My loss, a chance to sway me?

Last night was terrible, I am still in shock. My beloved ORANGE was lost when I STUPIDLY lef the danged thing sitting on the hood of my Jeep after doing maintenance on a few caches. A long and thorough search leads me to believe someone is now the proud owner of my toy...not even pieces of it were found.

Anyway, I am supposed to leave on vacation (a camp/cache vacation at that) Thursday AM, so I am very short on time...and money. I would love to buy DeLorme again, but things aren't looking good at this time, the PN-40 is pretty much out of my buying range and I don't think the loal store has the PN-30 yet? With that in mind, I am wide open to options.

I have around $300 to spend, but cannot buy online as I don't have the time to get it in (do I???)...what would others recommend??

Units I am considering are the CO or Dakota from Garmin, both seem within my buying range? Anything else I might be interested in?

One question I have about the Dakota, is it a good unit? Will it keep sat lock and does it have "drift" problems like the other Garmins seem to have?

Question about the CO, has the issues been fixed or is there still a lot of bugs with this unit? I don't want or need to have problems to work around while trying to have a fun vacation...

Question about both units, MAPS. I know, many have stated getting maps free for the Garmins is the way to go, but I want routing maps. Can I get free routing maps for either or both units and are the maps easy to load??

This is your chance to sway me into buying (gasp) Garmin, what arguments can you give to get me into one? please, I am far past screen size, aerial imagery and all the normal arguments, let's keep focused on a FAST solution please! I will be heading to Cabela's this evening hopefully to buy the new unit of my dreams. If I can't get the info I need, I will likely have to cut the vacation short and spend the extra to buy DeLorme again!

Well, I'm new to caching only a few months and maybe 30 finds so what do I know....

I have a Garmin, Colorado 400t, that I added a sim card and also got the 2010 Navigator street maps and loaded the whole country...

I put all the latest patches and updates on my 400 that were not "Beta" and it seems to run fine... Eats Batteries pretty quick, so I always keep 4-6 extras in my pack...

I don't really think I can sway you either way... You either like them and want one, or you don't...

With the exception of the ""Paperless Geocaching"" feature, I think they all work pretty much the same...

I've not used other GPS with the Geocaching site, so I'm not sure if they are as easy as one click to download a cache... I just plug my Garmin into the USB hub and hit Send to GPS and its pretty much done...

All I can say is I really like mine and trust it... Even in dense cover, it always leads me to within feet of the cache... If I lost or damaged mine and hadd to buy another one, I'd get another 400t...

As others have suggested, You should really get what you want. If you want another PN-40, then that's what you should get, otherwise you will [probably] not be happy with what you get.

Don't be afraid to call vendors and talk to real people. You might be amazed by what they can do for you. Free overnight shipping, third party delivery (to someone at your destination), potential in-person pickup...

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois

I'm open to all options, but would like info on the two I mentioned above please! :anibad: Anyone have the answers to the questions I posed in the OP?

TL, already got one in shopping cart and know the final price with one day, THANKS!! I'll likely buy another DeLorme unless I see reason to do otherwise.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

RR, from the Garmin page, both the CO and Dakota come with the worldwide basemap, which does not appear to be autoroutable like the Americas basemap (which functions, but is limited in detail). I've not seen any of the free maps that are frequently mentioned (gpsfiledepot) as being routable. But someone can correct me on that one. So with these two GPSers, you'd also have to get a routing map product, sold seperately of course. However, loading maps to these units is easy, provided you have the time to download and upload many MBs to the GPS.

I'm open to all options, but would like info on the two I mentioned above please! :anibad: Anyone have the answers to the questions I posed in the OP?

TL, already got one in shopping cart and know the final price with one day, THANKS!! I'll likely buy another DeLorme unless I see reason to do otherwise.

I'm just not THAT impressed with the others to consider losing out on the aerials.

By the way, I wouldn't wait too long to pull the trigger. Amazon's area of operations is in Seattle. Fed-Ex pickup deadline is 4PM.

Edited by TotemLake

Well Roddy, if you like to root for the underdog ( :anibad: ) then have a look at the Lowrance Enduras, they're hitting the store shelves now!

However, you're not giving yourself much time to "learn" a new Brand/Model if you wanna be using it by Thursday.. do you want to use the new purchase for auto-routing your vacation?

.. and how 'bout the PN-20?? Ok it's a step back from the 40 (or 30) but youve been beating a pretty huge drum about how great it is

Roddy, sorry to hear about your loss, that's a bummer, especially considering you really loved your PN-40.

