Garmin Dakota 20

rjerry

I have had my Dakota 20 now for 4 days:first the good: The screen is very readable in bright sunlight. I sold my Oregon because of that very issue. Accuracy while walking down a road was 22 feet and when I moved into some fairly heavy cover woods it dropped to 34 feet and I am very happy with that.This is a nice unit.The bad: the screen brightness with the back light could be better. It is not as bright as most of the other units I have owned . The UGLY: When I returned from my hike I down loaded my track into mapsource and the program automatically shut the unit down. I have not been able to get it to start up since. I have tried 3 different sets of battery's and still no go. It will act like it wants to start and will display Garmin at the bottom of the screen and then the screen goes blank. Bummer. Guess I will be calling Garmin first thing in the morning.

THE UGLY PART IS FIXED....after about a half hour session with a Garmin Tech we were able to get it going again. Something in the files had got corrupted and caused it to shut down.Something in the GPX files.Wish I could elaborate more but I am not that computer literate. It is better and Garmin Tech support is top notch.

THE UGLY PART IS FIXED....after about a half hour session with a Garmin Tech we were able to get it going again. Something in the files had got corrupted and caused it to shut down.Something in the GPX files.Wish I could elaborate more but I am not that computer literate. It is better and Garmin Tech support is top notch.

This is known to occasionally happen with the Oregons too.

Fortunately in these situations the unit still supports USB mass storage mode and allows you to remove the offending files and is almost always user-recoverable.

I've had my Dakota 20 for 2 days and the only real complaint I have is the backlight is too dim. If one is wearing sunglasses, as in driving a car, it's really hard to see that screen very well. I also wish that when the unit is in routing mode, the data you can put at the top in either 2 boxes or 4 boxes (especially the 4!) takes up too much precious screen space. The data boxes should be smaller. I know car travel is not what it was made for, and it sure beats my eTrex Venture HC, but is bad compared to my wife's nuvi 255W. The good thing is is that each data box can be changed to whatever data you want to show.... and the list is long!