"Hidden" movie cache sites

LukeBelkin

<_< We are currently wrapping up production on a movie which involves a geocaching/killer setup. I can't give many details on the film, but you can look at www.confusionfilms.com for more information, I play the part of Luke Belkin. Anyways, we are wanting to hide the film throughout the world in a small, fun promotion, due to the nature of what we have here, and I was wondering if there would be anyone interested in helping to hide "Hidden" (the original title of Bloodcache is on the site, but it has been changed).

For anyone interested in helping to hide these for me, it would be very much appreciated, I can provide two copies of the film, one for you, and the one to be hidden for others to obtain it. This is a low-budget film so I can't exactly pay you, but it's all for the fun!

Sounds like a neat idea, assuming you comply with the guidelines about commercial caches:

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak.

(emphasis added by me)

A series of puzzle/multi/adventure caches following side plots and/or providing background stories for the film would be awesome.

And while it'll likely never happen again on this site, check out the history of the Project A.P.E. caches.

Edited by J-Way

J-Way, I really appreciate the input you have provided! I had seen the commercial use tab and by no means is that what we are trying to do (of course publicity is nice, but we have been just having fun with this project from start to finish). I didn't realize that they did that with the A.P.E. Project, that was pretty darn cool.

When our Director came up with the idea for hiding these, since the story is based around an entire geocache plot, he handed that information over to me to find locations. I had three continents covered, but my contacts are a little untrustworthy for providing exact coordinates to locate the cache sites, which in turn would either make us look bad for those trying to locate them, or just be a lost cause all together.

I was just needing to find people who actually knew what they were doing for hiding these for us, if my original post isn't vague enough or looks to commercial, please let me know and I'll take out most of it and just keep it very simple.

As for your other statement, one of the ideas that I'm going to shoot over the production team is to do an intro that explains what geocaching is (I didn't know until I became a part of this project), and provides the history of where it originated. If at all possible, I would even like to include this site as a reference in the intro and at the end of the film, for those who would like to become interested in it and gather more information, I would just need to know who to get ahold of on that.

For anyone interested in helping to hide these for me, it would be very much appreciated, I can provide two copies of the film, one for you, and the one to be hidden for others to obtain it. This is a low-budget film so I can't exactly pay you, but it's all for the fun!

I'm getting ready to publish a new cache that's a 50 cal ammo can, plenty of room for a copy of your film. <_<

I've been planning on setting up a cache at broomstick lake in one of my local towns. Its the site where they filmed the original Last of the Mohicans. Just give me all the info you think I'll need and a the two copies and I'll gladly set one out. I may even watch the one copy and then put it in another cache for others to see. That's if I can get permission to put it in a place called Brayhouse Gore. Swizzle

I'll get ahold of them and find out, have them read through this post. I definitely see everyone's concern, but we won't advertise any of it on here, I just needed some cache planters to help me out (this no-budget thing tends to keep me only in northern Missouri).

I'll get with Groundspeak, and see if I need to pull some of the verbage out of here.

Edited: I did send them an email explaining the situation, I guess if there is anyone out there that would like to place this for us, just add to the posting for now, and/or PM me so I have the information of who you are, just in case they do end up deleting the post (which is totally understandable.)

Edited by LukeBelkin

It looks like your filming just north of SLAGA stomping grounds (St. Louis Area Geocachers Association). Here's the link to their website: SLAGA.

At the top of the site is a contact link. Give them a ring and they may have some folks that would be happy to help you out. One of the cache reviewers for Missouri is a member.

Edited by Pax42

I don't think simply putting a copy of the movie in a cache would violate any guidelines. That's all you're asking, right? Not for the cache itself to promote the movie.

I'd be happy to place one for you. I have an ammo can ready to go and just today I was at a county park in eastern Long Island that, surprisingly, only seems to have one cache in it. That needs to be fixed! :anitongue:

I don't think simply putting a copy of the movie in a cache would violate any guidelines. That's all you're asking, right? Not for the cache itself to promote the movie.

I'd be happy to place one for you. I have an ammo can ready to go and just today I was at a county park in eastern Long Island that, surprisingly, only seems to have one cache in it. That needs to be fixed! :anitongue:

Thats correct, it's just putting a copy of the movie in the cache, I wasn't trying to advertise it on here at all. You guys are definitely the experts at hiding things (next to my daughter when it comes to the remote or my ex-wife when it comes to,....nevermind) and that is why I was just asking for help on that.

