My loss, a chance to sway me?

Do you think possibly that the fact that you are used to the PN-40 might sway you some? The things you described about the Oregon, I haven't experienced with my Oregon 400t (other than the drift in earlier versions of the firmware). It puts me right on the caches. And I have had 7 GPSr units and this one HANDS DOWN is the easiest to use due to the touch screen.

The Oregon and the PN-40 BOTH use the same GPS chipset, so accuracy should be pretty even. I have used many GPSr's and the Oregon is EASILY the best unit out there IMHO!

For me this is the most difficult part of reviewing GPS receivers -- remembering that you're so used to one system and you're having to learn (or re-familiarize yourself with) a new one. All the while not injecting bias into it. Pretty darned tough to do.

Do you think possibly that the fact that you are used to the PN-40 might sway you some? The things you described about the Oregon, I haven't experienced with my Oregon 400t (other than the drift in earlier versions of the firmware). It puts me right on the caches. And I have had 7 GPSr units and this one HANDS DOWN is the easiest to use due to the touch screen.

The Oregon and the PN-40 BOTH use the same GPS chipset, so accuracy should be pretty even. I have used many GPSr's and the Oregon is EASILY the best unit out there IMHO!

For me this is the most difficult part of reviewing GPS receivers -- remembering that you're so used to one system and you're having to learn (or re-familiarize yourself with) a new one. All the while not injecting bias into it. Pretty darned tough to do.

I'll state once more that I went in with an open mind hoping the OR would be all everyone else said it was. I would have been very happy switching should that have been the case. What I liked most about teh OR was the touchscreen and that had it's weaknesses too. And remember, my 17 yr old weighed in on it and he's as unbiased (or is it non-biased??) as they get.

What I find comical though is the fact that I gave an honest opinion based on my experiences and now am being told I was biased. What would have been said had I felt differently about the OR?

I'm not trying to say that at all. I'm just saying that for me, it's the most difficult aspect.

Good to know! :) I think most here will agree that I am of the habit to speak my mind regardless! :D I try to be as honest as possible with anything related to critiquing a GPS...well with all things in life actually :laughing: I think some of you might even remember me wanting to buy a Garmin a while back just to see what all the fuss was about...

Truly, had this thing been even close to what others have stated, I'd be keeping it. it's just not for me, from the experiences I have had thus far. Again, if anyone knows of shortcuts I should be trying which make usage easier, I'll be happy to report back on those experiences too!

When a unit is bought with the express intent (as stated) on returning it....

When EVERY SINGLE one of YOUR posts above "knocks" something about the unit.....

When the negative opinions started even before you even got familiar with the unit....

When a poster has to tell everyone how unbiased their opinion is going to be.....

Yep...I'd say there is bias......

What I find comical though is the fact that I gave an honest opinion based on my experiences and now am being told I was biased. What would have been said had I felt differently about the OR?

Roddy :

I didn't see or interpret any bias, or accusation of such (maybe a little redundancy, but nothing biased).

Keep rollin' bud, you're doing good!

I don't think doubting something can meet expectations, tangible or not is bias, only when those doubts

ring true when the expectations aren't met does it become a bias. I truly feel Roddy entered with an open

mind, else he wouldn't have gone to the trouble, and just bought another 'D'.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

When a unit is bought with the express intent (as stated) on returning it....

When EVERY SINGLE one of YOUR posts above "knocks" something about the unit.....

When the negative opinions started even before you even got familiar with the unit....

When a poster has to tell everyone how unbiased their opinion is going to be.....

Yep...I'd say there is bias......

My friend, you don't even know HALF of the story! Feel free to make any assumptions you please though! :) Oh, and what should I have done when making my first reportings on the experiences thus far?? Lied and said I was loving it?

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hey Rockin' Roddy, I wasn't implying that you were being biased either. I was simply stating that you are much more familiar with the PN-40 than the Oregon. I too have used both, but with very different conclusions. As I stated in another thread on this board, the drill you went through trying to cache with the Oregon WAS a nightmare! There again, it has to do with familiarity with a unit! I have my Oregon profile for GeoCaching set up so that the Main Menu has all the things I use most: "Map", "GeoCaching", "Compass", "Where To!", "Mark Waypoint" and "Waypoint Averaging".

