am glad you like your unit! Looks like you've liked it enough to place several hides, keep up the good work! One of these days, I hope to make it to your neck of the woods, might have to search out your hides!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I am curious about the maps you posted online. I am assuming you used Topo 8 to create them? The link goes to an area if the DeLorme website. Is this a service that comes with the software, or do you sign up for it separately? Or to put it another way, will I be able to do this when my new PN-40 arrives this week? :(

I am curious about the maps you posted online. I am assuming you used Topo 8 to create them? The link goes to an area if the DeLorme website. Is this a service that comes with the software, or do you sign up for it separately? Or to put it another way, will I be able to do this when my new PN-40 arrives this week? :(

HEY, CONGRATS!! Yes, this is a service through the T8 software called mapshare, no extra money to use this. I am slowly learning all the great features of T8, surprisingly simple to use too!

For those maps, I took a track (my current active track) from my unit and uploaded it to T8 where I then layered it over the aerial imagery (now, for the aerial imagery, you WILL need to spend $30 for the maps subscription...which is a nice deal) and then sent it to mapshare which gave me the option to email the maps to others or post the link which is what I chose!

I think you're going to LOVE that new PN-40, let us know how it goes for you! And, any questions...just ask, we're here to help!

ETA...by the way, those aerial images you see are also able to be loaded right onto your PN-40...SWEET!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Cooool! :) So all that hoo hah about not being able to share maps with others is just nonsense? Well, I guess it's not nonsense if you wanted them to be able to actually load the map on their GPS, but I doubt I would ever need to do that. OTOH I can see posting maps for my muggle friends, to show them where I've been. ANYONE can look at the link, whether they have the software or not. That is too cool.

I do intend to spend the $30 for the maps. The ability to have the areials right there with me was one of my deciding factors, though I have to admit it was a tough choice between the PN-40 and the Oregon. I think I will post a separate thread with my reasons, because other people might be interested. And it might be fun to watch the reactions. :(

Cooool! :( So all that hoo hah about not being able to share maps with others is just nonsense? Well, I guess it's not nonsense if you wanted them to be able to actually load the map on their GPS, but I doubt I would ever need to do that. OTOH I can see posting maps for my muggle friends, to show them where I've been. ANYONE can look at the link, whether they have the software or not. That is too cool.

Jeanne,

Here is another pictorial with the aerial in 3D view. I have found the several geocaches in this canyon, but do not have their icons shown, although I could have:

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=f4pr3kwj

One plus the Oregon has is the battery life is far better than the PN-40, maybe twice as good depending on the battery used. If I were worried about battery life (back-country hiker etc)

What's the big deal with battery life for back-country hikers, anyway?

Last week I met a couple of backpackers up on the Pacific Crest Trail with no GPS whatsoever! :)

:laughing: HA-HA-HA-HA-HA :lol:

Needed that laugh Team CowboyPapa, especially after the stress of reading all the barely veiled (shall we dim it down a bit and call them) "emotionally charged" posts in this forum. I came here because I'm new and because I was hoping to learn something more about how to buy a GPS than what I've learned from my folks over the last 10+ years of their Geocaching. They've had different Brands too, and each one they've either liked or hated, then went back to ... Here's what I learned from your down to earth answers, from my folks and a tiny bit from this forum:

1.) Everyone has an opinion, and opinions are like the number of grains of sand on a seashore.

2.) Everyone has a favorite GPS Brand Unit they tend to stick with because they "know" it's features, either from personal experience or from that of others with whom they've shared Geocaching experiences.

3.) GPSr units are out there by the box load for Brands. To choose one, well we're going to have to take time to get to know them like a person would a new horse or a new computer. You won't know the kind you personally prefer until you lay eyes on it, get yourself in the control seat (ahem, or saddle as it were), and use it for a while, get to know it, the strengths, the eccentricities and the shortcomings.

4.) Ask someone who's been using the same unit for a while, come out with you several times to help you learn your new GPSr unit while you're out Geocaching.

Having said this, I'm used to my TomTom Go 720, I use it as a speedometer for my car in place of the one that's broken (cheaper than fixing the old one for now). The TomTom's old, and has to be plugged in at all times to work, it can't be used to Geocache unless I use paper/pencil to write down the caches I want to look for and then manually put in the coordinates for each and every cache.

Do I like working this way? No not really, but I've never used another unit either, including the ones my parents have owned. So I'm not familiar with any Brand except TomTom - which right now with the two or three years of experience using it as a speedometer and occasionally a map, I can tell you I don't like the brand, but as I've said before in other places it prevents interviews with officials who have flashing lights on their vehicles. :cute: Anyway, I will be seeking a different kind of hand held GPSr for Geocaching, :D and we shall see which one I settle upon in the very near future, forums like this one make it much more difficult the noob though.

Edited by IowaMongoose