If you are using this site to promote a movie (or anything) your best bet is to work with the folk at Groundspeak.

You can reach them at contact@geocaching.com

Due to the commercial nature of this thread I'm closing it. If Groundspeak gives their OK it can be opened again.

Sounds like a neat idea, assuming you comply with the guidelines about commercial caches:

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak.

(emphasis added by me)

A series of puzzle/multi/adventure caches following side plots and/or providing background stories for the film would be awesome.

And while it'll likely never happen again on this site, check out the history of the Project A.P.E. caches.

Why would something like Project A.P.E. not happen again?

I thank you all so much for the support, having professionals help me hide this item makes it all worth while! Everyone that has offered so far, I will be getting back to you all with information as it all comes along, within the next day I should be able to reply to all of you!

I thank you all so much for the support, having professionals help me hide this item makes it all worth while! Everyone that has offered so far, I will be getting back to you all with information as it all comes along, within the next day I should be able to reply to all of you!

Wichita, Kansas

I'll do one for you in south central Kansas. I have hidden lots of caches and plan on hiding lots more. I can include a geocoin tracking number for the movie and include that so its adventures can be logged using the geocoin. I can also show off the movie at a geocaching event if that's allowed, and let people know that it will soon be in a newly published geocache. We have social events in my area twice a month.

Shoot me an email and I can give you a mailing address and phone number.

cantuland

I REALLY hope your movie does NOT demonstrate the typical geocache as a BURIED object. Geocaches are not supposed to be buried. Some other movie or tv series had geocaching as part of the plot and they presented geocaches as something where a party of people go out and dig it up with a bunch of shovels. That one mistakenly portrayed Geocaching as an environmentally unfriendly activity, and struck a nerve with geocachers everywhere, hence my warding to you now.

cantuland

For the intro to our project, would anyone object to me quoting some of what you all have been saying in this post, to help add to the understanding of geocaching? Especially yours cantuland, we only have one cache that I can think of that would qualify as being the environmental unfriendly, which I'll explain in a PM to you, but there is a different meaning behind that. I want people to have a basic understanding of what geocaching is.

I'd be happy to hide one in Eastern WA for you. we are in the process of making our first cache and would love to do a movie theme to include this film. let me know what I can do to help. I hav a nephew that is into independant films and makes them, I may be able to include some of his films in here as well. that would be great!!!!!

I REALLY hope your movie does NOT demonstrate the typical geocache as a BURIED object. Geocaches are not supposed to be buried.

cantuland

Anyone else notice the irony? The above poster lives in... Kansas. The oldest active geocache is BURIED in...

KANSAS!!! Not being critical of anyone or anything. I just thought it was funny B) Maybe I'm warped :mad:

yep, prolly so... :blink:

I, too, thought it was ironic when I found it. It's buried, but it has a "lid" instead of being covered with a bunch of dirt. Back when that one was set, they also suggested that you could put in a can of beer with your geocache. That's out these days too. So that oldest geocache has some "grandfathered in" kinds of traits with it.

And I think Kansas is the most awesome state that there is...except for the winters and summers in the same week, and the lack of real mountains, and year-round wheat always there as far as the eye can see, and...

Everyone who has responded wanting to hide a cache for us, I will be using you all! I thank all of you so much, I'll probably stop the number at 50 (I have 31 so far), all that have replied at this time will be used, I will contact each of you personally with information. And yes, our director did agree to do an intro at the beginning now explaining the sport and art of geocaching, and once I reach the 50 mark, I will let everyone know and soon we will become "Hidden" thanks to all of you.

I will have replies to each of you within the week to get you updates, and you will all see the irony in what I say, which is what my life will always be full of (you will understand when I reply), and asides from the movie, I will give you one of my famous camping recipes that my ex-wife wants badly from me (which I will give her once child support goes away :) ) and one that my new wife (yes for some of you, at 31, I've already done it twice) has me make once a month.

Again, thank you all, you guys are the greatest, I'm not blowing smoke. If you meet me, you will understand I'm pure genuine and northern Missouri may open a chapter, because I already have a list of 15 people who may be joining, this truly is an awesome sport!