All I have to do to navigate to a cache is, Select "GeoCaching" from the main menu, Select the cache I want, and hit "Go". It then navigates me to the cache via the road, turn-by-turn, then, once I park the Jeep, I click the "X" and select "Where To" and "Recaculate Off Road". Walla! I'm on the cache! I have already found over 1000 caches with my Oregon (561 in May alone!)

VERY simple. I found the PN-40 to be much more cumbersome to operate, with many more cons than pros.

That's one of the great things about living in a non-communistic society! Everyone has choices! I think if you tried the Oregon again and set it up to suit you (which only took about 2 minutes) then you'll find that it is much easier and more fun to operate!

Edited by BetaMan

Hey Rockin' Roddy, I wasn't implying that you were being biased either. I was simply stating that you are much more familiar with the PN-40 than the Oregon. I too have used both, but with very different conclusions. As I stated in another thread on this board, the drill you went through trying to cache with the Oregon WAS a nightmare! There again, it has to do with familiarity with a unit! I have my Oregon profile for GeoCaching set up so that the Main Menu has all the things I use most: "Map", "GeoCaching", "Compass", "Where To!", "Mark Waypoint" and "Waypoint Averaging".

All I have to do to navigate to a cache is, Select "GeoCaching" from the main menu, Select the cache I want, and hit "Go". It then navigates me to the cache via the road, turn-by-turn, then, once I park the Jeep, I click the "X" and select "Where To" and "Recaculate Off Road". Walla! I'm on the cache! I have already found over 1000 caches with my Oregon (561 in May alone!)

VERY simple. I found the PN-40 to be much more cumbersome to operate, with many more cons than pros.

That's one of the great things about living in a non-communistic society! Everyone has choices! I think if you tried the Oregon again and set it up to suit you (which only took about 2 minutes) then you'll find that it is much easier and more fun to operate!

I agree, we all have the choice to use what suits us, good to have choice!

The setup you mention....unless you can edit the main menu (which I've yet to find out how) so that the list is in the order I would rather see, I can't find this unit to be simpler than the PN-40 was. Your procedure lacks the automotive view (where the maps are set up to look like a Nuvi or other car unit would), which is what I would like to see anytime I am routing to the cache. The only way to do this (as I have seen thus far, maybe I'm still missing something?) is to change profiles which is outlined in the procedures I posted in the OR/PN-40 thread.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

So conclusion.

You like the PN-40 as it has better imagery. A separate car unit suits you and your caching style.

Can we be done now in this rather predictable consumer testing exercise? :)

PS Yes you can edit the main menu, there's a very simple drag and drop interface under setup..main menu.

PPS The Oregon accuracy is fine. I've found over 2000 caches with mine, I can think of two drift issues.

The setup you mention....unless you can edit the main menu (which I've yet to find out how) so that the list is in the order I would rather see, I can't find this unit to be simpler than the PN-40 was. Your procedure lacks the automotive view (where the maps are set up to look like a Nuvi or other car unit would), which is what I would like to see anytime I am routing to the cache. The only way to do this (as I have seen thus far, maybe I'm still missing something?) is to change profiles which is outlined in the procedures I posted in the OR/PN-40 thread.

Roddy,

Under "Setup" -> "Map" -> "Orientation", you can set any of you profiles to be in Automotive mode. Other GPS units call it 3D view as opposed to 2D view. As BetaMan and Maingray were stating, you can re-arrange the main menus pretty easily so that the things you use the most are on either the first or 2nd page. Makes things a LOT easier to use. I agree that if you use the defaults, it's pretty hard to navigate around.

JetSkier

So conclusion.

You like the PN-40 as it has better imagery. A separate car unit suits you and your caching style.

PS Yes you can edit the main menu, there's a very simple drag and drop interface under setup..main menu.

PPS The Oregon accuracy is fine. I've found over 2000 caches with mine, I can think of two drift issues.

You seem to have summed it up, but I think we can handle allowing me to play around with this a bit longer, can't we?? :D I wouldn't say this was predictable since I did go in with an open mind and DID try to like this unit (and still am trying to make it work so I like it as a matter of fact). I'll try (again) the drag and drop menu change, didn't seem to work the first time though (but am still learning stuff here soooo....).

