How many cachers are in your city/town?

As far as I know, I am the ONLY Geocacher in my town, Bayfield, Colorado. There are a handful in the next town over, Durango, Colorado, but even there, there is only maybe 8-10 Geocachers.

So I am curious, how many of you are the ONLY geocacher in your town? Do you have trouble finding new caches? Most new caches that I get emailed to me would be over 100 miles round trip if I want to be first to find. Also, I have seen new geocaches take 1-2 weeks before there is a FTF. We even have one that is three weeks old here that has not been found yet (120 mile round trip for me to go there).

Or do you live in a city where a FTF is timed in "minutes from publication"?

I am the only geocacher in my city of ~300,000 inhabitants. No caches published within city limits. No caches published within county limits.

I think I'm the only geocacher in my region. There are a few others, but they work farther away, and come home only during holidays.

There are 5 caches within 100km (62 miles) of my house.

My fastest FTF was 8 days after publishing.

My closest unfound cache is a micro in a crowded place, roundtrip is 272km (169 miles).

Edited by Dj Storm

As far as I know, I am the ONLY Geocacher in my town, Bayfield, Colorado. There are a handful in the next town over, Durango, Colorado, but even there, there is only maybe 8-10 Geocachers.

So I am curious, how many of you are the ONLY geocacher in your town? Do you have trouble finding new caches? Most new caches that I get emailed to me would be over 100 miles round trip if I want to be first to find. Also, I have seen new geocaches take 1-2 weeks before there is a FTF. We even have one that is three weeks old here that has not been found yet (120 mile round trip for me to go there).

I live in a city where I took 12 minutes to get to a cache and I was 8th to get there. And it wasn't even a central cache.

I am the only geocacher in my city of ~300,000 inhabitants. No caches published within city limits. No caches published within county limits.

I think I'm the only geocacher in my region. There are a few others, but they work farther away, and come home only during holidays.

My closest unfound cache is a micro in a crowded place, roundtrip is 272km (169 miles).

If you were in the USA your story would be completely different. In a city of your size there would be many cachers and there would probably always be a few crazy FTF hounds. You have a great opportunity to work to develop geocaching in your area. Many benefits are possible including more local caches for you to hunt. And friends to meet!

In my area the FTF is often within minutes of the cache being published. The crazy thing is the second to find may be several days later!

I've traveled through your town and even found some of your caches <_< One that you disabled recently, we thought we found totally dismantled (cache holder on the ground, no log) but others seemed to have found it later so I removed the needs maintenance log (Ben's Full Plate) and I think I was still new so I didn't post a DNF log. Out of curiosity, what happened to it?

In my town there are probably 10-15 cachers who are fairly active. A good fraction of these love puzzle caches as do the cachers who don't live here but who work up here at the Lab. There isn't a high rate of new caches being hidden but certainly no traditional cache goes more than a day or two without a ftf because there are a few who love FTFs and in the greater NM area there are others who will think of nothing to drive a few hours for one. In general, most of the new caches I get are in the 25 mile crow flies range (often meaning 40 or so by road) and are often in Santa Fe.

Thanks for the Bayfield caches :D We had a fun time going through there.

In my town of 1300, there are two other serious cachers that I know of. However, we just gave a geocaching presentation at the library, so we've got a few n00bs now. One town over, though, there are probably a half dozen serious cachers in a town of 3000 people.

Caches in town or on main roads are found the same day, but caches out in the country or in the woods might take a couple days to get a FTF.

In my area the FTF is often within minutes of the cache being published. The crazy thing is the second to find may be several days later!

No need to rush out if ftf is gone at 3am

if its more than 3mi away i don't bother because most of our hounds have cars and i don't.

My town has about 20K people (and growing). Currently, in the boundaries of my town there are 92 non-archived caches placed by 36 user accounts. There are 13 accounts that have placed more than one cache, and 6 accounts have placed more than five active caches.

We have...

1 micro Letterbox

8 mystery caches (5 micros and 3 regulars)

7 multi-caches (3 micros, 2 small, 2 regulars)

76 traditionals (39 micros, 18 regulars, 17 small and 2 other)

None of the caches have anything higher than either a 3.5 on terrain or a 3.5 on difficulty.

One of the disadvantages of living 'out there' is that not many others are 'out there either. :anitongue:

Lots of cachers here, most FTF's are found within the hour. A normal event has 50-60 show up. And lots of cachers in other metropolitan areas an hour or two in several directions too.