Looking for an area for a numbers run

Skippermark

We're looking for an area that would be good to make as a destination for a numbers run that's more suburban than city and not crazy with traffic, and Plainfield, NJ caught our eye. There looks to be a variety of caches in the area and wondered if it might fit what we're looking for.

We'll cache just about anywhere but don't want to visit a dirty/unsafe area. Also, are there any camping suggestions in the area? How about the hotels/motels? Are they respectable?

If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know. I love the NJ coast, but that would be crazy busy this time of year. Thanks!

We're looking for an area that would be good to make as a destination for a numbers run that's more suburban than city and not crazy with traffic, and Plainfield, NJ caught our eye. There looks to be a variety of caches in the area and wondered if it might fit what we're looking for.

We'll cache just about anywhere but don't want to visit a dirty/unsafe area. Also, are there any camping suggestions in the area? How about the hotels/motels? Are they respectable?

If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know. I love the NJ coast, but that would be crazy busy this time of year. Thanks!

This might not be what you are looking for but you could pick up close to pick up a lot of caches with quality hiking over a weekend.

Check out all the caches around:

N 41° 03.719 W 074° 15.013

you can camp at

http://www.glengray.org/

Cape Cod Very Clean, very pleasant , flatter than Lawn Guyland and only half as many lawn guylanders, good seafood restaurants==excellent clam chowda--shopping for the wife, lots of conservation areas with trails that are soft on the feet, not like the rocky eroded stuff we have here. Tons of caches throughout. and a weekend trip for you.Camping in many locations, hotels and motels all over the place, a geocaching blog. a 25 mile long bike path. a couple more bike paths 7 miles and 4 miler. Golf. And a favorite of mine, stripers on the in coming tide at Sts. Landing.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/trailhound

Edited by Packanack

Well, Plainfield proper is actually somewhat unsafe. :anibad: But there aren't many caches there, were you looking slightly NW at The Watchung Reservation? There are boatloads of caches there, but it would involve hiking. South of that (South Plainfield, Edison etc..) there are tons of caches of the short suburban variety. Personally, I'd consider the traffic in these endless suburban areas, even on weekends, to be heavy. But I'm not a Central NJ person, just someone who has visited on several occasions.

If you're looking to rack up major numbers NJ isn't the place. You can find some clusters where you can bag 5, 10 or maybe more in a shot but most would likely involve some hiking.

Maybe a day of caching around Bergen County could rack you up some numbers but you have confusing roads, sometimes choaked with traffic and not a lot of major clusters.

If you want a good old fashioned day of racking up big numbers by going from strip mall to strip mall, you'll have to head across the river to PA.

If you're looking to rack up major numbers NJ isn't the place. You can find some clusters where you can bag 5, 10 or maybe more in a shot but most would likely involve some hiking.

Maybe a day of caching around Bergen County could rack you up some numbers but you have confusing roads, sometimes choaked with traffic and not a lot of major clusters.

If you want a good old fashioned day of racking up big numbers by going from strip mall to strip mall, you'll have to head across the river to PA.

It's hardly true to say that NJ, even Northern NJ, is without high-number destinations (depending on what you consider a number run).

We did about 20 caches in a day in the general area of the ruins of an old zoo in NE NJ. See this one.

A friend just picked up a bunch in a day in the Blairstown area. I can't say what kind of caches they were, but there's a great family campground nearby that I can recommend.

Double Trouble State Park would probably be considered Central NJ, but we had a terrific day biking/hiking/caching around there, and we got over 30 on a Summer weekend-day. Most of the caches were hidden by a cacher named, Arrow One, who went around on bike to hide them all. There was a really neat mystery cache (easy puzzle, very cool spot) there and a multi that we would have gotten if we had more time there.

My favorite place in the state to recommend for this would be an area I called the NJ Tunnel Tour, where we were able to do 20+ caches in a day, bookended by Darkness at Van Nest Gap and Manunka Chunk Tunnels, two absolute, must-do caches in NJ. We could have done more that day, but we spent a lot of extra time exploring the two tunnels and it was well worth it.

Edited by captainmath

Skippermark, I noticed that you're coming to the Central Park Proto Picnic event so you might want to ask folks there, I think quite a few "number runners" (not that I'm one of them, LOL!) are coming. I know that in addition to NJ, there are LOTS of caches on Long Island.

Actually, if all goes well and we're there, looking forward to seeing the face behind the name after all the past correspondance. Too bad I didn't get a chance to do much caching while I was up your way parts of this summer.

We did about 20 caches in a day in the general area of the ruins of an old zoo in NE NJ. See this one.

Wow, Jungle Habitat, I really need to look at Jersey caches more (darn tolls!). I remember as a little kid all those commercials with Bugs and Daffy! Never ended up going there back then, I always thought for some reason that JH became the safari of Six Flags Great Adventure but I guess it was elsewhere.....

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

It's hardly true to say that NJ, even Northern NJ, is without high-number destinations (depending on what you consider a number run).

Yes, but was it an evil petting zoo?

A friend just picked up a bunch in a day in the Blairstown area. I can't say what kind of caches they were, but there's a great family campground nearby that I can recommend.

I could actually see that around Blairstown. A lot of cemetery caches and "easy" caches placed mostly by one account. Nothing crazy like 100 in a day or anything though.

It does depend on what someone considers to be a numbers run. 20 in a day northern NJ would be considered a numbers run by most locals, but in other areas 20 would just be warming up.