As for accuracy, my findings say otherwise and I am the one it has to prove itself to. I am happy yours doesn't seem to have the problem mine is giving me, but that's not helping me at this time! I did not make up the fact we were dancing like drunken bees at the majority of the hunts, my comments stand!

Roddy,

Under "Setup" -> "Map" -> "Orientation", you can set any of you profiles to be in Automotive mode. Other GPS units call it 3D view as opposed to 2D view. As BetaMan and Maingray were stating, you can re-arrange the main menus pretty easily so that the things you use the most are on either the first or 2nd page. Makes things a LOT easier to use. I agree that if you use the defaults, it's pretty hard to navigate around.

JetSkier

WOOHOO, I figured out the drop and drag and have edite the main menu!! I was hitting the one I wanted to change and holding it expecting it would drag to where I wanted it...had to hit the spot I wanted it to go which then switched the tile with the one in the place I chose! I will have to play with it a bit, probably tonight when I go to do some maintenance work on my caches!! Will report back as I experience!

Yes you can edit the main menu, there's a very simple drag and drop interface under setup..main menu.

I'll try (again) the drag and drop menu change, didn't seem to work the first time though (but am still learning stuff here soooo....).

On mine you select an icon, and then select another one and they switch locations. Not sure if this is how its always been done. I'm currently on v 3.10.

Yes you can edit the main menu, there's a very simple drag and drop interface under setup..main menu.

I'll try (again) the drag and drop menu change, didn't seem to work the first time though (but am still learning stuff here soooo....).

On mine you select an icon, and then select another one and they switch locations. Not sure if this is how its always been done. I'm currently on v 3.10.

Somewhere between the 2.8 and 3.10 releases (during the beta phase), the main menu setup interface changed. It used to be that you selected the one you wanted to move and then you had to continuously select the up or down arrow to get it where you want it. It was a pain but the new interface is really good!

JetSkier

..and hit the trash can to hide the icon. Saves scrolling on the main screen. Make a custom set of icons for each profile e.g. do you really need the waypoint averaging icon for automotive mode?

No problems RR, I've seen the method of conveniently losing a fave unit, trying out a competitor in order to just trash it publicly, on various other hardware forums (eg camera forums) before.. Seems a very bizarre behavior. The Pn-40 and ORs are both great units, I would easily use either of them.

No problems RR, I've seen the method of conveniently losing a fave unit, trying out a competitor in order to just trash it publicly, on various other hardware forums (eg camera forums) before.. Seems a very bizarre behavior. The Pn-40 and ORs are both great units, I would easily use either of them.

You can believe whatever you wish Maingray, but this is NOT what I have been doing nor was that the idea when I purchased the OR. If you think I "conveniently" lost my PN-40, just before a vacation, going through the emotional ride I have just been on, THINK AGAIN! I don't even like the tone of that implication, so if you want to chat about the unit, FINE. DON'T make insinuations of this nature or I'll simply ignore you! THANKS!

I too find that behavior odd and, even worse, a TOTAL waste of time. I am NOT in the habit of wasting MY time, nor do I have the need to trash anything! I think I have been MORE than fair in my postings here! If I merely wished to trash the unit, I would NOT be wasting yet more time trying to get the unit to work as many have said it would!

Sorry, but your post has left a very bad taste in my mouth!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Which is why I bought it up. I dont think that is what you did, nor did I say it that I thought you did.

Anyway, yeh the latest non-Beta may help you out on the bee dance. But give it a whirl and see.

One other tip maybe... holding the Oregon flat? I think the way the antenna are aligned mean you'll need to hold this flat, compared to the upwards of the PN40. I prefer it flat anyway so can see the screen detail better.

Which is why I bought it up. I dont think that is what you did, nor did I say it that I thought you did.

Anyway, yeh the latest non-Beta may help you out on the bee dance. But give it a whirl and see.

One other tip maybe... holding the Oregon flat? I think the way the antenna are aligned mean you'll need to hold this flat, compared to the upwards of the PN40. I prefer it flat anyway so can see the screen detail better.

That was another issue I had with the OR, I don't like it telling me to "hold it flat" as it often did. With the PN, I could hold it facing downward, sideways, straight up...anyway I was comfortable. I could even stick it in my pocket and not have signal loss in most cases. Not teh OR, better hold that puppy flat or else!