Regarding drift, I think you'd find the Oregon series to behave virtually identically to your PN-40, with about the same amount of drift and wandering in reception issue areas. The Colorado behaves more like the h series E-trex units and will drift and wander a little more, possibly exhibit somewhat less stable a position fix than what you’re used to.

Map wise, I think you’d really be impressed if you got the chance to use Garmins high res topo, or street routing software, but there isn’t any way you’d be able to make that work on your budget. You’re kind of looking for a prime rib dinner on a happy meal budget. Personally I’d think you’d stick to what makes you happy since you found something that kept you excited up until the tragic event.

Once again, sorry to hear about your loss. Too bad you’re not closer by or we could work out a good deal on the PN-40 I’ve put on the shelf.

Dude, you've read most of the opinions concerning gps choices. Including the thread about - Should you listen to gps opinions posted on this site.

You want a Hail Mary play? Buy a Garmin.

Dude, you've read most of the opinions concerning gps choices. Including the thread about - Should you listen to gps opinions posted on this site.

BD, THANKS for the best laugh I've had all day!!! Hang on, I might have some news soon... B)

BD, THANKS for the best laugh I've had all day!!! Hang on, I might have some news soon... B)

Don't think about it, do it!

Well Roddy, if you like to root for the underdog ( :anibad: ) then have a look at the Lowrance Enduras, they're hitting the store shelves now!

However, you're not giving yourself much time to "learn" a new Brand/Model if you wanna be using it by Thursday.. do you want to use the new purchase for auto-routing your vacation?

.. and how 'bout the PN-20?? Ok it's a step back from the 40 (or 30) but youve been beating a pretty huge drum about how great it is

Not for routing, which is what I would want from a unit. Other than that, yes, I would agree the PN-20 IS a good unit! B)

I love my Oregon 400t. (I did have a pn-40 for a week in December). If I were doing it again, I'd buy the OR300 from Amazon for $358 and download the free gpsfiledepot for your topos. I find them to be just as detailed as the 400t's preloaded topo maps. Then (at your leisure) I'd spring for Citi Navigator. Trust me - you'll love it and it's superior auto routing. You will also love the "profiles" feature on the Oregon.

Either way, good luck with your decision.

Hmm.. anyway.

Question about both units, MAPS. I know, many have stated getting maps free for the Garmins is the way to go, but I want routing maps. Can I get free routing maps for either or both units and are the maps easy to load??

Not for the US no. You will need to get City Navigator which will likely exceed the cost of a PN-40.

You can't get equivalently good non-topo based routing maps for the PN-40 either.

If I were you I'd buy a PN-20, and ask delorme for some commission for all the forum posts you make, and let them buy you a PN-40 :anibad:

Wouldn't worldwide routing cover some part of the US? http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

But if I were you, I'd just get a replacement PN-40 and a new data card. Go with what you know.

I love my Oregon 400t. (I did have a pn-40 for a week in December). If I were doing it again, I'd buy the OR300 from Amazon for $358 and download the free gpsfiledepot for your topos. I find them to be just as detailed as the 400t's preloaded topo maps. Then (at your leisure) I'd spring for Citi Navigator. Trust me - you'll love it and it's superior auto routing. You will also love the "profiles" feature on the Oregon.

Either way, good luck with your decision.

The guy I bought my Oregon 400t from sold it to "upgrade" to a PN-40. Just 6.5 months later, he sold his PN-40 to buy another Oregon 400t... He didn't even try for the newer Oregon 550t... That tells me something, but it might not fit with everyone else...

Roddy,

Garmin's City Navigator leaves the PN's in the dust if you compare the two for road routing.

You could cheat.....

Get a PN-20 and a low end Nuvi. Then you'd have all the bases covered and still be under budget.

Plus if you lose one, you still have a GPS. :)

Edited by Woodstramp

Roddy,

Garmin's City Navigator leaves the PN's in the dust if you compare the two for road routing.

You could cheat.....

Get a PN-20 and a low end Nuvi. Then you'd have all the bases covered and still be under budget.

I thought about that route, it's a viable option!

I havee seen some really kind offers and am just amazed at how the forums banded together to try to help me in this troubled times, THANK YOU ALL. You know who you are, give yourselves a hardly slap on the back from me! ;) I think this nightmare has been resolved and the trip is a GO! I will update this thread as soon as I return, maybe with a few pics as well!!!

I leave either later this evening or tomorrow morning, kayaking, caching and friends...time to refuel those spent batteries!! B)B)

Roddy,

You could cheat.....

