eTrex H

egami

We used to use the Lowrance iFinder Go for our LP truck drivers to obtain a manual GPS reading to be entered into our system for LP tank location. We are looking at going to the eTrex H now for this function. Can anyone who has one, or extensive experience with one, tell me if it's possible to have the unit turn on and have the GPS reading be on the first page? Thanks.

I don't think so. When you first turn it on you get the satellites page, and i havent read or seen anywhere on how to do that kind of customization.

Correct, and when the gpsr gets a lock, the coordinates for the current location are displayed on that page.

Ok, so if it fires up to the satellite page by default I can handle it if it gives me the LAT/LONG with them having to navigate. Is this what you're telling me they'll see?

Egami - I don't have me hTrex anymore (it wasn't the H model, but the functions would be the same). The satellite page shows a simulation of the sky and the relative position of the satellites that the unit is looking for. After the unit is locked on the satellites, the current position of the unit - lat/long - also displays on that page. I don't remember whether the unit stays on that page after getting a lock or if it automatically scrolls to one of the other pages. But, even if it does, it is easy enough to scroll back to the satellite page.

Having said this, if you want to navigate to a known location, I don't think that is the page you want to use (or, I'm not quite understanding the question that you are asking). Instead, I think you want the compass page - you can use that to get information about direction and distance to that location. With any of the units in the Garmin eTrex series you would have to scroll to get to that page.

Egami - I don't have me hTrex anymore (it wasn't the H model, but the functions would be the same). The satellite page shows a simulation of the sky and the relative position of the satellites that the unit is looking for. After the unit is locked on the satellites, the current position of the unit - lat/long - also displays on that page. I don't remember whether the unit stays on that page after getting a lock or if it automatically scrolls to one of the other pages. But, even if it does, it is easy enough to scroll back to the satellite page.

My main issue is I don't want the user to have to change a single thing. Turn it on, get the info, turn it off.

Having said this, if you want to navigate to a known location, I don't think that is the page you want to use (or, I'm not quite understanding the question that you are asking). Instead, I think you want the compass page - you can use that to get information about direction and distance to that location. With any of the units in the Garmin eTrex series you would have to scroll to get to that page.

They aren't using it for navigation. Just simply gathering a GPS location to enter into the system. Nothing more, nothing less. The drive to a location, plop an LP tank on the ground, record the location.

You can not turn any GPS on and get a location immediately. It takes a few minutes at least to get a location fix and then get the accuracy down to an acceptable level after turning it on.

Yeah, I've used GPSr's for years...I am aware of that, I was simply trying to emphasize the need for simplicity and them not needing to understand how to navigate the menus.

In fact, we've been doing this described process for years within the company...this isn't a new process. This is an established process. I am looking for a new device. Nothing more.

Edited by egami
They aren't using it for navigation. Just simply gathering a GPS location to enter into the system. Nothing more, nothing less. The drive to a location, plop an LP tank on the ground, record the location.

The eTrex H should do that. Based on your description of how you will use it, it sounds as though they will be writing down the coordinates rather than recording the location with the gps. I'm guessing they can do that just fine with the eTrex H and probably able to do it by just turning the unit off and on. If you want to record the location with the gps rather than writing it down, I would take one step up and get the Venture HC - that unit comes with a USB cable that enables communication with the computer.

The eTrex H should do that. Based on your description of how you will use it, it sounds as though they will be writing down the coordinates rather than recording the location with the gps. I'm guessing they can do that just fine with the eTrex H and probably able to do it by just turning the unit off and on. If you want to record the location with the gps rather than writing it down, I would take one step up and get the Venture HC - that unit comes with a USB cable that enables communication with the computer.

Yeah, I want to go to any automated process that connects to a hand held PC, but that may be down the road.

Right now they go to the spot, drop the tank, take the GPS reading and write it down to enter into the system electronically later.

Appreciate the help. I thought that was going to be a relatively easy, straight-forward request. :)

Yeah, I want to go to any automated process that connects to a hand held PC, but that may be down the road.

Right now they go to the spot, drop the tank, take the GPS reading and write it down to enter into the system electronically later.

Appreciate the help. I thought that was going to be a relatively easy, straight-forward request. :wub:

Hope this isn't too late, but the Vista HCx has a 'Page Sequence' in the set-up page. You can add, remove and order the pages as you like. If you remove all the pages except the 'Satellite' page, you got it. You'd have to check the model you're thinking of buying to see if it has the same, I bet the cheaper model does the same. You can download the various manuals from Garmin.