I am using the latest updates!!

That was another issue I had with the OR, I don't like it telling me to "hold it flat" as it often did. With the PN, I could hold it facing downward, sideways, straight up...anyway I was comfortable. I could even stick it in my pocket and not have signal loss in most cases. Not teh OR, better hold that puppy flat or else!

The "flat" is only for the compass. It has nothing to do with the GPS. Turn the compass off, they are garbage. It will work better with it off.

The "flat" is only for the compass. It has nothing to do with the GPS. Turn the compass off, they are garbage. It will work better with it off.

Will try this!! However, I do like the compass and used it often on my PN! :)

So conclusion.

Hmmmm Never saw this come up before when it was the other way around. :D

It comes down to what I previously stated in another thread this really boils down to personal perferences. What works for one, does not necessarily mean it's going to work for another. Ease is in the perception of the individual.

Edited by TotemLake

Will try this!! However, I do like the compass and used it often on my PN! :)

The PN-40 has a 3-axis compass. I believe the only Oregon that does is the 550. It would be interesting to see how the 550 compares to the PN-40 in compass operation.

Will try this!! However, I do like the compass and used it often on my PN! :D

The PN-40 has a 3-axis compass. I believe the only Oregon that does is the 550. It would be interesting to see how the 550 compares to the PN-40 in compass operation.

If it's like the one on the dakota, which based on what I've read it is, then they are quite comperable, with the Garmin compass being somewhat more dampend (Rotates smoother and slower). Unfortunately, from what I've read the 550 compass has some of the calibration issues I've been having with the Dakota 20

...the Oregon 300 I was using certainly had us doing the drunken bee dance on more than 75% of the searches....

I've never had a GPS that didn't have you do the hula waive / DBD if you wanted to find ground zero when you are close to the cache. The Oregon is no different here.

One thing that drove me nuts until I figured out the issue is the compass. I'd have the needle point the wrong way to the cache and I'd be getting farther from the cache. I finally figured out that you absolutly have to calabrate the compass every time you change the batteries. Once I did that it stabilized quite a bit.

You are dead on on the screen. It's tolerable. Garmin knows better so it must be what they can do to have the touch screen at this point with current screen tech.

You are right about the maps. I don't like switching and would rather have them combined.

Becasue of the touch screen most things are about 3 keystrokes from doing. Different organization on doing things than my old GPS.

I may watch for a sale on the Delorme (egads those colors are garish) and kick the tires on their maps.

I may try that.

About the DBD

There has been a cascade of beta updates to the Oregon. Not all of them were good.

The latest non beta version is now 3.10.

To me that seems to be a fairly good version.

I will recommend you to try that one.

GPS is updated to the latest and greatest non-beta!

RR,

Try the newest beta 3.13 on the gps. It includes an update for the GPS firmware to 3.70. It has been working good on my Oregon.

David

Have a new PN-40se and am back in action! WAAS locked right in the house while at my computer the first time I fired it up and has locked several times since, mostly while indoors!! Loaded maps for MI, OH, IN and IL on it without even denting my memory capacity, I love that (no card yet either, all internal), also loaded 500 caches (PQ0 and made sure the send to worked properly!

One problem I see is the routing...I can autoroute to all the caches on my unit save the last one which is a few hundred miles away....it seems to get hung up and won't complete the calculations. I am going to try it again after loading it with my prem membership (I loaded it with send to on a non-prem mem for a test). Other than that, I am LOVING my new ORANGE!!

Oh, and the OR seems to have some issues so I am going to return it and see if they won't let me out the door with a new one to test for a bit longer!!

Let's see if this works OK...here is a track I exported from my PN-40 to the T8 software track

I was wondering how accurate the tracking was on the new unit, so I uploaded it to the T8 software and checked it out...not too bad! Can anyone venture a guess as to just what I was doing?? :P

There's more to the track, it was a home and back, I just included this shot of it! All roads and track info lined up pretty good on my T8, seems pretty consistant!

Let's see if this works OK...here is a track I exported from my PN-40 to the T8 software track

I was wondering how accurate the tracking was on the new unit, so I uploaded it to the T8 software and checked it out...not too bad! Can anyone venture a guess as to just what I was doing?? :lol:

There's more to the track, it was a home and back, I just included this shot of it! All roads and track info lined up pretty good on my T8, seems pretty consistant!