I thought about that route, it's a viable option!

I havee seen some really kind offers and am just amazed at how the forums banded together to try to help me in this troubled times, THANK YOU ALL. You know who you are, give yourselves a hardly slap on the back from me! ;) I think this nightmare has been resolved and the trip is a GO! I will update this thread as soon as I return, maybe with a few pics as well!!!

I leave either later this evening or tomorrow morning, kayaking, caching and friends...time to refuel those spent batteries!! B)B)

What did you get?

Here's how it's gone so far...bought a demo Garmin Oregon 300 and CN with the intention of returning it afterwards (and even explained this to the clerk at Cabela's lol, she was fine with that), but I have already sold the unit to a friend who was looking for one and found the offer too good to be passed up! I basically have rented the unit for the vacation.

I will update further when I return home from vacation...there is more to the story!! :);)

That's great luck Roddy :) this gives you a good chance to test the Garmin touchscreen waters and get a feel for how it works, with CN software too!

..we expect a FULL uncensored & unbiased report of your observation on the Oregon as soon as you get back ;)

You know I will, I can't wait to put it through the test! One thing I have told a few of you, I am honest and give honest evaluations of my experiences...this will be no different! My first gripes...what's up with the send to function?? Worked great on my DeLorme PN-40 but can't get it to work with the Garmin OR?? Also, how do you tell how many caches you've loaded? I liked how DeLorme gave you the numbers, where's this info on the Garmin? Oh, and don't let anyone fool you, this screen is NOT very good for viewing as far as I've noticed! Honest thoughts I have had so far!

I have a secret though, I want to be sure I can announce it here before I post it...stay tuned!! B) B)

KAboom just came home, we're packing and just might pull out this afternoon!!

ETA: I have wanted to test a Garmin product (OR, CO or whatever) for some time now, just so I COULD give honest feedback when comparing...I got my chance!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Roddy, I will be eagerly watching for your comments. I am still trying to decide between the PN-40 and some flavor of Oregon, and in fact I have changed my mind twice in the last three days.

But first things first. Enjoy your vacation :) and post comments when you are able.

Edited by jeanne123

That's great luck Roddy :) this gives you a good chance to test the Garmin touchscreen waters and get a feel for how it works, with CN software too!

..we expect a FULL uncensored & unbiased report of your observation on the Oregon as soon as you get back ;)

You know I will, I can't wait to put it through the test! One thing I have told a few of you, I am honest and give honest evaluations of my experiences...this will be no different! My first gripes...what's up with the send to function?? Worked great on my DeLorme PN-40 but can't get it to work with the Garmin OR?? Also, how do you tell how many caches you've loaded? I liked how DeLorme gave you the numbers, where's this info on the Garmin? Oh, and don't let anyone fool you, this screen is NOT very good for viewing as far as I've noticed! Honest thoughts I have had so far!

I have a secret though, I want to be sure I can announce it here before I post it...stay tuned!! B) B)

ETA: I have wanted to test a Garmin product (OR, CO or whatever) for some time now, just so I COULD give honest feedback when comparing...I got my chance!

You might have to uninstall the Send to GPS for the DeLorme.

You might have to uninstall the Send to GPS for the DeLorme.

The deLorme plugin work with the DeLorme, you need the Garmin plugin for the Garmin. Get it here:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

But... you can always just copy a PQ over to the /gpx folder on the unit without the plugin...

OK, back in my own thread....I've finally figured out how to load the free maps and successfully loaded them to the OR and have even had them show up on the unit. However, first time I asked the unit to route me to a cache, it reverted back to the CN and stays on CN until I turn CN off. But, first time I try to get it to route, I have to turn CN back on and then switch to road route when the CN maps again take over. Can't I see the topo maps and have CN in the background??

I'd tell you my first impressions of this unit, but I am trying hard to be open-minded...

OK, back in my own thread....I've finally figured out how to load the free maps and successfully loaded them to the OR and have even had them show up on the unit. However, first time I asked the unit to route me to a cache, it reverted back to the CN and stays on CN until I turn CN off. But, first time I try to get it to route, I have to turn CN back on and then switch to road route when the CN maps again take over. Can't I see the topo maps and have CN in the background??

I'd tell you my first impressions of this unit, but I am trying hard to be open-minded...

