thre arent enough regular caches!

TRBof4

This weekend we went looking for a home for our visiting travel bugs. We picked them up after thay had sat at their previous destination for a VERY long time, there were multiple bugs in each of the containers but we chose just one from each. We still have them, unfortunately all of the caches we visited were too small for the bugs, well maybe not the bugs themselves but the items they are attatched to. Even some were listed as a medium cache proved to be no more than a long skinny tube with a log inside. I may have to make a cache just to place them to get them moving again. We are starting to notice that here in the Houston area apparently the micros are the most commonly placed cache. It would be nice if maybe instead of just placing micros atleast every tenth one could be a container big enough for a bug, no wonder they arent moving here!

When I review my stats I often wonder why I bother to pick up bugs:

Micro 1295 47.9 %

Regular 599 22.2 %

Small 507 18.7 %

Not chosen 187 6.93 %

Other 74 2.74 %

Virtual 25 0.92 %

Large 11 0.40 %

I try to avoid putting a bug in a multi or mystery, since they don't get as many visits.

And there have been plenty of days when I haven't found a single regular. :anitongue:

thre arent enough regular caches!
I may have to make a cache just to place them to get them moving again.

Sounds like you provided the solution yourself. You should do it.

Make a bug travel lodge - with no restrictions. If your area is infested with micros & no places for trackables you will be helping the whole caching community.

I have two ammo cans ready to go, but every time I spot a likely hide there's some smaller cache too close by. I think we're approaching saturation around here. The only place to put these monsters is in the big parks or out of town.

Our homeless situation means we lose quite a few of these, too. They'll squirrel up for the night in what would otherwise be prime hides.

This weekend we went looking for a home for our visiting travel bugs. We picked them up after thay had sat at their previous destination for a VERY long time, there were multiple bugs in each of the containers but we chose just one from each. We still have them, unfortunately all of the caches we visited were too small for the bugs, well maybe not the bugs themselves but the items they are attatched to. Even some were listed as a medium cache proved to be no more than a long skinny tube with a log inside. I may have to make a cache just to place them to get them moving again. We are starting to notice that here in the Houston area apparently the micros are the most commonly placed cache. It would be nice if maybe instead of just placing micros atleast every tenth one could be a container big enough for a bug, no wonder they arent moving here!

Is there one you already have found nearby? I use a few local ones to drop off TBs if I find that I might not be going caching for awhile or have a bug I want to get on it's way. I just go visit it and drop them off as a "write note" feature in the log. Place a cache yourself and use it as a TB hotel.

Sadly, I have run into a few caches like you mention that aren't listed as the right size. Size isn't due to the size of the container, but the amount of room inside that container to place swag and the like.

I did a quick look at the nearest caches to one of your recent finds and... you're right! :anibad: Most of them were small or micro, and of the few regulars some were either probably missing or very difficult. My only suggestion is, come to Suffolk County, Long Island New York! I could take you out any morning and show you a dozen ammo box caches before lunch. And a dozen more after lunch. And that doesn't even count the good sized Lock&Locks we would pass by. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live here. B)

Go place more regular sized caches.
See post #6
The author of post #6 is not the OP.

True. But the OP may find it difficult to find a decent place to hide a regular size cache that isn't already occupied by a micro, as was the problem for the CO in post #6.

I'm going to the army surplus store this week for ammo cans. Now the trick is to find a place that isn't infested with micros. Does anyone know if you can talk to a current cache owner and give them a different container, then maybe edit the size of the cache? That's a just in case I cant find an unoccupied spot. I'm sure I can though, I just want to make sure I place it in an area people will actually visit, I would hate for the bugs to be forgotten like the ones I found.

Go place more regular sized caches.
See post #6
The author of post #6 is not the OP.

True. But the OP may find it difficult to find a decent place to hide a regular size cache that isn't already occupied by a micro, as was the problem for the CO in post #6.

The post #6 author identified a good solution: go outside of town to place a regular size cache. I'm pretty familiar with Santa Cruz and it's not that big. I've cleared on a much wider radius than the entire town of Santa Cruz. Even if the CO lives in the heart of town it's only a few miles before it gets heavily forested and I imagine plenty of places to hide a regular. Unless there are transportation issues which prevent someone from driving a couple of miles out of town I don't get why, those that live in a larger town need to try and hide more caches in the city. Frankly, I've lived in cities long enough to know that I'd rather leave it to go looking for caches.

I agree with the 'Revisit' a good TB cache idea...

I use this tactic from time to time. If I have a trackable that I want to get 'on the road' there is a cache within 10 miles of my house that's well hidden off of a park and ride by the Interstate. I'll drop them there and post a 'note' to log the drop. There's a nice ammo can in a park where I have a few 1.5 quart small caches that I'll put larger ones, and have already used my new small hides as a place to drop one bug.

Revisits are nice - sometimes you see things that you overlooked the first time since you can focus more on your surroundings and its fun to see the new stuff in the cache container too. Of course don't log 'found it' more than once

When I review my stats I often wonder why I bother to pick up bugs:

Micro 1295 47.9 %

Regular 599 22.2 %

Small 507 18.7 %

Not chosen 187 6.93 %

Other 74 2.74 %

Virtual 25 0.92 %

Large 11 0.40 %

I try to avoid putting a bug in a multi or mystery, since they don't get as many visits.

And there have been plenty of days when I haven't found a single regular. :anibad:

You could move to New Jersey!

We may be a small state but we have big caches! (well regular anyway)

My finds:

22% Micro

27% Small

41% Regular

1% Large

9% Other/Virtual/Not chosen

Over 80% were big enough to place a TB.

Edited by weathernowcast

It appears you live on the West side of town. There are more larger sized caches on the West and North sides than anywhere else in the Houston metro area. I don't seem to have trouble moving TBs. I'm SW and I have a few TB hotels around town.

Come to some events and check out hgcs.org. That's where the locals hang out.

I thought this thread was scheduled for the last week of the month, not the first one? :)

1. Hide a larger cache yourself.

2. Revisit a larger cache just to drop the TB's.

3. Attend an event and drop them there.

4. Only grab TB's when you are traveling outside your home area or can really help them with their goals.

I'm going to the army surplus store this week for ammo cans. Now the trick is to find a place that isn't infested with micros. Does anyone know if you can talk to a current cache owner and give them a different container, then maybe edit the size of the cache? That's a just in case I cant find an unoccupied spot. I'm sure I can though, I just want to make sure I place it in an area people will actually visit, I would hate for the bugs to be forgotten like the ones I found.

If theres micro overload in the area, most likely thats all the area will support. i'm talking urban, not forest