NUVI 500

gobogey

I am looking to get my first GPS and came across this one. It has all the maps in it already (street and topo). Does anybody else use a nuvi??? how versitile are these??

thanks

The Nuvi is a great auto GPS. However, I just returned a Nuvi 500. It worked great in the car, but not so good under tree cover when geocaching. The compass was all over the place. Not very good reception under tree cover, otherwise a good unit out in open areas.

I am looking to get my first GPS and came across this one. It has all the maps in it already (street and topo). Does anybody else use a nuvi??? how versitile are these??

thanks

If you've been looking for a single GPS solution for the car, hiking, bicycle, and possibly boat, the nüvi 500 is the best option to date. The paperless geocaching is a nice feature. You can use other nuvis for geocaching, but this one makes it easy to view caches. Using garmin's communicator, you can d/l caches to your unit. You then can view the cache info, such as difficulty, terrain, hints and such. The geocaches show up on your map while driving, so you can observe caches nearby.

I love my new Garmin. It is the first GPS I have ever purchased. I bought it mainly to geocache and it has been pretty good to me. It's great because it is quick to transition from either driving to hiking mode. Love the touch screen. :anibad:

can I ask, what kind did you get???

I'm trying out a Oregon 300. Not very happy with this unit either, when under tree cover and geocaching. Compass seems to go crazy when you get close to the cache. (using software v. 3.10 and compass calibrated).I looked at a Lowrance Endura Out & Back yesterday at a local store and was very impressed. Nice bright screen and good feature set. If it works well under tree cover, I will go with it. I have had two Lowrance models before and loved them. They seem to be less flakey than Garmin units. (Don't have or need constant updates to software and hardware).