Interesting. This sounds like ordinary learning curve to me. Which should put to rest the myth about the DeLorme units being harder to learn than the Garmins. Probably one is not harder than the other, they are just different. :)

Edited by jeanne123

Routing is great with this unit, I do like the way it switches to automotive mode...but that is (so far) about the only thing that's impressed me on this unit! I find the screen difficult at best to view even with the backlight on full blast, I can't stand the having to turn off maps to get to any other screen...I don't know, it's just "different".

As for learning curve, you hit it right on the head there Jeanne, it's not hard, just different and I wouldn't say the PN is any harder than this unit to learn. Now, had this been my first GPS, I would be going bonkers right now trying to get it figured out!

as for those free maps, not impressed with the one I loaded...really not impressed with CN at all. I am glad i won't be keeping this unit, it's jst not my pretty orange!

Oh, one more thing that I like is the touchscreen, it is nice, but not nice enough to sway me to keeping a much more expensive unit that doesn't do much more than the PN...

More when I return from the trip!!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

.......really not impressed with CN at all. I am glad i won't be keeping this unit, it's jst not my pretty orange!

More when I return from the trip!!!

Roddy, you actually have to get out and use the maps to appreciate them. The CN maps are generally at least 5 years more current, and considerably more accurate in a great many areas. Put in a few thousand road miles and see what you think. You'll love the improvement.

OK, here are some of the observations I have made after a few days of caching and routing:

Maps...hate them. Having to switch between maps (or profiles for that matter) to see the maps I have loaded is a pain. When routing, the maps are as plain as they get, nothing but lines and flat background. The topo I loaded looked good, but I don't like having to switch profiles or disable the CN tosee it, a pain.

Profiles....I like one thing about the profiles, that' the automotive mode it goes into when on that profile. If I were buying a GPS for routing as my primary concern, this would be perfect....or save hundreds and buy a Nuvi? I'm wanting to use my GPS for caching, so routing isn't highest priority, just a good bonus.

Routing...while I think this is this units strong point, it is far from flawless and, if I were not in a Jeep on one of the "roads" this unit directed me to follow, I would likely still be stuck out there in sand up to my frame. Truth be told, this unit put me on more false turns and mistaken routes in the first day's useage than I had noticed with my PN-40 under similar circumstances. I do like the way it gives you more info on turns and such, but again, if I were worried about routing that much, I'd buy a Nuvi!

Drunken Bee Dance....haven't had to do this for some time, sad to see I did a LOT of the DBD while searching out caches. Maybe I needed to calibrate the compass more often than I did or something, but the compass arrow seldomly pointed me toward the right direction when within 50' or so of GZ. I was pretty fed up with the DBD by the 6th or 7th cache, then was pretty much used to it by the 12th or so... The unit did put me on the mark a few times in the 20 or so caches we found, but even KAboom (my teen son) noticed the spinning and backtracking we were doing and stated his displeasure. KAboom is as unbiased as you can get in this and he told me he liked the unt because of the touchscreen, but the DeLorme definitely was the better unit (those were KAboom's thoughts).

Screen...with backlight on full blast, you can see the screen decently enough for usage, but it surely is a far cry from crystal clear! I liked the touchscreen functions, but the layout of the unit made the multiple tappings a pain in the rear IMHO. I disliked that I felt the need to clean the screen every couple of caches, those fingerprints do show. Bigger screen, but there are trade-offs IMHO.

Ease of use....RIGHT!!! This thing was not that simple to figure out, just glad I knew my way around a GPS before attempting this one. I met up with a friend who just bought the 550T to replace her 60CSx; I showed her a few tricks and she had owned hers longer and had experience with Garmins (only units she's ever bought). The need to flip through the menu to find this function or that, then having to flip through more to make changes...a pain! I hated the need to go to profile changes, pick the profile to route me then repeat when I came to wanting to find the cache. Changing from road routing to hiking wasn't any easier either, you still needed to flip through the menu then make a few more taps to get it set the way you wanted. I truly don't see the benefit of the profiles when changing them is such a pain. (I know, it sounds like a lot of work when it's really only a few clicks, but it is more work than on the PN).

Paperless....logging the finds on this is not any easier than on the PN series, the small keypad means fatfinger mistakes for me! I found I was backing up often to fix a mistake, and I really hated the need to hit the screen three times to put a space between the words...OUCH! Shortcuts are needed (if there isn't any that I wish I had known about??), this layout was not ideal IMHO! I haven't uploaded the field notes yet, will add more thoughts after that experience! Not sure why, but I couldn't get any logs on the unit which made for a few DNF when combined with the DBD we encountered often.

