Opinion on Spooky Cache Locations

Just a quick one, whats everones opinion on caches placed in spooky or unnerving locations?

Theres a place near me that could be great for a cache, and old tree that for some reason is painted with bright red paint thats almost bloodlike in places. Theres a bit of litter in the area (maybe an old hang out area for kids?) so I'd have to CITO that first.

Nevertheless, you cant help going near the area without a chill running down your spine...

So, anyone else have similar experiences with owned/visited caches?

Edited by Dan+Jodie

I love macabre spots - and if I find a good one, enhance it with the support of the likes of those such as Edgar Allen Poe, like with this cache The Raven.

That being said, I love caches in creepy places, although I must confess some caches in "creepy spots" didn't even strike me as unusual, since I was too busy focused on finding the cache. I suppose "spooky" is subjective.

That being said, I love caches in creepy places, although I must confess some caches in "creepy spots" didn't even strike me as unusual, since I was too busy focused on finding the cache. I suppose "spooky" is subjective.

There is a tiny park near us that I think of as excessively sweet and quaint (too cute). The cache (GC1FE) is easy to find and the area is very safe and well-maintained. In May and June the entire area is awash in flowers. The cache itself has good stuff in it. So I think of this cache as an excellent beginner's cache and it's on my list of favorites. I've recommended it to people new to geocaching. Recently someone found it and noted in their log that it was spooky and reminiscent of chainsaw murderers. It is amazing how subjective these things are. :anitongue:

Carolyn

The problem w/ all the good scary locations, is many are on private property..... My company is building a moselium (sp?) early next year, I checked out the site and obviously a graveyard is around it, but that would be a great location! Only problem is that it's private property...

There's a kewl cave near my house that I'd like to try a cache in sometime... It's not a deep cave, I haven't been there in years, so kids could hang out there all the time, but it's a nice hike overlooking an interstate, again, not dangerous in any way, but I'd think caves would be a great spooky location, especially at dusk or night time!!!!!

There is a tiny park near us that I think of as excessively sweet and quaint (too cute). The cache (GC1FE) is easy to find and the area is very safe and well-maintained. In May and June the entire area is awash in flowers. The cache itself has good stuff in it. So I think of this cache as an excellent beginner's cache and it's on my list of favorites. I've recommended it to people new to geocaching. Recently someone found it and noted in their log that it was spooky and reminiscent of chainsaw murderers. It is amazing how subjective these things are. :anibad:

Carolyn

There is a cache not far from where that I can't seem to find (the listing...I've never done it) called 7 curves or something like that. It's along a narrow, very turny road in a rural area. I don't recall the story that goes along with it (I'm not much help, am I) but I've talked to several people that found the cache and everyone of them said there was just something really creepy about it.

I found one in an abandoned cabin on public land, just off the trail. The building was falling part, but someone had taken bones and skulls of animals and lined various beams in the cabin with them. I don't think I would want to spend the night there.

Then there are caches that simply contain something spooky. The one in the woods where you had to reach deep into a "bloody container" filled with eyes. Or the "gravestone" that someone brought out to use as a prop in the middle of nowhere.

We are planing a trip to NJ and I noticed the Weird New Jersey site with such things as Shades of Death Road, with its share of apparitions and paranormal activity. I need to see if there are any caches around that spot. I wish I could find something like that locally. So a Spooky Cache Location sounds good to me.

Imagine walking into a very old cemetery at night and seeing THIS in your flashlight beam.

It's such a shame that it costs $90. I'd get this is a heartbeat...especially for some of the old, OLD cemeteries that we have in the South.

Your link didn't work.

Oops. Try THIS and search for DB-383020 instead. Sorry 'bout that.

Just a quick one, whats everones opinion on caches placed in spooky or unnerving locations?

Theres a place near me that could be great for a cache, and old tree that for some reason is painted with bright red paint thats almost bloodlike in places. Theres a bit of litter in the area (maybe an old hang out area for kids?) so I'd have to CITO that first.

Nevertheless, you cant help going near the area without a chill running down your spine...

So, anyone else have similar experiences with owned/visited caches?

LOTS of GREAT places in Shreveport, LA.... as that is where they are filming HBO's "TRUE BLOOD". Although they did come to Dallas for a few days of filming a few months ago. :D

TGC

There's a series in West Michigan of paranormal caches... one that stands out in my mind is Paranormal Michigan #2 - Legends of the Hill. It's a cemetery cache, so there's no night caching, but it's still a fairly creepy location. After you park your first task is to walk up the Stairway to Hell. It's within the Grand Haven city limits, but also has a rather large deer population so you could hear them scurrying around in the nearby woods atop a very large nearby hill (the Stairway to hill takes you to a plateau on this hill, so there's still quite a bit of hill left once you reach Ground Zero). The first time we were there I swear it was like the squirrels were attacking us or something. It was probably due to tree cover, but our GPS also would never settle in on a location. All these things together just kinda combined to make it a spooky cache location.

We recently searched for a cache that I later found out had been replaced by another. Really the location was not that bad. Out in the country under a concrete overpass but once you got down there it was just weird. There was a ton of graphiti on the wall and something about the spot just made me feel all itchy and creeped out. We looked for a bit until I could not handle it any more. Not to mention we kept hearing what sounded like someone walking overhead on the pass. But nobody was there. I finally said enough and literally ran back to the car! :blink: Once I'm spooked my imagination takes over and there is no stopping me. Even worse, it was daytime!!! No way could I do an old cemetary at night or some old creepy church. I don't believe in the dead haunting you. That's just not what the bible says is going on. But I do believe in evil spirits that are more than happy to play along with whatever your mind might cook up!!!