It's too late for Easter egg hunts. :P

I was wondering how accurate the tracking was on the new unit, so I uploaded it to the T8 software and checked it out...not too bad! Can anyone venture a guess as to just what I was doing?? :)

It's too late for Easter egg hunts. :lol:

:P

I work at a golf course and took my PN-40 with me this morning to check it out some more....I was mowing the greens!

I was wondering how accurate the tracking was on the new unit, so I uploaded it to the T8 software and checked it out...not too bad! Can anyone venture a guess as to just what I was doing?? :)

It's too late for Easter egg hunts. :lol:

:P

I work at a golf course and took my PN-40 with me this morning to check it out some more....I was mowing the greens!

Ah, I failed to count the circles! Ha!

...anyone venture a guess as to just what I was doing?? :P
That's funny :lol:

I did notice the little knotted circles and wondered what you had been up to. But I didn't notice you had specifically challenged anyone to guess until I came back here to comment on it.

I found it not by "guessing," but by querying Google Maps for some of the landmarks shown in DeLorme map (shepherd road, dogwood drive, harkness drain):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...=16&iwloc=A

How does the track look overlaid on aerial imagery?

Edited by lee_rimar
...;anyone venture a guess as to just what I was doing?? :P
That's funny :lol:

I did notice the little knotted circles and wondered what you had been up to. But I didn't notice you had specifically challenged anyone to guess until I came back here to comment on it.

I found it not by "guessing," but by querying Google Maps for some of the landmarks shown in DeLorme map (shepherd road, dogwood drive, harkness drain):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...=16&iwloc=A

How does the track look overlaid on aerial imagery?

Good eye, Lee!! Way to pick up on the landmarks, I wondered if anyone would try to check GE for help!

High aerial

Looks good in this first picture, it seems fairly close. But...

Closer aerial

See where I must have gone through the barn and even glanced the corner of the clubhouse? Clubhouse is the easternmost one.

Last one

Here you can see the lines just don't quite jive with the layout. Is it due to the aerial or the GPS?? I would have to guess the GPS, but it is pretty close in most areas.

...the lines just don't quite jive with the layout. Is it due to the aerial or the GPS?? I would have to guess the GPS, but it is pretty close in most areas
Yeah, I'd agree. The GPS is doing some track smoothing - taking a guess on where some of the points should be on your track rather than what the fix was at that instant. The data recorded by the GPS before smoothing was probably a bit more of a jagged line in those spots. Edited by lee_rimar

Last night was terrible, I am still in shock. My beloved ORANGE was lost when I STUPIDLY lef the danged thing sitting on the hood of my Jeep after doing maintenance on a few caches. A long and thorough search leads me to believe someone is now the proud owner of my toy...not even pieces of it were found.

Anyway, I am supposed to leave on vacation (a camp/cache vacation at that) Thursday AM, so I am very short on time...and money. I would love to buy DeLorme again, but things aren't looking good at this time, the PN-40 is pretty much out of my buying range and I don't think the loal store has the PN-30 yet? With that in mind, I am wide open to options.

I have around $300 to spend, but cannot buy online as I don't have the time to get it in (do I???)...what would others recommend??

Units I am considering are the CO or Dakota from Garmin, both seem within my buying range? Anything else I might be interested in?

One question I have about the Dakota, is it a good unit? Will it keep sat lock and does it have "drift" problems like the other Garmins seem to have?

Question about the CO, has the issues been fixed or is there still a lot of bugs with this unit? I don't want or need to have problems to work around while trying to have a fun vacation...

Question about both units, MAPS. I know, many have stated getting maps free for the Garmins is the way to go, but I want routing maps. Can I get free routing maps for either or both units and are the maps easy to load??

This is your chance to sway me into buying (gasp) Garmin, what arguments can you give to get me into one? please, I am far past screen size, aerial imagery and all the normal arguments, let's keep focused on a FAST solution please! I will be heading to Cabela's this evening hopefully to buy the new unit of my dreams. If I can't get the info I need, I will likely have to cut the vacation short and spend the extra to buy DeLorme again!