I'm sure I have more thoughts and will post them as I remember them. I truly tried to keep an open mind on this, but I must say that I would NOT want to be keeping this unit!! I might entertain buying a Nuvi for the routing though... I am glad I had the PN experience before I bought this unit, I would likely think this unit is GREAT, and it is a good unit. I happen to prefer the DeLorme PN-40 much more than this though. Those who badmouth the maps, CN is a disgrace IMHO, DeLorme has a better map right in the box!

Oh yeah....my comment made to KAboom on the second day of full caching usage was "I would like to throw this thing against a tree and watch it shatter into pieces". A later comment was "I want to toss this under the tires and watch it flatten"...I was that discouraged with the performance of it.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I hate to say this, but it really sounds like you do not know how to use the GPS..... I would suggest hooking up with someone that knows what they are doing. Or get a Colorado. They are nicer to use, work better and cost a lot less.

Do tell? ;) I would be the first to say this thing has a large learning curve and I am not even scratching the surface of everything I would need to learn. Interestingly enough, in the same span of finds, I was pretty much knowledged in how to use the PN-40, was still picking up tips here and there of course. Also, the PN had features come along during my usage which made the unit easier to use than as I was learning.

I am hoping there are many shortcuts and such that'd make this unit easier to use, I just haven't learned them yet... anyone wanting to shoot me tips and tricks, i would try them as I get the chance! I will have this unit a few more days, so I would like to try to give a fair comparison if possible!

And TAR, I am far past the capabilities of the 60 series, paperless is just too good to go back from!! :wub::P

One plus the Oregon has is the battery life is far better than the PN-40, maybe twice as good depending on the battery used. If I were worried about battery life (back-country hiker etc) and didn't like carrying a few spare sets of batteries, I might be inclined to like the Oregon better. Fortunately for me, the power kit battery and charging it while driving between caches works great! I have drained the battery pak a few times while kayaking, but it'll last around 8 hours if turned off when not needed like during a lunch break or such. I hear the Duracell HD rechargeables give 11 hours of usage, but I like plugging in more, so I'll stick with the power kit.

The look of the unit is nice too, it has a sleek design which gives it a "techy" feel. Fits nicely in my hand. I liked the 'biner too, I wasn't apt to forget a unit hooked to my beltloop!

All in all, I would say the Garmin is a good unit, it has some nice features (would like to check out the wireless transfer thingy once)! It does have issues with drift and accuracy which I found annoying and I did think it was trickier to use than the PN-40 which is opposite of what others have stated? I never felt the urge to shatter my PN-40... And don't get me started up again on those maps! :)

Can't wait to get my hands on a PN-40 again!!! :D:laughing:

Do you think possibly that the fact that you are used to the PN-40 might sway you some? The things you described about the Oregon, I haven't experienced with my Oregon 400t (other than the drift in earlier versions of the firmware). It puts me right on the caches. And I have had 7 GPSr units and this one HANDS DOWN is the easiest to use due to the touch screen.

The Oregon and the PN-40 BOTH use the same GPS chipset, so accuracy should be pretty even. I have used many GPSr's and the Oregon is EASILY the best unit out there IMHO!

One plus the Oregon has is the battery life is far better than the PN-40, maybe twice as good depending on the battery used. If I were worried about battery life (back-country hiker etc)

What's the big deal with battery life for back-country hikers, anyway?

Last week I met a couple of backpackers up on the Pacific Crest Trail with no GPS whatsoever! :)

Do you think possibly that the fact that you are used to the PN-40 might sway you some? The things you described about the Oregon, I haven't experienced with my Oregon 400t (other than the drift in earlier versions of the firmware). It puts me right on the caches. And I have had 7 GPSr units and this one HANDS DOWN is the easiest to use due to the touch screen.

The Oregon and the PN-40 BOTH use the same GPS chipset, so accuracy should be pretty even. I have used many GPSr's and the Oregon is EASILY the best unit out there IMHO!

I might have thought that, but my son is as unbiased as they come and he told me the PN was "a much better GPS". I am not giving anything but honest experiences here and I can tell you wholeheartedly that the Oregon 300 I was using certainly had us doing the drunken bee dance on more than 75% of the searches. We even stopped searching for a few because we were used to the unit putting us as far as 50' off (could have been hider error, but on the majority of hides??).

As for the routing, I was shocked to see it tell us take a 2 track and even more shocked it actually gave the lane a road name (never once saw a road sign either, so no idea if it was the right name or not lol). I couldn't have been more shocked though to see the road disappear into a deep set of ruts in sand. We were being told to drive up driveways as if these were roads too, but the PN-40 has done this a few times as well.